The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old March 18, 2005, 03:21 PM   #1
tjhands

Is "Push / Pull" outdated?

I use a Weaver stance and push with my gun hand while pulling with my support hand. Seems I never hear this technique conveyed to people just learning to shoot. Do y'all use it? If not, then what? Thanks!
Old March 18, 2005, 03:56 PM   #2
tanstaafl4y

I was taught "cup and saucer" and further reinforced it in the military and police academy. I purcharde a glock 27 a few months back and was having problems controling muzzle flip. For me Using a modified weaver with push/pull works well for controling the sub-glock but I find that cup/saucer, for me, is more accurate and tighter groups with less fatigue.
Old March 18, 2005, 04:13 PM   #3
XavierBreath

I like to use the Chapman stance, which you never hear about it seems. The difference between the Chapman and the Weaver is the Chapman uses a straight strong arm. I will go from Chapman to Weaver as the situation dictates.

The Isoceles is very much in vogue right now, and for good reason. For the shooter wearing body armor (such as a policeman) the Isoceles has the less exposure of unprotected COM.

It's actually good to be fluent in all three, as well as shooting with either hand from cover. Because you cannot predict the nature of your cover, you cannot predict which technique you will need.

edited to add this link

Last edited by XavierBreath; March 18, 2005 at 04:16 PM. Reason: to add this link. http://www.midwesttraininggroup.net/Tips/take_a_stand.htm
Old March 18, 2005, 04:18 PM   #4
Edward429451

I used to use push-pull a lot, but found that I shot better with a straight arm weaver as Xavier described, with a looser grip on the weapon than with push-pull.

Not good to fight the weapon I found (too tight of grip).
Old March 18, 2005, 04:49 PM   #5
knightkrawler00

I use the Weaver when moving, it is easier to keep the gun from bouncing with the footsteps.

I use Chapman for the longer shots, I am more accurate with Chapman than all others.

When fast follow ups are needed, I use the Isoceles since it is easier to keep muzzle flip to a minimum and is still accurate.
Old March 18, 2005, 04:53 PM   #6
Lycanthrope

Isos. Perfect for everything,
Old March 18, 2005, 05:43 PM   #7
tjhands

Thanks, fellas.

Xavier, thanks for the link - it explains those stances well. I will try the Isoscoles stance next time and see how it feels.