The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 7, 2012, 11:08 PM   #1
Huskerguy

I am going to purchase a LNL AP - what else do I need?

I have thought about this long enough and I am in the mood to move to a progressive. I am going with the Hornady LNL. I want to, as much as possible, get most everything I need first shot. I know I need the following:

1. Shell plates - I have the numbers
2. Bushings - 4 per caliber - I use a Lee Factory Crimp

What am I missing?
Extra springs?
Extra primer tubes?
Do I need something different for powder measure to make changes quicker and easier?
I eventually want a powder cop/detector of some kind/brand

I will be reloading 38/357, 9mmm, 40 S&W, & 223 for now. Will likely add 45 in the future

The price for the press is within $5 with shipping between Midway, Cabela's, and Natchez

Recommendations? And please do not recommend Blue, my mind is made up.

Last edited by Huskerguy; June 7, 2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old June 8, 2012, 12:08 AM   #2
NESHOOTER

You may want extra some sure-lock rings for the dies unless you have some good ones already for your dies, extra powder metering inserts one for each cal and allows quick change over from one cal to another as they are cost effective around 8.00 so you will not have to adjust each time. And possible bullet feeder dies/and powder through expanders it frees up a station on your A/P to drop the case so you limit your hand motions. Extra springs yea... and a hornady die wrench maybe a couple of extra paws that drive your shell plates.
Old June 8, 2012, 12:10 AM   #3
Cherokee Sam

Just got my LNL settled In

Have had mine a couple months now. Have everything running well. Have had to call Hornady for a question that fixed some frustration. They were extremely helpful.
Recommend RCBS lockout powder check. Works quit well.
Auto Case Feeder is nice. I hand load bulliet
I use it for around 600-700 45 colts per month. Two different size boolits.
Recommend 10 pack of extra die LNL bushings.
Recommend a couple extra primer sliders. (week link of system)
Recommend extra spring for primer slider and powder measure.

Theses recommendations are to get you back quickly if something simple goes down.
Feel free to email me if you have any questions

Cherokee Sam
Old June 8, 2012, 05:22 AM   #4
PA-Joe

Good powder scale and a caliper.
Old June 8, 2012, 07:15 AM   #5
P.A. Dutchman

The most important item that you want to keep on hand are extra springs that go around the shell plate and hold the brass in place. They have a tendency to break after awhile.
Old June 8, 2012, 08:41 AM   #6
rtpzwms

Get the extra primer tubes then code them so you'll now what is in each tube. Get a second powder measure, one for pistol one for rifle. If you look through the forum you'll find a fellow that makes an LED light kit for the LNL AP that might be nice for you.
Old June 8, 2012, 10:24 AM   #7
Crashbox

Major +1 on the extra shell retaining springs. I think I have about eight remaining in stock just in case... they get distorted easily and are likely to break at the most inopportune times.

Ditto on the bushings and lock rings.

You also might want to get some Teflon(R) plumbing tape if you are using the case-activated powder drop, and put a couple of wraps around the outside of the bushing for the powder measure- the CAPD has a tendency to work loose after about 50 rounds or so. IIRC Hornady has a Belleville washer which they can supply if you run into this issue, but the tape can be had much easier IMO.
Old June 8, 2012, 06:41 PM   #8
tobnpr

Quote:
And please do not recommend Blue, my mind is made up.
I'm with ya...you couldn't give me anything else (including Blue) for free over my LNL.

Far as the powder measure question:
The quick-change metering inserts are worth their weight in gold.
I load for seven centerfire calibers- and each has their own metering insert (labeled) and pre-set to the exact charge I want. No screwing around tweaking the amount metered. They're only a few bucks each and well worth it.

Ditto on the other stuff mentioned. The beauty of the LNL is there is so little to go wrong, or replace. Just reading the instructions for setup and operation of the Dillon left me with a headache.

When you set up, be sure that you set your die depth so that it cams over hard. The half-stroke indexing is what makes this press different- and really smooth. If you have any trouble indexing, call Hornady. They walked me right through it in five minutes over the phone. It has never "lost" index in a year and a half since.
Old June 8, 2012, 07:04 PM   #9
Crunchy Frog

I'm set up to load 9mm, .38-.357, .41 Magnum, .44 Special/Magnum and .45 ACP on my LNL.

I agree you need a quality scale and a loading manual.

Obviously you need (for each chambering) a shell plate, dies and die bushings. Split lock rings are probably best because you can lock the adjusted dies into the bushings without having them move, but my 9mm dies are Dillons and they are staying put with friction fit so far.

Be sure to order at least one can of Hornady's One Shot Cleaner and Dry Lube (not to be confused with One Shot Case Lube). You need this (or a similar product) to get the packing grease out of your dies and powder measure.

Get some fine wet/dry sandpaper and polish up your brand new priming shuttles before first use.

I'm using the same two primer filler tubes that came with the press. I am also using the same shell retaining spring although I have a pack of extras just in case. I also bought spare springs for the powder measure linkage and for the primer shuttle return; both of those springs are still in the package.

A couple of people mentioned buying extra powder measure "stems". They are handy; I keep one pre-set for my "pet" load in each chambering. I have an extra for experimenting.

You don't need extra powder measures. I would recommend that you buy a "quick change powder die" ($25 from Midway USA) for your extra calibers. This is the lower "die body" section of the case activated powder measure that you set based on the length of the cartridge case. For me this was the "fiddliest" part of setting up the press and dies. I have one labeled for each chambering.

I am a big believer in the RCBS Lockout Die. It's a little more expensive than the RCBS powder check die or the Hornady Powder Cop, but worth it.

If you use a station for the Lockout Die and you use separate dies for seating and crimping, you will have to expand your case mouth in the powder measure to make room. You can use the Hornady Powder Through Expanders (as I did) or you can get the aftermarket Universal Powder Funnel assuming they are still available.

On the PTX, if you load .45 ACP be sure you get the right one. I ordered the .451 version and it was too short-it is for .45 Colt. Get the .452 version for the autopistol cartridge.
Old June 9, 2012, 10:43 AM   #10
south.texas.dead.I

I think I'm about to go down the same road as you, i see everyone talking about needing the bushings. Do y'all not use hornady dies with the press or do the hornady does not include the bushings?

Living another day
To CRUSH another clay
Old June 9, 2012, 10:49 AM   #11
Huskerguy

Hornday Dies

I have mostly Hornady dies with some RCBS as well. The bushings do not come with the dies and only for the LNL press. There is also the lock ring some are talking about that comes with the dies. As I understand it, the lock ring would keep the die set tight against the bushing. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I have been writing all of this down on a list and will post it after I get a few more responses. I will warn you that adding up all of these little pieces gets expensive. It doesn't take long before the press is the cheapest part of the deal! I am also price comparing between three places.
Old June 9, 2012, 10:53 AM   #12
south.texas.dead.I

Well I really look forward to seeing your results as I spent hours calculating out my first progressive press and was planning on doing this for the lnlap as well,but would like to know that someone came before me and did it as well haha. Are you doung case feeder? Maybe a couple extra decapping pins

Living another day
To CRUSH another clay
Old June 9, 2012, 11:15 AM   #13
NESHOOTER

HUSKER, hornady dies come with them but others come with some sort of retaining ring here is
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/116...-7-8-14-thread the extra pack which will fit most modern dies
they come in a six pack and I think are the best in the market beats RCBS lock rings.
Old June 9, 2012, 11:20 AM   #14
south.texas.dead.I

Quote:
Originally Posted by NESHOOTER View Post
HUSKER, hornady dies come with them but others come with some sort of retaining ring here is
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/116...-7-8-14-thread the extra pack which will fit most modern dies
they come in a six pack and I think are the best in the market beats RCBS lock rings.
And these will be used in combination with the quick lock bushings to fit the lnl ap when using all non hornady dies. And the hornady does come with everything needed to fit the lnl ap correct?

Living another day
To CRUSH another clay
Old June 9, 2012, 11:33 AM   #15
NESHOOTER

yes however the L-N-L reloader only comes with 5 bushings and you'll need extra bushings as when you get the die setup properly you will not want to remove the bushing to put on another its a hassle and changes the die setup again.
Old June 9, 2012, 06:13 PM   #16
k4swb

Instead of buying Hornady's PTX dies, I recommend this.
http://powderfunnels.com/products.html
Best money for an accessory I spent for my LNL.
Old June 9, 2012, 11:48 PM   #17
Huskerguy

Powder inserts

The only clarifications I need so far are on the powder inserts. I went through some sites and it appears there are different ones. They measure in a range from 5 to 17 and 5 to 100 on the ones I looked at. There is one for 11.00 on Cabelas and one for over double that.

What is the "quick change powder die?" Is that the PTX die or expander and powder drop die? I looked at the aftermarket one that was supplied in a link and it looks like it will work well.

Still a little confused but its getting clearer. Thanks everyone
Old June 10, 2012, 08:57 AM   #18
NESHOOTER

Husker, in the post above your last the k4swb stated they are good addition to the die it will free up a space for your stations and then buy a powder cop or like to help prevent a squib and possible problem.
Old June 10, 2012, 08:25 PM   #19
tobnpr

You get a set of three metering inserts with the press- that will cover all length cartridges, from long rifle like the .06 to pistol brass. It also comes with a separate pistol rotor and metering insert for pistol ammo.

I was referring to the metering inserts, which can be pre-set for your load, and popped in and out...

http://www.hornady.com/store/Standar...Insert-1-Each/

Personally, I don't see the need for a powder "cop" die. It's impossible to double-charge...unless you actually remove a cartridge and replace it, I suppose...
Old June 10, 2012, 09:28 PM   #20
Huskerguy

inserts

tobnpr

Thanks for the clarification. I tried to get a handle on what all comes in the set to no avail. Can you tell me the difference between the two different kinds of inserts? I know there are those for the pistol and long brass but there appears to be a base insert and one that is more fine in it's measurement or something.

Here is what I find on Midway's site:
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSe...+metering+stem

Thanks for the assistance
Old June 11, 2012, 03:13 PM   #21
tobnpr

Huskerguy,

All of the information ye seeks shall be found here:

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/...ing/LNL_AP.pdf

I have no experience with the micrometer metering inserts, I presume they're more finely adjustable. The smallest charge I deal with is 27 grains...and with the extruded powders I use, I'm only going to be (and need to be) "so" precise, anyway.

It would be interesting to hear from someone that's used them to see if they're effective- or maybe talk to Hornady?
Old June 11, 2012, 04:04 PM   #22
bigD01

double charge on lnl ap

I have a Hornady LnL AP
I have accidently double charged a cartridge by not paying attention.
This was accomplished by running case up into powder measure then lowering ram halfway, looking away momentarily, then proceeding to raise it
back up again. Luckily, I have a light pointed down on the area and it was
discovered in time. also using a powder which has enough bulk will help prevent double charges.

DaD
Old June 11, 2012, 06:07 PM   #23
serf 'rett

Other than the above mentioned items....more brass, primers, powder and bullets to feed the beast.

(The additional bushings are a no brainer.)
Old June 11, 2012, 06:51 PM   #24
Crunchy Frog

Huskerguy asked: Can you tell me the difference between the two different kinds of inserts?

I'm talking now about the insert that goes into the rotor of the powder measure. The insert is the part that you adjust to throw the desired charge.

"I feel your pain" on determining what comes with the press. Based on some old information I assumed the press shipped with only the (larger) rifle rotor so I ordered the smaller pistol rotor as well, only to find that Hornady ships the press with the rifle and pistol rotors (each with a "standard" insert).

Here's my understanding. Hornady makes two types of inserts for the powder measure rotors: standard and micrometer. The latter have markings that allow you to write down the "setting" for a particular charge so that you can repeat it.

The "standard" insert has a threaded adjustment with no markings but they are cheap. For example, my pet load for .45 ACP is x.x grains of Clays powder. I have a standard insert that I set for that load, then snugged up the lock ring. I keep it in my .45 ACP die box. When I want to make up my "pet" loads, I snap that insert into the powder measure rotor and it's ready to go.

I don't have any micrometer inserts. I have a spare that I use for "non-pet" loads. I put it in the powder rotor and turn on my scale. I throw a charge and weigh it. Then I adjust the threaded rod in or out until I get the desired load. I takes only a few minutes.

Send me a PM if you want more information on the LNL-AP.
Old June 11, 2012, 10:26 PM   #25
NESHOOTER

AGREED BIG...D, I as well have also double charged a pistol not just by backing up as you stated but when a primer gets stuck and you lose your train of thought it can happen so easy and as tobnpr quoted
Quote:
The smallest charge I deal with is 27 grains...and with the extruded powders I use, I'm only going to be (and need to be) "so" precise, anyway.
Well huskerguy, you'll be doing appx...4grains to and up to 6grains for most pistol charges and if you chance a K-boom on a pistol, it is not my idea of fun and is worth a powder cop or like die for safety sake if you not reloaded before MY RULE # 1 iDOUBLE CHECK EVERYTHING....