The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 11, 2005, 07:32 PM   #1
willp58

Rem 11-48 recoil spring

Hello, Does anyone know the correct recoil spring length?
I have one that jams and I suspect the recoil spring.

Thank you!

Bill P
Old April 11, 2005, 10:26 PM   #2
cntryboy1289

I can get the measurement for you

I will remove the one on my sons and give you the measurement for it. I would suspect something else as the cause of the jam though. I would suspect the ejector or extractor is having a problem first. Is the round coming out of the chamber and then not being thrown clear of the opening or is it just not coming far enough rearward to remove the round completely from the chamber? If it is coming out all the way and catching in the opening, I would think the ejector isn't throwing it clear. This could be an broken ejector, the extractor could be engaging into the rim too far, the carrier may messing up and rising too soon blocking the ejection. Let me know what the mechansism is that is jamming the gun and I should be able to help you solve the jam. The spring could be the cause, I will look and see if I can find a source for you on it. Good luck.

I tried Numrich and they were sold out. I will get the measurement for you.
Old April 11, 2005, 11:19 PM   #3
cntryboy1289

measurements for recoil spring

the meausrements on my spring are as follows:

length of spring: 8 5/8"
length of complete spring assembly including brake: 9 5/8"
width of spring coil: 1/8''
distance between coils: 3/8"

Good luck finding it. I haven't ben able to find one for sale yet. You might get lucky and find a smith that has a part gun and get a spring from him if you get lucky. The spring could be made for you. The brake has a groove cut in the inner wall to allow the spring to stay off of the mag tube. This groove is what helps act as the brake as the spring compresses into the brake. Good luck with the project. I would defintely check out the ejector itself as well as the extractor hook.
Old April 12, 2005, 06:55 AM   #4
willp58

Thank you! I really appreciate that info. I have found Jack First in N dakota carries sometimes more than Gunparts.. Phone is:
605-343-9544
Old April 12, 2005, 07:12 AM   #5
willp58

Wow..red-faced now.
On closer inspection, I see the ejector is completely missing from the barrel tang. This is a brazed in part
I don't see it listed in Gunparts OR Jack First.
Old April 12, 2005, 03:50 PM   #6
cntryboy1289

I had the same problem with mine

I found the ejector and brazed it back in. It isn't too tough of a job if you are familiar with brazing and make sure to keep to use heat fence to keep the heat from moving up the barrel extension. You may get lucky and find an old barrel or you may be able to find a local smith that can make you the ejector.

I appreciate the info myself. I have found Numrich to be sold out a good bit of the time. I may be persauded to sell you a barrel. I have one on my son's SG that is parked and is a 26 IMP cyl. I have a full choked barrel that I want to put on it for him to turkey hunt with. We don't get many oppurtunities to dove hunt anymore. Like I said, the barrel has been parked, but I could blast it again for you and reblue it for you with the frosted blue look. Let me know what you think. I need to ask him before I say for sure I can sell the barrel.
Old April 14, 2005, 01:19 AM   #7
brandx

Cntryboy, if willp doesn't want the Parked 26" 11-48 bbl, PM me with a price. I have an 11-48 with a chopped bbl (20", not much good for anything). My reciever is Parked, so it would match up well.
Thanks.
Old April 14, 2005, 01:15 PM   #8
Zekewolf

Does Jack First have a website? Couldn't find it with Google.
Old April 14, 2005, 06:10 PM   #9
willp58

Jack First does not have a website..I wish they did..
The 11-48 I am trying to repair is a 16 gauge.
I called JF and they said they are having some ejectors made. It will be about 6 weeks till they are ready.
Old April 14, 2005, 09:45 PM   #10
cntryboy1289

Glad to hear it Willp58

I didn't think to ask you what gauge it is. I was in a hurry on that one I guess.

Brandx, my son's is a 20 gauge. I will PM to find out about yours.