The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 13, 2012, 07:21 PM   #1
RTFM

Holster STINK

OK - to borrow a phrase from the late George Carlin - I opened the handgun safe and the stink that came from within could knock a buzzard off a $ wagon.

I'm a leather holster guy - when the weather gets hot my IWB gets damp with sweat.
I have since learned to remove the pistols and place them in the safe sans-holster and leave them on top of the rifle safe to air out overnight which is helping.

I've taken the pistol safe outside to air out all weekend and the smell is abating, but I think it needs a little more air time as the open cell foam has taken on a smell of its own.

What do you all do (if anything) to keep the leather from smelling like a swamp?
Are there cleaners/conditioners/magic bean juice out there to keep them cleaner/smelling like a spring day?

Thanks.

RTFM
Old May 13, 2012, 10:34 PM   #2
RTFM

Just to follow up - on two other gun related forums I've had replies that said to place in freezer overnight - this kills the bacteria in and on the leather.

Just passing it along in case someone else was interested, will try it out to see if it works.
(IE: It's free!)
Old May 13, 2012, 11:31 PM   #3
BarryLee

Yes, I have heard that freezing will kill bacteria, so I will be interested in your little test.

However, even if it does kill the bacteria if you just get the holster wet the next day it seems like you’re back where you started. It would seem the strategy should be to keep the holster from getting wet to begin with.

So, does the holster touch you bare skin? If so have you considered an undershirt?

Do you have more than one carry rig that might allow you to rotate guns so the holster has time to dry completely.

The manufacturer of my holster recommends using a product called Renaissance Wax to protect the leather. This might create a protective barrier that reduces the moisture absorption.

Anyway, just some random late night thoughts – good luck.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 14, 2012, 09:23 AM   #4
drail

"open cell foam" Is this foam inside your safe? If so you might want to remove it, it will hold moisture in your safe and will absorb and hold odors as you have discovered. You really don't want anything that can absorb and hold moisture in a safe. That would include foam, fabric, cardboard and leather.
Old May 14, 2012, 12:34 PM   #5
Sixer

I know it's a little late... but I use a bee's wax compound as one of the final steps on all of my holsters. It's one of the best moisture repelling methods I've found....

Obviously, this won't help much now... but like others have stated, I would store your holsters away from your guns and maybe even put them under a fan after a days work.

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old May 14, 2012, 02:45 PM   #6
RTFM

Yes for the last week the holster and safe are outside during the sun up time and are coming along nicely.

I use Renaissance wax to protect my blades and will try it also on the body side of the holster too.

Thanks all
Old May 15, 2012, 07:20 PM   #7
AK103K

The best thing I found holster wise to deal with sweat, was kydex. I work physically outdoors year round, and until kydex came along, my gun and I both suffered through leather holsters. Kydex eliminated all that.

I know you said youre a leather type guy, but when you finally get tired of dealing with it, come on over to the plastic side. Once you do, youll wonder why you waited so long.