The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 24, 2011, 12:02 PM   #1
ScotchLove

Need help identifying a rifle!

I have an old rifle here in pretty bad shape, I guess, it looks like crap. But I would like to know what kind it is anyway, just for fun. Maybe it's worth restoring it who knows.

Now it's Breech-loaded and the inside of the barrel is 8mm so i guess that would make it a .32? I don't know a lot about firearms. But I guess it would be a black powder gun? Is that what you call it? On one side it says: 1873, and on the other: 922. 1873 I guess is the year the rifle was made? But I have no idea about the 922, the 922:nd rifle maybe?

The stock and, well most of the rifle.... is in **** poor shape, as you can see.

So if anyone knows what it is, I'd be glad to know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00707.jpg (242.7 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00710.jpg (245.1 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00708.jpg (245.5 KB, 83 views)
Old January 24, 2011, 12:03 PM   #2
ScotchLove

Remaining picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00709.jpg (242.8 KB, 76 views)
Old January 24, 2011, 12:09 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

so there are no markings on top of the barrel at all?

It looks like it could be a Remington Rolling Block, but if it is it should be marked on the barrel.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 24, 2011, 01:13 PM   #4
mapsjanhere

Looks like one of the military versions where someone shortened the stock and moved the second barrel band (with the swivel) close to the first. Probably need a good picture of the rear sight to identify more closely. The odd part is the caliber, most of those were made during the black powder era, using 11 mm bullets. 8 mm would mean a post 1886 rebarrel (possible if the country introduced a new caliber and rebarreled old single-shots for militia/national guard type duties).
Old January 24, 2011, 01:16 PM   #5
natman

It's a Remington Rolling Block, but that's about all you can tell without proof marks or some other clues.
Old January 24, 2011, 01:47 PM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

Many Rolling Blocks were made in the transitional and post smokeless eras for small bore cartridges, as well.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 24, 2011, 02:29 PM   #7
Jim Watson

It looks like an early Swedish rolling block.
Before 1875 they had separate locking screws for the big block and hammer action pins but then went to the single plate like a real Remington.
So 1873 is likely the year of manufacture and you have gun no 922 of that year... they started serial numbers over at 1 every year.

They started out in 12.7 mm rimfire, then went to 12.7mm centerfire, similar but not identical to US .50-70.
Later still they converted some to 8x58R Danish Krag, which seems to be what you have.
Yours looks like a quickie sporterizing job that was not well taken care of. Read about the ins and outs of loading smokeless ammo for a black powder gun, even though they did put in a new breechblock along with the new barrel.

Read up at:
http://dutchman.rebooty.com/rb.html
Old January 24, 2011, 02:44 PM   #8
ScotchLove

An Early Swedish rolling block sounds about right. Because I am from sweden. But wasnt sure if the rifle was. Got it from my half-finnish grandfather who used to have alot of illegal rifles and such

Should have written that in the first post. Sorry! Didn't come to mind then.

Thanks for the help by the way. What's one of those things worth? Is it worth restoring it or is it even worth it's weight in junk, so to speak.
Old January 24, 2011, 03:45 PM   #9
30-30remchester

It appears to be a varent of the famous Remington rolling block. I am not well educated on these but I believe they were once available in 8x50R aka 8mm Lebel. Deffanately needs a chamber cast made to determine proper chambering.
Old January 24, 2011, 03:52 PM   #10
ScotchLove

Just found a very small plus sign, or an x, on top of the barrel. If that matters.
Old January 24, 2011, 04:13 PM   #11
Trond

The mechanism looks like the converted Swedish Remington, but it should then have a producers name stamped in. The original M1867 calibre in mm of the military Swedish Remingtons was 12,17x44, but in 1889 it was converted to 8x58RD.

Military Remington rifles made in Sweden were stamped with the manufacturer on the right hand side of the receiver and on the top of the barrel.

Rifles stamped with a crowned C are made by Carl Gustafs stads gevärsfaktori.
Rifles stamped with an H are made by Husqvarna vapenfabriks AB.
Rifles stamped with an S surmounted by the old type open crown are made by Stockholms gevärsverkstad.
Rifles stamped Cb surmounted by the old type open crown are made by Carlsborgs Tygstation.

Norwegian Military Small-arms 1604-WW2
Old January 24, 2011, 04:27 PM   #12
ScotchLove

Strange.... I don't have any of those markings... And they don't appear to have been filed off or anything. Wierd.