The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 22, 2011, 08:29 PM   #1
cmlocal90

have drilling need help

I have a saure & sohn drilling that is a 16x 16 with a rifle caliber of 44.15 . was this a common model or is this a rare gun worth finding more about?
Old January 22, 2011, 09:19 PM   #2
Scorch

Drillings tend to draw a lot of money from collectors. Sauers tend to draw a lot of money anyway. So your drilling may be worth a bit of cash. There are drillings collectors that advertise in Shotgun News and Field & Stream.

Your drilling rifle barrel is likely chambered for 11mm Mauser. A chamber cast will tell the story. Also have the shotgun chambers cast or measured as they are likely 2-9/16" rather than 2-3/4".
Old January 23, 2011, 12:04 AM   #3
mapsjanhere

If it's really a 11 mm Mauser it's most likely a blackpowder gun, and while people are asking a lot of money for them on gunbroker I haven't seen many move. You need to find a true Sauer collector to make a lot of money from it (and it has to be in the condition for it).
Old January 23, 2011, 03:12 AM   #4
sauerfan

hi mapsjanhere,

sorry, but your question is a little bit like "I have a Ford with black interior tim - value?". It simply can't be answered.

The caliber probably is 11.15 x 65 R as this was a very popular caliber for drillings at the the end of 19th/beginning of 20th century.

Value will depend on model and condition. If it is a model with outer hammers, value will be low. Only if it's a sidelock model with cocking/decocking lever for the rifle barrel, the value will reach a higher level.

Photos would help to tell more.

Regards

Martin