The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 26, 2008, 08:54 AM   #26
castnblast

I personally wouldn't go lighter than a #1. I like the # of shot in that round. That being said, I've never killed deer w/ a shotgun...I did kill a ferral goat with a 20 ga Stevens side by side when I was a teenager though...(we all know the STUPID things we did as teens - this was one that could have gone wrong, but didn't...) I pulled both triggers simultaneously and put 2 rounds of #6 birdshot in the head of a goat inside of 20yds. Dropped it like a brick. So I would say #4 would kill, but wouldn't be the best choice...I know I'm going to catch crap for the above statement, but I will say it too...that was one of those stupid numskull teenage things I did...Wouldn't repeat it, but glad the results were what they were...
Old April 26, 2008, 01:56 PM   #27
TheNatureBoy

Only if it was the only thing I had with me or I couldn't borrow a few shells from one of my hunting buds. I wouldn't intentionally go deer hunting with
#4s.
Old April 28, 2008, 10:04 PM   #28
JP Sarte

Buckshot

If you are forced to use a shotgun (i.e. in a shotgun zone) I would always use a slug. Buckshot is the greatest crippler of all time and is a terrible idea on a Whitetail deer.

JP
Old April 29, 2008, 07:23 AM   #29
CajunBass

Every deer I've ever shot at, I shot at with buckshot. Every one of them fell right in their tracks. They might have tried to get back up, but not one ever did. Only one took more than two shots.

I've seen a lot of deer killed with buckshot. Within it's range limitations it is as deadly as anything else. I have heard stories of deer being killed at 100 yards with buckshot, but I suspect those who tell them wouldn't know 100 yards from 100 miles. In my experience, about 40-45 steps is as far as I've ever shot at a deer. That's a long way around here. Even when hunting over a field stand, I'd step off that 40 steps and tell myself, inside here, shoot. Outside, don't.

Having said that, I would never use No 4 buck. I've heard of people who have killed deer with it but I just never did trust it. Every deer I ever killed was with No 1, all but one of them out of a 3" mag gun. I always felt this was the best combination of number of shot, and size (weight) of the pellets. A lot of guys I hunted with liked 00, or even 000. The deer I have seen killed with 000 went down like lightening hit them. That stuff breaks BIG bones and keeps on going. It just never patterned well in my gun. For me it was No 1 or nothing.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old April 29, 2008, 07:38 AM   #30
DMacLeod

no
Old May 5, 2008, 03:03 AM   #31
publius

I have sucessflly use 4 buck to take a deer at approximaty 70 yards. adropped it on the spot. that being said, i would not use buckshot on deer. if you absoutely must use buck I would go with #1.
Old May 5, 2008, 07:18 AM   #32
mikenbarb

Superdave, I have used shotguns with #4 buck for a long time and it flat out kills them dead. I have killed deer at 60yds with #4buck and never had a problem at all. Yes its smaller but it works and I find it patterns alot better than anything else. Most people say no but I live in a state where its shotgun only and have alot of time in with shotgun deer hunting and have never seen a deer crippled and lost with #4 buck. I shoot a Browning 3.5 for deer drives and it packs 54 pellets vs 9 or 12 of 00 buck. I would rather hit a deer with 15 or 20 pellets of #4 buck than 1 or 2 of 00 buck. Yes, I do shoot a slug gun and prefer it when on stand or in the open but in the thickets and swamps its useless and turn to the #4 buck.
Old May 9, 2008, 09:51 PM   #33
45Marlin carbine

not if anything bigger is available. I like 000 myself. neck shot if it presents.
Old May 9, 2008, 10:50 PM   #34
teeroux

i use #1 and #4 they both drop deer

i prefer the amount of pellets vs size of pellets