The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 26, 2011, 07:47 PM   #1
deanicus

Lee Enfield I.D??

Just got this enfield and I can't seem to figure out what the make is... there aren't many markings on the gun, well not as elaborate as what i've seen online. It says No 4 Mk1, but its not stamped it looks electro-penciled.. but ill post some pics if anyone can help with the ID..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Enfield 1.jpg (250.0 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg enfield1.jpg (243.2 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg enfield3.jpg (242.4 KB, 152 views)
Old January 26, 2011, 08:06 PM   #2
Morgo

Do you have a picture of the whole rifle?
Old January 26, 2011, 08:16 PM   #3
jaguarxk120

Try this web page for the makers markings http://home.earthlink.net/~smithkaia8/id3.html

List's the different mfgrs that made the No 4 rifle and their markings.
Old January 26, 2011, 08:58 PM   #4
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I believe that the B marking means it is a Birmingham Small Arms rifle, made at their main factory in Birmingham England (as opposed to the Shirley factory). Obviously, made in 1943.
Old January 26, 2011, 09:46 PM   #5
deanicus

isn't it unusual that there are no markings on the receiver... well no original looking markings.. all the pics i have seen have "stamped markings..
Old January 26, 2011, 10:09 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Different rebuild practices. US arsenals and depots tried to retain the original factory markings and serial numbers if possible. The British didn't care; they just ground everything off and re-marked the guns using electric pencil.

Jim
Old January 27, 2011, 06:26 PM   #7
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Quote:
Isn't it unusual that there are no markings on the receiver... well no original looking markings..
The original marking is the letter "B". During World War II, the British used obscure markings to disguise the location of manufacture of the parts. I'm not sure why, perhaps they thought the Germans would be able to identify where the parts were made and bomb the factory. Anyway, the one you have posted has the extremely common and well documented "B", meaning it was made by BSA in Birmingham, England in 1943. The "No. 4 Mark 1" marking is original. Assuming the bore is bright and has no pitting, you have a very nice BSA that should shoot very well.

If you doubt the that the markings are original, how much would you like for the rifle?
Old January 27, 2011, 11:04 PM   #8
deanicus

SwampYankee:
I dont think ill be selling this rifle. It just seemed off because a friend of mine has a longbranch, and it is clearly marked, so I wanted to get some more info.. And I must say, as its my first time on a forum, You guys have been very helpful. and as far as this gun shooting well, I will find out this weekend.
Old January 27, 2011, 11:22 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

I was under the impression that BSA made No. 4 rifles only at Shirley and that they used the code M47C. The other makers were ROF(Fazakerley), ROF(Maltby), Long Branch (Canada) and Savage (U.S.). If I am wrong, I would appreciate correction.

Jim
Old January 28, 2011, 08:25 AM   #10
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Yes, the Shirley rifles were marked M47C but they also made rifles at the other factory and those were marked "B". They had other factories also doing small parts work and those factories used other M47 codes.

As I mentioned, the British commonly used these obscure marks and had dozens (if not hundreds) of suppliers for many of the different parts. You can even find BSA rifles with ROF parts on them. Longbranch was the Canadian manufacturer and their rifles are very clearly marked as such.
Old February 5, 2011, 11:57 PM   #11
T. O'Heir

Hi. Go here. http://www.enfieldrifles.ca/main.htm

Tags
lee enfield , no 4 mk1