The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 19, 2000, 04:46 PM   #1
Ned Roundtree

Well my wife's Christmas gift finally came in. She was not too pleased at Christmas to get a box with an IOU. She got her two Cimarron Lightings with consecutive serial #'s last night. All is forgiven. Now, she wants an action work on the guns! Will it never end. Cowgirls!!
Old January 19, 2000, 07:02 PM   #2
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy Ned,

My pard Joe West got a couple of these for his better half,also. He ordered 'em at the SHOT show last year and just got them in Dec. He did have his wife's alias engraved along the backstrap,though,so that held things up a bit. Now,if we can just get her to actually shoot 'em in a match...

Bellicose Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Mitchell (edited January 19, 2000).]
Old January 19, 2000, 11:02 PM   #3
Ned Roundtree

Our first match we had three cowgirls shoot. Several other were watching. I asked my wife and sis-n-law what would it take for them to shoot. They asked for a cowgirl only training match. So we had one. I had gotten several different type of firearms for the cowgirls to shoot. The class was small. Five cowgirls and me. Number one problem was finding a gun that fit them. Number two problem was basic firearm safety and shooting. Number three was their reluctancy to shoot shotgun. We found the IGA sxs in 20 gauge perfect for them. They shot pistols and rifle but wanted to not try shotgun. Once I showed them how it punched holes in cans, they wanted to try. From there on they all wanted to shoot shotgun first. Most preferred light weight carbines, small pistols with short barrels and 20 gauge shotgun. Several picked a 4 3/4" Uberti Bisley in .357 to shoot .38 special. After our first season 18% of the posses are cowgirls. And for the first time we have a woman shooter in the top five traditional ranking. This cowgirl actually took overall first place at a smaller club. I am going to hold another cowgirl only clinic this season. See if we can't get that 18% up to 30%.