The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 17, 2012, 07:34 AM   #1
rebs

compass lake chamber ?

I recently read an article about Windham Weapory's varmint exterminator that stated it has a Compass Lake Chamber and matching bolt. Since I have never heard of Compass Lake before I would like to know more about it.
Can anyone on here give me any information ?
Old November 17, 2012, 09:54 AM   #2
sailskidrive

It's similar to a Wylde chamber; crossbreed.

I wouldn't limit yourself to a Windham build; there are tons of manufacturers out there and varmint rigs aren't as popular so you shouldn't have to compete with all the panic buyers currently looking for a M4forgery.

I bought my varmint upper from Fulton Armory. I went with a 24" barrel to harvest the extra velocity. Their house barrels are made by Krieger.

Hk USP 45 Expert, USP 40, USP 9, SIG P226, S&W M&P9, Hk 4, Makarov, Desert Eagle 40, Beretta FS92 Centurion, Kimber TLEII 1911A1, Glock 22, SIG P225, 1943 Rem Rand 1911A1, S&W mod 64, Walther PPQ, SIG P229, Browning BDA 45 (SIG P220), Hk45, SIG P230
Old November 17, 2012, 12:21 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

I suspect it is a chamber that the "go" gauge closes on but not a "no go" gauge. The bolt would be the one that the "go" gauge closes on too, so together (bolt & barrel) they are a pair.

Their "no go" gauge for a match chamber may be .001 over minimum SAAMI specs. The only trouble is that if your ammunition is within SAAMI specs but over .001 minimum SAAMI specs, it won't feed in the rifle.
Old November 17, 2012, 12:22 PM   #4
Creeper

Quote:
Since I have never heard of Compass Lake before I would like to know more about it.
Can anyone on here give me any information ?
"windham weaponry varmint exterminator?"

Have a read of this article by Glen Zediker regarding AR chambers.