The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 10, 2014, 01:42 PM   #1
Everymanalion

So I am stumped and getting desperate...Marlin 60 problem....

Forgive my horrible gun terminology, I do not know exactly what some parts are called yet so please do not make fun

So I got a used Marlin 60 a little bit ago and I love it, shoots great and a fun little gun, put about 500-700 rounds through it the other day and brought it home and thought I would clean it, watched a few youtube videos, and dissembled it, cleaned it and put it back together, well as I am putting it back together I get to the last couple stages, the rear screw on the triggerguard will not screw into the hole on the action on the actual part of the gun, I have tried every angle, I have made sure it is the correct screw over and over, I have taken the action off and made sure there is enough room and that something didnt happen to the screw, I fiddled with it for about 3 hours yesterday.

Now what happens exactly is I put the triggerguard in, then the screw, the screw instantly falls flush with the triggerguard, no screwing, no resistance but it is loose, not falling into the hole it needs to be in, I screw it in and it does not tighten at all, I take the trigger guard out and it screws in perfectly and catches just like it should. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I am getting somewhat desperate and it is so simple that I do not know what else to try.

Thank you in advance.
Old October 10, 2014, 02:53 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

How long is the screw that goes in the rear of the trigger guard? As a reference, mine is 1 inch long and is pointed so that it will be self-centering. Also, measure the distance from the action to the top of the stock. That should be around 7/8 inch.
Old October 10, 2014, 08:37 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't remember for sure any more, but aren't those two screws the same except for length? Could you have them swapped?

Jim
Old October 10, 2014, 09:26 PM   #4
Mal H
Staff

No, they are very different, at least on my 60 they are. The rear screw is about an inch long (and pointed) and the front screw is about 3/8" inches long. The rear one is threaded only about half the length. If someone had put the rear screw in the front, it would leave about 1/2" sticking out, and the trigger guard would be very loose even if they managed to get the rear attached somehow.
Old October 11, 2014, 09:58 AM   #5
Mal H
Staff

Another thought for Everymanalion - are you sure it's the rear screw that falls flush and won't screw in? The front screw for the trigger guard has to be screwed in with the action out of the stock. There is a small washer/nut combination that the front screw engages. It doesn't go into the action screw hole even though it appears that it should. If that washer is missing, take the action out, turn it over and shake it. The washer usually falls into the action when the screw is removed. That screw usually doesn't have to be removed at all, only the rear trigger guard screw needs to be removed to take the action out.
Old October 11, 2014, 01:05 PM   #6
jj320

if you look up numrich gun parts they have a schematic and if you need to they may have them for sale.www.gunpartscorp.com
Old October 15, 2014, 01:48 AM   #7
Pathfinder45

It sounds to me like you got a couple of screws mixed up. FWIW, you don't need to remove the trigger-guard from the stock. How old is your Marlin?
Old October 15, 2014, 11:40 AM   #8
g.willikers

Maybe the action is not all the way down on the stock.
Sometimes the bolt release doesn't slip through its slot and causes the receiver to not seat in the stock all the way.
Old October 15, 2014, 03:15 PM   #9
seanc

You said in the back of the trigger guard. If it's on the front, nearer to the barrel, you are missing a "binding post nut" (could also be called a threaded sleeve) that drops in that hole from the inside, before you lay the action in the stock. The nut must be misplaced somewhere. In the 2nd picture, it's screwed onto the screw, on the left side of the image. Sorry about the image size, I stole it from ebay.

Last edited by seanc; October 15, 2014 at 03:30 PM.