The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 22, 2001, 08:13 AM   #1
Waitone

Ok, I'm within a month of firing my first reloads (.45ACP). What advice would you grizzled reloaders give to a newbe?

I have two objectives: First, retain my right hand; and second, keep the slide out of my teeth. Other than that I'm interested in having fun and punching lots of small holes in defenseless paper plates.

Suggestions and advice are welcome!
Old March 22, 2001, 09:23 AM   #2
dick w. holliday

tie gun to tree and pull trigger with string-i think my first reloads back in the mid 1960's with a Lee loader in 30 carbine. no powder scales just a dipper and H110 or 2400 or something. i survived and now have the upstairs of a two car garage full of goodies.

i was kidding about the tree and string because with some care i'm sure you will be turning out some good rounds and also some cheap rounds- you'll find you will be shooting more because you are probably saving more than half of the cost of new rounds....Goos shooting Dick
Old March 22, 2001, 10:34 AM   #3
drothen

You will be OK. Just the fact that you are worried about the first ones will make it so. Just start at the lower range and work up.

I was a little too cautious when I started. In the first group I loaded, one was just a little too conservative and didn't make it out the barrel. It took some effort to remove the bullet, which was well driven in. A significant amount of unburned powder was left. I did some research then and realized that you have to have at least a mimimum amount of pressure to get the powder to burn completely.
Old March 22, 2001, 10:39 AM   #4
proximo

Assuming you haven't started loading your rounds yet, I would suggest you just take your time and be very careful. Using a flashlight or a lamp, visually inspect the charge in each case before seating a bullet to make sure you haven't overloaded or underloaded (potentially just as dangerous) any of the cases. Then, as long as you aren't pushing the limits pressure-wise, you should be fine. I load with a progressive press and I go through this routine every time I change over to a new caliber. Its during the changeover, when you're fumbling with this and adjusting that that you can miss the double charge that will ruin your day. Sometimes I forget and don't realize it until later so I laboriously weigh every round I loaded and cull out those that weigh significantly less or more than the others. These get the bullet pulled and the charge verified/corrected. Its also not a bad idea to pick a powder that's bulky enough to nearly fill your case with a normal load. That way if you double charge, you'll have powder spilling out all over the place and it'll be obvious that a mistake has been made. That won't catch the undercharged (squib) loads so you can't neglect the visual inspection.

When I get to the range with a new load, I load only one round and fire it. I then inspect the case to make sure there are no excess pressure signs. If everything is ok, I'll load 5 rounds, shoot them, then inspect the cases again. This iteration is to make sure they reliably cycle the firearm (assuming a semi-auto). If anything doesn't feel or sound right, I'll stop right then and inspect the barrel to make sure it isn't obstructed (lodged bullet). If I have a chronograph handy, I'll use it to verify that the velocity is about what I expected. Then, if they're accurate enough, I'll go home and load a few hundred so I can give them a good evaluation.

Again, just slow down and be careful. Don't try to be a speed demon.
Old March 22, 2001, 10:25 PM   #5
saands

Like they said above ... being conservative and careful means starting with the suggested starting load (not more or less) and checking your work. I usually make 5 or 6 of each charge and clearly label the primers with a sharpie. Then, when I am at the range I can evaluate the laods (as mentioned above) ... lightest first. If any of the primers start to look flattened by their experience, I don't move up to the next charge. I only do a few of each because I don't want to be temped not to throw away anything that is doubtful!

Be safe and have fun,
Saands

Write down all the different loads so you can duplicate the good ones later.
Old March 22, 2001, 10:34 PM   #6
panamint

I can give you my exwifes number for you. Maybe she could fire off the first one.
Old March 23, 2001, 02:06 AM   #7
Guy B. Meredith

If you stick to the minimum in the loading manuals you may find as I did that the first ones are almost disappointing wimps. Almost disappointing, but not entirely because you now have a valid reference from which to work and an intact gun and hand.

In my case the most dangerous part was how badly the gun was shaking in my hands as I anticipated an explosion and split cylinder. As I said they were wimps. Took another full grain to get them to spec in the .38 spl loads I was doing.
Old March 23, 2001, 05:47 PM   #8
JNewhouse

I don't know about that whole minimum thing...

I loaded some 9mm with blue dot at the suggested starting load and scared the crap out of myself at an indoor range.
I shot the first one and had never seen so much flame come out of my Glock before.
I checked the spent case, and it looked fine. I double checked my load data in my notebook and the manual. Then I shot the rest of those loud, blinding loads. I now load them at about 10% under the 10% under the max load. (not a typo)

oh yeah....my advice:
45's are huge gaping mothers of empty cases. If you are just plinking, try to pick a powder that fills more than half the case. That way, if you try to double charge it, it won't fit. The powder will just overflow all over the bench and your little heart will start to beat funny when you think about what could have happened.
Old March 23, 2001, 09:18 PM   #9
muzzletalk

I went down to the local target range and rented one of their pistols. I figure if im going to break the pistol, it is better that it isn't mine.
Old March 24, 2001, 01:18 AM   #10
saands

I'll have to second Jaynewhouse's "not all minimum loads are wimps" ... my training load for my .40 is a 90% load of PowerPistol under a 135 grain bullet. I figure that by training with a load that hot (455 ft-lbs at the muzzle), I can double tap my "wimpy" factory loads all day long! The same goes for my 95% 2400 loads in the .357 ... come to think of it, I don't load MAX loads in anything these days. You will probably find that your 90% or 95% loads are the most accurate, but that is where the fun is!
Saands
Old March 24, 2001, 12:28 PM   #11
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

A good, safe load for the .45ACP is 5.5 grains of 231 behind a 200-grain semi-wadcutter bullet. It's a bit below the IPSC "major" power factor. I commonly load 5.8 grains. IIRC, a double-charge will spill over.

Pleasant to shoot. Medium recoil for the usual range for the Gummint model, I guess I'd call it...

For sure, the key is paying attention. Avoid distractions until you've been at it for a good while, and develop the "feel" and instincts--more of the "muscle memory" sort of stuff. Develop some system that suits you, and stick to it.

And have fun!

Art
Old March 26, 2001, 08:01 AM   #12
Waitone

I like the idea of using a "fluffy" powder so if I double charge it spills out. Other than 231, what are other "fluffy" powders I can use?
Old April 19, 2001, 04:52 PM   #13
twin Sigs

I can understand where you're coming from. Plan to re-load my own but hesitating because I worry. I'm a complete beginner. Reloading should be the way to go when planning to shoot a lot. The only thing is that I can't find hollow point bullets...
Old April 19, 2001, 07:32 PM   #14
shiroikuma

I just shoot off my first reloads this week. LOL. I held the gun (.44 magnum) p above my head off to the side. BOOM. Checked my hand. It was still there. Checked gun. No obvious holes except where they were supposed to be. Checked brass. Look normal. Shot the other 11. My hand hurt. I need a better rubber grip those "minimum" loads are snappy! It's my first .44 too.

The key I think is to load only about 10 rounds singly (I have a Dillon 550 progressive but loaded each one singly) Weigh every darn power charge. Make sure you are reading the scale correctly while weighing! Follow the reloading manual exactly for WEAK loads. Make sure the overall length of the cartridges is not too short, which can increase preasure.

Take way way too long to do those first ones.

shiro
Old April 20, 2001, 04:27 PM   #15
RobW

Muzzletalk: this exactly is the reason why I and other gun-renters have to shoot the expensive, on the range sold ammo. It is even not allowed to shoot the ammo you bought one day before, it could be reloaded!

Do you think the range/gun-owners are stupid?
Old April 21, 2001, 11:45 AM   #16
Master Blaster

Rob W range owners make a living selling ammo as well as range time. Use 4.0 grains of Bullseye powder behind a 200grain lead swc bullet. its a proven Bullseye load.
Titegroup 4.4 grains same bullet. Hodgdon will tell you that the minimum load is 4.8 for .45 LSWC 200grain.
4.4 will burn dirtier and leave more black soot, but is accurate and cycles with a 16.5lb spring.

Muzzle talk expect that if the range owner lets you shoot your ammo in their gun(and they wont) you will pay for the gun if it gets damaged due to your over pressure reloads.

My other advice is wear good eye protection. You may want to remove the magazine from the gun for the first shot. That way if it blows it will vent down the magazine well.