The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 28, 2012, 09:21 PM   #101
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Wow -- four pages of posts about bad guns and nobody has bashed Hi-Point yet! Maybe those who bought H-P are ashamed to admit?
Or more likely they don't belong in the hunk of junk category!
Big, awkward, ugly, unrefined, yes. Junk, no, Reliable, and accurate with unquestionably the best customer support in the business! But they are so tough that customer support isn't often needed.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old April 28, 2012, 11:26 PM   #102
Frasier

Mine was a Taurus TCP 738 in .380. It was built broken and it went back to the gun store to be traded for a Ruger LCR. I couldn't be happier.
Old April 29, 2012, 02:07 AM   #103
zippy13

High Standard Dura-Matic M101 .22LR pistol back in the mid 60s. It had a one-piece plastic (bakelite?) grip/frame that kept self-destructing. Its performance didn't live up to its name.

Humm... you ever wonder what ever happens to the POS guns that go back to the gun shops?
Old April 29, 2012, 07:28 AM   #104
kcub

I have 2 Colt D frames that have the opposite problem of your SP101.

They are perfectly reliable double action but can bind when you try to thumb cock them for single action. One is a LNIB 3rd gen nickel detective special and the other is an e nickel Diamondback (that I just sent to Colt).

I'm not calling Colts "junk" though. They are just old and need a little TLC.
Old April 29, 2012, 10:44 AM   #105
Jbar4Ranch

Taurus Thunderbolt.

I even knew about their reputation and bought one anyway, thinking NOTHING could be THAT bad... well, they are.

SASS 47015
Old April 29, 2012, 06:54 PM   #106
FairWarning

Commanche III in .357 Mag. Bought it NIB at a gunshow at a "steal".

I found out the next day at the range why it is such a bargain. Owned it less than 24 hrs if that says anything.
Old April 30, 2012, 09:15 AM   #107
gyvel

Quote:
They are perfectly reliable double action but can bind when you try to thumb cock them for single action. One is a LNIB 3rd gen nickel detective special and the other is an e nickel Diamondback (that I just sent to Colt).
If it's being caused by what I think, it's a fairly simple fix. I'm guessing the cylinder bolt (stop) is disengaging itself from the rebound lever prematurely and popping back up to lock the cylinder in place before the hand starts to rotate it.

I studied the SP101 carefully before I gave up and sent it back to Ruger, and could never see any obvious cause for my problem. It left me with a bad taste for Ruger revolvers. What galls me most of all is that it went back THREE times and they couldn't fix it. I guess in those days they didn't care about customer relations and never offered me a replacement.
Old April 30, 2012, 09:55 AM   #108
themalicious0ne

i really dont know what you guys are talking about, I took my dad's high point .380 to the range once just to take a look, I have no idea how old it was or how many rounds were put through it but jammed frequently, well i guess more stovepipes but the accuracy was terrible. 10 yards id aim dead center, first round about 4" low and left, ok i didnt expect much. The next shot aimed at the same spot, maybe a foot staight low? All the rest of the shots danced aound those areas, I felt like the round had troubles making it there. I have no idea what that was about. I'll trust my revolvers, cz's, glock's, sig's and H&k's anyday. I dont know much about high point but with that beat up old gun, I wasnt impressed. itll work if your close but id prefer just about any other weapon, possibly even a knife.
Old April 30, 2012, 11:17 PM   #109
coolbreezy

glock 22, it was an absolute lemon. The g20 I just got, however, reinstated my faith in glock.
S&W highway patrolman 28-2/ Springfield mil spec 1911 (semi custom)/ Sig P220 match elite .45 acp/Kimber micro 9 stainless/ Remington 870 tac14/ Taurus pt22/ S&W 629-1 3" .44 mag/ S&W 629 PC V-Comp/ Beretta M9/ Stevens/Savage 311A 12 ga double bbl/ Magnum research Desert Eagle XIX .44 mag/ S&W 460 xvr/ Glock g40 10mm longslide/ H&K usp compact .45 acp/ Ruger SuperBlackhawk Lipsey Edition/ S&W 686+ 3-5-7 talo edition
Old May 1, 2012, 11:38 AM   #110
Biff Tannen

Worst pieces of trash I bought were from Leinad/cobray.
Bought them on a website, and had no idea that such unsafe guns could pass any government inspections, nor did I ever think that someone could sell them in good conscience.
They were so unsafe that I never fired them, and did not resell them, as I would fear for the safety of anyone who might have the misfortune to load them.
This month I am giving them to one of several "turn in your guns for gift certificate" programs in my city.
Take heed: these guns are a travesty and are a blight on gun safety.
Old May 2, 2012, 08:03 PM   #111
Stevie-Ray

AMT Govt. Beautiful piece, but NEVER a magazine without at least 2 malfunctions, even after it came back supposedly fixed from AMT. Sold with full disclosure in favor of a Colt Mark IV.

I would like to have it back now that I can put the time and effort into it to make it run as lovely as it looked.
Old May 3, 2012, 04:50 PM   #112
kealil

Walther p-22, never again with that gun.

My Taurus 24/7 LS 9mm was flawless after the initial cleaning. not the best gun in the world but a nice plinker.
Old May 4, 2012, 09:18 AM   #113
Master Blaster 2

Rogak, Inc L.E.S. P-18 pistol

Old May 4, 2012, 03:02 PM   #114
aryfrosty

Junkers

Taurus Judge lightweight. Inaccurate with .45C loads. If you held the gun upright and lightly touched the trigger the cylinder stop would retract and the cylinder would turn out of battery until it locked up at the second the trigger broke. I had it repaired and sold it. Never had a good Taurus revolver and never had a bad Taurus semi-auto.
Old May 4, 2012, 03:20 PM   #115
IA7.3

SIG mosquito .22! would not feed anything! even the factory recommended CCI hot ammo would jam, installed the lighter recoil spring which was suppose to help, didn't, polished the feed ramp, no help, gave up and traded it for a kahr cm9. then bought a ruger mark III 22/45 awesome little 22!
Old May 4, 2012, 05:29 PM   #116
CountryUgly

A chrome plated Cobra .380 . Ahh I was so young and so stupid.
Old May 4, 2012, 06:21 PM   #117
Datguy781

Hi Point C9, thought it would be as good as the .45 I traded away a couple years ago. I was very very wrong jammed at least twice on every mag. I dont care if it has a lifetime warranty. I would like it to work out of the box. Guess Im spoiled with reliable quailty products.
Old May 12, 2012, 02:48 AM   #118
Venom1956

Quote:
In some ways,I think that just because of the sheer high volume of Taurus firearms out there in the world,the chances of finding/having a poor one is also higher.
Lol. Especially when 6 out of 10 are poor. =P when a 40 year old S&W it still holding together better then three seperate taurus models... I doubt the reason is they are churning out SO MANY high quality firearms that all we can find are the lemons.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old May 14, 2012, 12:24 PM   #119
delzo

AMT Backup .380...... Three trips to the gunsmith and twice to the factory could not make this thing go BOOM.....click click click....BOOM....click...BOOM....click click. (you get the idea)
Old May 14, 2012, 01:20 PM   #120
Stressfire

RIA CS (I can accept that maybe i just got a bad one)

Wasn't all the gun's fault, more my own for not fully checking out before purchase - Looked great on the outside, but the machining on the interior of the slide and frame was horrible - looked like the bits had skittered over the parts it was cutting.

Would shoot and feed fine for the most part, but every few shots the slide wouldn't go into battery, would be about 1/8" - 1/4" shy - had to tap the back of the slide with left thumb to fully return it.

Also liked to tear up cases and wreck jacketing on the feed ramp

Traded it (and $100) for a stainless 4" GP-100 and never looked back
Old May 14, 2012, 10:55 PM   #121
B.N.Real

Used Ruger 22/45 4 inch tapered barrel in like new condition bought last year.

Would'nt feed rain dropping in the open action reliably much less 22 rounds.

But my most wonderful memory is of the gremlin hotel I once bought ( about ten years ago) which was a matte nickel plated High Standard snubby revolver 22.

I so hated this skipping action piece of dog ka spatt that multiple times I just wanted to go get my saws-all and just chop it into very tiny little High Standard pieces.

I finally let it go for a steal at a gun store to someone to use as parts with full warning it was a total piece of horse ka plopper.

Last edited by B.N.Real; May 14, 2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old May 17, 2012, 08:47 AM   #122
FJ4ZROX

Kimber Series II - those "wonderful" proprietary parts to make the weapon even more safe
Old May 17, 2012, 02:55 PM   #123
bikerbill

Bond derringer ... it wasn't junk, of course, it was beautifully made, but after I shot it a few times, I was hard-pressed to figure out what it was good for ... only two rounds, hard to hold, hard to cock, takes forever to reload and then you still only have two rounds ... nice conversation piece at the range, great paperweight ... long gone ...

as for Hi-Point ... have a 9mm carbine which works like a charm, no problems, accurate, fun to shoot ... once the word got out, all the deer that used to dine on the golf course behind my house moved to other holes ... and I don't even hunt ...
Old May 18, 2012, 11:03 PM   #124
gyvel

Quote:
AMT Backup .380...... Three trips to the gunsmith and twice to the factory could not make this thing go BOOM.....click click click....BOOM....click...BOOM....click click. (you get the idea)
LOL! I ran into that problem in the 80s when I was still working. Our shop ordered 6 from AMT, out of which exactly one would fire.

I went crazy looking for a solution (stronger hammer spring, lighter firing pin return spring, slight enlargement of the clearance slot on the fp, etc., etc.), but finally had an epiphany one day.

The problem was that the hammers had been cast slightly oversize, and, when the trigger was pullled, the front of the hammer was dragging against the sear, slowing it down enough so that the pistols wouldn't fire. Some slight dressing of the oversized front portion of the hammer and, voila!, they all fired reliably after that.
Old May 19, 2012, 03:03 AM   #125
ultratec1

Kahr CW45. My plan was to run 200rds through the gun one day, I couldn't get through a 6rd magazine without having 6 FTF, always took 2 primer strikes. I tried Federal, winchester white box, speer gold dots, blazer and some remington golden sabers. Nothing. Heck I even ran some cheap Wolf through it and believe it or not it actually shot that a little better than the other stuff.

Called Kahr and I was told that I needed to get the required 250rds break in put through it and it should start to work itself out. I couldnt get 100rds through the gun how was I suppose to get up to the 250???
Closed Thread

Tags
cheap , gun , hand gun , pistol