The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 26, 2011, 10:29 PM   #1
bedbugbilly

Cimarron "Junior" - opinions . comments please

I'm looking at possibly getting a Cimarron "Junior" - 3 1/2" barrel in 38 spl. I don't shoot competition/CAS - just enjoy shooting SA and 38 spl. I have a New Vaquero (357) with a 5 1/2" barrel and love it - I'd like to have a SA with a shorter barrel like the Junior has. My questions are:

Anyone have one of these - if so, your opinions/comments please

Is the Cimarron Junior the same size as a SA Colt or New Vaquero? (frame size wise / grip wise)

I'm assuming these are made by Uberti - have heard that Cimarron has a good quality line - anything I should watch out for?

Thanks for any help/info - greatly appreciated.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 27, 2011, 03:05 AM   #2
Kadmos

It's smaller, maybe a touch bigger that a single six, frame wise.

Pretty sure yeah it's Uberti made, quality should be good.

I only held one once, and it's been awhile, I think the grip is a bit smaller in size than the peacemaker, maybe navy sized, not tiny though, had a nice feel for me, but I've got smallish hands.
Old March 27, 2011, 03:13 AM   #3
Hawg

Dunno bout the Jr. but the "Peacemaker" has a Navy sized grip.
Old March 27, 2011, 09:22 AM   #4
Jbar4Ranch

I've had SIX of them... ... and three 5 1/2"ers.

I started my daughter out in CAS with Colt Frontier Scout .22 LR's, then bought three Model P Jr's for her to shoot. I thought she could do better with longer barrels, so the 3 1/2"ers were sold to a friend of ours and replaced with 5 1/2"ers, which she does much better with (MT State champ in her class two years running ). I shot the shorter ones a few times in Gunfighter class and really liked them, so I recently picked up three more 3 1/2"ers for myself.

SASS 47015
Old March 28, 2011, 07:51 PM   #5
ZVP

J Bar
How's the recoil of the .38 Special in this small frame?
What loads do you use?
I normally shoot a .357 with .38Specials in it and wondered about carrying this little revolver for daily carry. Is it dependable enough for this purpose?
ZVP
Old March 28, 2011, 07:57 PM   #6
Jbar4Ranch

About all these have had through them are my standard light .38 CAS load consisting of 3.0 grains Clays and a cast Lee 125 grain FP bullet. Recoil is quite light with this, of course, and we've never had any of 'em break yet.

SASS 47015
Old March 29, 2011, 12:13 PM   #7
AlanS

I don't have the Cimarron one but the regular Uberti version, called the Stallion, in .38 special with the 4.75" barrel. It's a decent gun, although mine shoots to the left about an inch. The recoil isn't bad either. Mine weighs 30 ounces, which is still heavier than a lot of the newer snubbies coming out from other makers. I've used a number of different loads in it with no issues, including the UMC 130 gr jacketed, PMC, and Federal.

Hope that helps,
Alan
Old March 29, 2011, 10:09 PM   #8
ZVP

>38 Spl Cowboy ammo?

Fired from a 4 5/8" Vaquero, what velocity should I be getting from the average "Cowboy Load"? Is this ammo up to par with target grade, full wadcutter factory ammo?
Assuming this ammo shoots at about 500fps I doubt this ammo would suffice as a reliable self defense load , yet it is still very deadly.
A friend loaded up some "plinking ammo" up for my .38 Cobra Derringer. The bullet is a 90 gr Flat Point which leaves the muzzle of the Cobra around 400fps. It has the recoil tamed down to almost nothing and really makes long plinking sessions with the Derringer fun! Standard 148gr Factory ammo has a fairly sharp recoil from the Derringer.
ZVP