The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 28, 2005, 03:55 PM   #1
doghouse

tactical light - Digilight?

been looking for an inexpensive tactical light and came across this one:

http://digilightusa.com/Catalog/prod...ail.asp?pid=42

anyone ever see the real thing yet?

I've looked at the surefire z2 and the pelican M6 but they're 150 and 100 respectively here in Canada
Old June 28, 2005, 03:59 PM   #2
Bravo25

I belong to another forum that is only dedicated to lights. So my question would be if this is a tactical light, how much is the price difference going to matter when the defication meets with rotating oscillator?

When faced with impossible overwhelming odds, prudance would dictate the only thing left is to figure out what is possible, and to do it.

Punishment for all crimes should increase until the recitivism rate approaches zero.
Old June 28, 2005, 05:57 PM   #3
doghouse

Bravo25, very nice reference to the rotational poo slinger!

I am not in LE and am not likely ever to be in a situation that would take into consideration the $ over safety. This is strictly a hobby and remember, I live in Canada Eh? where the gun laws make CA look relaxed.

The Surefire is a fabulous light but it's $150 here in Canada. I could probably land a Digilight with accessories for about $65 or, the light alone for about $40. I would buy a Brinkmann Maxfire LX but none of our WallyWorlds have them here.
Old June 29, 2005, 12:26 AM   #4
DT Guy

FWIW-Target is now carrying the Brinkmann, and their's comes with two ENERGIZER batteries and a cheapie nylon case. Price here in Illinoize is ~$17 or so, which beats Wal-Mart by three bucks and includes better batteries.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old June 29, 2005, 06:35 AM   #5
Billy Sparks

I actually saw DigiLights in person at the CarolinaCup in June. They look nice. Not 100% sure how they stack up against a Surefire but the are good looking lights. Might just buy one to play with.
Old July 5, 2005, 10:04 PM   #6
XD Niner

I have one and think it is a great value for the price. It does everything I need. Is it as good as a Surefire? Probably not but it is close and less than half the price. It will do just fine when "the defication meets with rotating oscillator.
Old July 8, 2005, 09:28 PM   #7
hdm25

Surefires go down, too. Nothing is foolproof or shockproof or wearproof. A friend on a LE tactical team reports the Surefire on his MP5 going down during a crucial moment in a building search and how much the already-great pucker-factor was compounded as he spent the couple of seconds needed to get his handgun and handheld Surefire into play.

I've been looking at the Digilight, too. Not quite sold on getting one since I have so much Surefire stuff but still interesting. I think that the price is much more in line with what it should be. While I love my Surefires, I really dislike their pricing structure.
Old July 8, 2005, 09:51 PM   #8
Double Naught Spy

I have managed to break Surefires and Scorpions in recent years, lots of mag lights before that. Heck, I even managed to melt a pyrex (?) lens on a surefire by the time the heat buildup in my pocket resulted in a blister on my thigh and the smell of cotton starting to burn (darned cargo pants with several layers!). The only lights that really seem durable are generally what I consider as less than adequate as tactical lights beyond 10 yards or so. Those lights are the LED lights such as the Inova X3 which I now carry as an all around general purpose light.

So it has a zenon light. It will get very hot. Somehow, I don't see the light doing well if actually allowed to run for 90 continuous minutes.

It does look to be a nifty cheaper alternative for a Surefire and comes with more accessories than a Scorpion. My only concern after this is the availability of spare lights as they do burn out.