The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 4, 2005, 06:00 PM   #1
Derius_T

One Handed Shotgun

Now this is a bit of a silly question, but is a one handed, pistol grip small shotgun possible? You see a few in movies, ect. And always wondered if a working model was really possible? The ones you see are usually pistol grip, extremely short double barrel, or other break down, 1 shot at a time types.
Old January 4, 2005, 07:31 PM   #2
CaCrusin

Pistol grip only guns look cool but are difficult to shoot accurately and have serious problems with recoil. Our recoil-reducing folding stock (the COPstock Folder) can be used effectively one-handed with practice as recoil is not an issue. I routinely use my 870 with COPstock one-handed to shoot a 12" gong at 25 yards. I have yet to miss after about 75 tries with slugs. It's very satisfying to hear the gong each time the slug hits it. We sell the COPstock to LE agancies for use with their motorcycle units and they train to use them one-handed. If you have time, extending the stock will serve you better but for an urgent event, folded or one-handed can work. Practice.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
Old January 6, 2005, 11:49 AM   #3
dfaugh

My buddy

Had a 12 ga double, with the barrels cut to the legal limit (+a touch) and the stock cut a bit behind the pistol grip, so overall length was JUST legal(the classic "sawed-off shotgun")...And the only realistic way to fire it was two handed, with the "other" hand holding down the barrels...One handed was guaranteed wrist-breaker....It did do an impressive amount of damage when you touched off both barrels simultaneously(2 Handed!) at short range.

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old January 6, 2005, 12:36 PM   #4
m0ntels

The one store around here that sells NFA guns alwasy has this little 2 shot Mossberg 500 pump with the pistol grip. My brother thought it was cool but I didnt really get it. Yeah it looks cool, but if you're gonna lug around that much mass and weight, why not a magnum revolver with 4 more shots?

Randy
Old January 6, 2005, 12:53 PM   #5
jefnvk

dfaugh-

I can just imagine the damage that gun does when both barrels are shot off. To the target, and the shooter