The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old June 4, 2008, 12:18 PM   #1
threegun

Why do you carry?

I made the decision to carry about 18 years ago. I figured that I might one day be forced to use the gun to protect myself or family from a BG. Why have you guys chosen to carry a firearm?

I plan a followup question later.
Old June 4, 2008, 12:34 PM   #2
golf97

1. Because the police aren't going to be able to respond fast enough.

There are many other reasons, but that one kind of sums it all up. I also see it as a duty to protect my family, myself, and the innocent. I believe that if no one exercises the right to bear arms, that it will become another "forgotten" right. I believe that where guns are involved, violence is actually decreased (an armed society is a polite society). etc etc etc...

Bryan.
Old June 4, 2008, 01:44 PM   #3
P95loser

To give myself the means and tools to exercise my God given right to protect myself and those that I love.
Old June 4, 2008, 01:47 PM   #4
M1911

Because I learned long ago that evil men do evil things.

That has been true since the time of Cain and Abel, it is still true now, and it will true as long as man walks this earth. Wishing it was not so, or being harmless won't change that fact -- all it will do is enable the predators.
Old June 4, 2008, 01:49 PM   #5
threegun

P95, Spoken like Uncle Teddy himself.
Old June 4, 2008, 02:09 PM   #6
Hard Ball

To protect myself and my family if I have to.
Old June 4, 2008, 02:59 PM   #7
Keltyke

1. I live in the SE USA, where LE response may be anywhere from 1 minute to 1 hour.

2. Nastiness is popping up all over. Fast food restaurants, convenience stores, the neighborhood, even an eyeglass shop in the mall.

3. There are just some mean, evil ba$tards out there who don't give a rip for another human life.

I'll think of a few other reasons later, but for now, those will do.
Old June 4, 2008, 04:15 PM   #8
Superhouse 15

Why I carry

Old June 4, 2008, 04:33 PM   #9
Deaf Smith

Thegun,

Cause I couldn't carry a cop in my pocket, that's why.
Old June 4, 2008, 04:41 PM   #10
threegun

Superhouse, You ever feed that boy LOL?
Old June 4, 2008, 04:46 PM   #11
oneSoneK

house +1 man thats why i carry because when the metal meets the meat. who can you really depend on other than yourself
Old June 4, 2008, 04:56 PM   #12
Dragunov54

Quote:
Why do you carry?
Great question. I carry because I am responsible for protecting my own life and not the false pretenses of relying on someone else to do it for me (IE. the Police or the Government).
Old June 4, 2008, 05:19 PM   #13
starshooter231

I carry for several reasons.
1) It is my right and my duty to protect myself from harm.
2) I love life too much to rely on a LEO to be there when I need one.
3) There are way too many nut jobs in this world.
Old June 4, 2008, 06:33 PM   #14
Tanzer

I could write a dissertation or sum it up in a phrase;
The right to live.
Old June 4, 2008, 07:04 PM   #15
Radio

Because I would be stupid not to.
Old June 4, 2008, 09:28 PM   #16
poptime

Because of my work, I often have small valuables in my possesion. I reserve the option to defend myself in the event of a life threatening attack.
Old June 4, 2008, 10:46 PM   #17
DWARREN123

It is my right and duty as a AMERICAN Citizen!
Old June 4, 2008, 11:36 PM   #18
Dwight55

Too many reasons for one post, . . . sums up though as my duty to myself first, my family second, and whosoever may be my neighbor at the time.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old June 4, 2008, 11:41 PM   #19
pax

www.corneredcat.com/Why/whycarry.aspx

(Forgive me for not retyping the whole thing here -- it's long. Boils down to, I like the feeling of being able to cope with whatever life might throw at me.)

pax
Old June 5, 2008, 05:42 AM   #20
GoSlash27

#1 Because I'd rather have it and not need it than the other way around.
#2 Same reason I still think: it's not illegal yet.
Old June 5, 2008, 09:50 AM   #21
ragwd

Plus one to what DWARREN123 said.

It is my right and "DUTY" as a AMERICAN Citizen!
Old June 6, 2008, 07:58 AM   #22
threegun

I also carry for most if not all the reasons listed above and many more not listed. Given these ultra important reasons that we all have listed a second question jumps out at me. It also happens to be my followup question.

Why do some folks voluntarily carry mouse gun caliber handguns?

To me this is contradictory to my reason for carrying. I carry to protect me and mine from evil only to willingly choose a caliber that hasn't the ability to do what needs to be done to reliably stop an aggressor. Not that it can't mind you. A well placed round or 2 or 3 will do the trick however history has taught us that well placed hits are very difficult under the pressures associated with a gunfight. Not to mention a moving fighting target. We know that blood loss is the only way to stop an aggressor short of a hit to the upper spinal cord or brain.....that is if the BG doesn't give up. Still given these facts many of us not only voluntarily carry the micro 22's and 25's but they justify them so that they don't feel under armed which causes others follow suit.

Some use statistics that suggest that any gun is enough "MOST" of the time. While I agree "most" is not all. Most folks get through life without needing a gun.........not all. Heck I'm statistically unlikely to need the gun I'm carrying already yet I still carry.

Do you guys think it is contradictory?
Old June 6, 2008, 11:14 PM   #23
spamanon

Quote:
I carry to protect me and mine from evil only to willingly choose a caliber that hasn't the ability to do what needs to be done to reliably stop an aggressor.
Except we all make trade-offs in life, right? For you (I will take a guess) the trade-off stopped at .45 caliber. But someone who insists on carrying a pair of Uzi's could say that you didn't do all you could. Someone who carries a .44 magnum, a Bowie knife and took the time to master the arts of kung fu and Filipino knife fighting could say you didn't do all you could. You see, we each must weigh the odds of ever needing a gun and in what circumstance, the benefits of carrying what we choose, and the drawbacks of our choices to arrive at a decision we deem appropriate for ourselves.
So no, it doesn't seem contradictory to me at all. We must live with what we choose. What seems contradictory is when people don't think about their safety in today's world, and what they can do to protect themselves. But as far as what they decide, as long as they thought about it, and even if I strenuously disagree that their choice is adequate, I say more power to them.
Old June 7, 2008, 12:41 AM   #24
ziggy222

i've had guns pulled on me twice in my entire life but that was enough to make me never want to feel that way again.i now carry a 5 shot snub nosed 45 long colt.its light enough to feel like a 38 and yet enough to blast open some punks chest if they ever ever decide to do something that stupid.the 1st time i was so scared i could'nt have acted in time.the 2nd i saw what was about to happen and was prepared but that was enough to make them leave.i only carry when fishing in remote areas and if i'm forced to go into the inner city for any reason which is rare thankfully.another reason for a carry license is because laws about transporting a gun even just to the range were getting rediculous.so i just got a license so i can just lay them in my back seat with my ammo and go to the range without the worry of transporting a gun while obaying all the laws.
Old June 7, 2008, 12:50 AM   #25
fbrown333@suddenlink

Why

After staring down the muzzle of one and being robbed I made a choice at that point, plus I am not a big guy and am partially disabled and cannot phyically roll around on the ground fighting with some one.