The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 27, 2012, 08:33 PM   #1
crooked stripe

Enough revolver for the job

I just was given a Heritage Rough Rider in 45 colt. Is it enough gun to take down a deer? I have read you can't put high pressure loads through it. I am into reloading so I can make up a good load within specs. What do you all think? The reason I question this I have fired it and it doesn't seem to have the power as my 38.
Old June 27, 2012, 08:37 PM   #2
jmortimer

A 255 grain hard cast SWC with up to 9.2 grains of Unique, standard pressure load, will work. Will shoot right through the deer on a broadside. It is way more gun than any .38 could every dream of - 11.5 mm "pre-expanded."
Old June 27, 2012, 09:44 PM   #3
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Enough revolver for the job

[QUOTE Is it enough gun to take down a deer? ][/QUOTE] Get close enough. More than enough. As far a power not near a 38s. Your most welcome and entitled to your opinion. But I suspect making a statement like that you may want to reconsider. A 38-S with a 158 gr. bullet has shade over 1/2 the energy of a 45 Colt at its muzzle. And that would be with both cartridges traveling about the same velocity if my memory serves me right. Bullet speed helps allot with hunting. But bullet placement is the name of the game when hunting game. Good luck with that 45 Colt and that 38 Special too. Nothing better than the smell of gun power in one's day.
Old June 27, 2012, 09:56 PM   #4
rickyrick

There's a huge difference in say the Winchester cowboy action loads and Buffalo Bore, but you reload and I don't. I've shot hogs with the buffalo bore and they work pretty good.

I'm not really answering your question so I'll stop.