The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 29, 2002, 12:31 PM   #1
Alex Johnson

Take down instructions for Winchester Model 12

I've been considering completely refinishing a well worn Winchester model 12 but am having trouble locating instructions on dissassembly for this model. I don't feel brave enough to start taking parts out at random, but figured there should be some detailed instructions available either in paper or online. Do any of you know of a source. Thanks.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old September 29, 2002, 09:25 PM   #2
Guy L Johnson

I Ask The Same Question

And I still have the information and will e-mail it to you.
Guy L Johnson
Old September 29, 2002, 10:13 PM   #3
Alex Johnson

Would definitely appreciate it, thanks a lot.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old September 30, 2002, 07:34 PM   #4
KIMBERCOMP

model 12

Guy Johnson, could you also email takedown instruction for the model 12. thanks, [email protected]
Old April 17, 2005, 05:16 PM   #5
Trav Krause

I would also like to request take down instructions for a Winchester Model 12. The gun doesn't always shoot factory loads, but, it shoots reloads fine. so i just wanted to strip it down. my email is [email protected]
Old April 17, 2005, 05:32 PM   #6
HunterTRW

The Gun Digest Book of Firearms Assembly/Disassembly -- Part V: Shotguns by J.B. Wood has an entire chapter on the Winchester Model 12, complete with black-and-white photographs and tips. The ISBN number for this book is 0-910676-11-9. My copy cost me $12.95 several years ago, but it was money well-spent as it covers 26 different shotgun models from manufacturers including: Browing, H&R, High-Standard, Ithaca, Iver Johnson, Marlin, Mossberg, Remington, Savage, S&W, Stevens, and (of course) Winchester.

Hope this helps.

Good luck, and good shooting!
Old April 22, 2005, 06:23 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

One little trick to know on the Model 12 is the carrier pivot screw, which has LEFT hand threads. I have heard of people breaking screw drivers and ruining the trigger group because they didn't know that. Also it has to be restaked when put back in.

Jim