The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 3, 2012, 03:35 PM   #1
Kazaam

How do you guys like the CZ 75B SA?

Anything I should be aware of? Pros/cons? Interestingly, it seems its the only CZ that has the slide rail running the entire length of the gun...any ideas why?

Thanks!
Old October 3, 2012, 04:01 PM   #2
Walt Sherrill

Fine weapons. I'd buy one from the CZ Custom Shop, with trigger work already done. (Some need it, new in box, some don't.) I don't know if they all now come from the factory with the two-way adjustable trigger (for overtravel and takeup), but guns from the Custom Shop can have that feature.

The SA models have slightly different slides and frames, and ambidextrous safeties. These guns come in both .40 and 9mm. The .40 version has a full-length guide rod; the 9mm version does not.

Over the past 6-7 years, triggers straight from the factory have not been all that great, but they do improve greatly with use. With the SA, this is less of a problem -- but I'd still consider having trigger work done, up front.

You can get larger capacity mags from the CZ Shop, or just buy Mec-Gar 16-rounders.
Old October 3, 2012, 04:02 PM   #3
Venom1956

75b SA appears to have the 'same slide design' cosmetically as the standard 75b, some models can have the older style front to them. Probably just depends when it was made.

CZ 75b

CZ 75b SA

CZ 85 Combat

I prefer the SA trigger and also the safety, but honestly its really the Beavertail that makes this gun. Its great.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old October 3, 2012, 05:19 PM   #4
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
75b SA appears to have the 'same slide design' cosmetically as the standard 75b...
Same only in the full-size .40 versions, I think... I forgot about that when I replied.

The 75B DA/SA shown in the photo above looks to be a .40 -- as it appears to have the full-length guide rod at the front. That's not available with the 9mm versions -- hence a different slide. It would appear that the .40 DA/SA and SA models use the same slide, which explains the rails. (I've only had one 75B DA/DA in .40, and then only for a short while -- I wasn't into '.40' back then -- and I never paid attention to that part of the slide.)

The 9mm SA and DA/SA models don't (or didn't) share the same slide.

The extended slide rails are very slightly narrower ahead of the frame dust cover, so they may actually be there for looks, not function.

The SA beaver tail is a real improvement, and that's also seen in some of the newer models, including the new stainless models. (The beaver tail was the minor difference in the frame I mentioned, above -- I should have been more specific.) Newer models, like the Stainless models, also have reversible mag releases, not possible with the older 75Bs.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; October 3, 2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old October 3, 2012, 06:31 PM   #5
Japle

Excellent gun. Mine is kinda tricked out, with target sights and a 2 lb trigger.

It's tough to find a better SA 9mm.

Old October 4, 2012, 04:37 PM   #6
g.willikers

Since the standard model can be both DA and/or SA, depending on whether the hammer is down, or cocked and locked, what is the attraction or advantage of the SA model?
Old October 4, 2012, 05:29 PM   #7
Kilibreaux

There is nothing wrong with the CZ-75 or that series of pistols.
That is uses "reversed" slide rails explains why they can run full-length....one might presume this adds strength until one looks at a Glock which has four tiny "rail pads" and yet handles the same loads.

Overall it's a good gun.
Old October 4, 2012, 05:53 PM   #8
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
one might presume this adds strength until one looks at a Glock which has four tiny "rail pads" and yet handles the same loads.
I think that the inherent stability of the slide/barrel/frame relationship with the "reversed rails/full length rails" allows for tighter accuracy in the CZ and clone design over the
Quote:
four tiny "rail pads"
out of the box.

Seems to be the familiar comments heard about these pistols and design; that of the intrinsic accuracy built into the CZ 75 design/pattern pistols.

Now, go figure...
Old October 4, 2012, 06:01 PM   #9
Walt Sherrill

The additional length of the longer rails on the .40 slides and the 9mm SA slide may be more cosmetic than functional... as the rails reduce in size [narrow] as they extend beyond the frame.

(That rail size reduction suggests that some of the extra length doesn't do much, or that the extra length does something not intuitively obvious.)
Old October 5, 2012, 07:35 PM   #10
Japle

Quote:
Since the standard model can be both DA and/or SA, depending on whether the hammer is down, or cocked and locked, what is the attraction or advantage of the SA model?
In my opinion, the biggest advantage is that it doesn’t have all the extra (and useless) parts for DA. It’s much easier to get a really fine SA trigger pull on the SA pistol. Mine is right on 2 lb, super crisp with a short reset.
Old October 5, 2012, 08:33 PM   #11
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
In my opinion, the biggest advantage is that it doesn’t have all the extra (and useless) parts for DA.
Just one part, I think -- the disconnecter -- is dropped on the SA (only) model; internally, they are otherwise the same.

The SA model has some features not present on the DA/SA models: 1) two-way adjustable trigger (which can't be used with the DA/SA models); 2) larger and ambidextrous safeties; 3) a different, extended beavertail, and 4) the slides have extended rails, but I'm not sure they are fully functional. The 40 SA model (along with the .40 DA/DA model) has a full-length guide rod.

A DA/SA model can be easily tuned to have a very good SA trigger, but the dedicated SA model is considered asier to shoot quickly and accurately.
Old October 6, 2012, 01:52 AM   #12
Kazaam

Walt, the stainless steel and SA 75Bs both use the same beavertail, right? Also, if you convert a DA/SA to SAO, the triggers would be functionally identical, correct?
Old October 6, 2012, 10:06 AM   #13
Dashunde

I really liked everything about my SA... except the trigger.
It was gritty from the start, I smoothed it out a bit, but nothing close to being a great range toy.
The fit with the safety was loose enough that I passed on adding parts to lighten up and smooth it out further. Too much movement if the trigger was pulled on with the safety on, made me leary of swapping the hammer for one with smaller sear contact notch.

It was otherwise 100% in every way. Great pistol really, just not what I was looking for - all steel, large 9mm range toy with a nice trigger.
Old October 6, 2012, 10:16 AM   #14
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Walt, the stainless steel and SA 75Bs both use the same beavertail, right? Also, if you convert a DA/SA to SAO, the triggers would be functionally identical, correct?
Same beavertail, as you can see by viewing the guns on the CZ-USA website.

As for functional identity -- as far as I know all of the 75B-based guns have the same trigger-related internals; same parts, etc. The SA models remove the disconnector and incorporate a better trigger lever (long, slim, flat, with adjustments for over-travel and take-up).

Unhappily, that trigger won't work in a gun that is still able to have a DA function. All of the 75Bs can be tweaked by a good gunsmith to have great SA triggers, but only the SA can be adjusted to get rid of the lengthy take-up (slack) found in the DA/SA trigger.

The new Omega trigger system changes all of this, and I have no experience with that mechanism.

Old October 6, 2012, 10:48 AM   #15
manta49

I fitted a S/A trigger to my CZ 75 SPO1 great job much less pre-travel and faster re-set. Had it at the range today well impressed.
Old October 6, 2012, 03:03 PM   #16
triplebike

I just picked up my 3rd CZ, A CZ 75B SA T set up by the CZ custom shop. Most accurate handgun that I have fired so far. The trigger is simply outstanding.