The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 3, 2011, 06:08 PM   #1
TX Hunter

Which Game Camara to buy?

I have been wanting to buy a couple of Game Camaras to set up in my Deer Hunting areas. I hunt out of Box Stands , use Corn Feeders and Hunt with Rifles.
My problem is that there are so many diferent brands, with diferent prices. Also I dont know anything about them because I have never owned one.
I dont want one that will spook deer, but also want them to be reasonably affordable.
Can anyone give help ?

Last edited by TX Hunter; November 3, 2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old November 3, 2011, 06:20 PM   #2
RamItOne

Moultrie seem to work fine. No personal experience with cameras (friends use them), I just look for tell tale signs and run with it.

You can go all out and get wifi set up as well.
Old November 3, 2011, 07:54 PM   #3
Hog Buster

I’ve got a couple of Moultries, a Bushnell and recently purchased a Wild Game. The Moultries have never failed and I’ve had them for a few years. They’re daylight and flash only, no IR.

The Bushnell didn’t last a whole season. It’s daylight pics were OK, but the IR ones were terrible quality, along with other problems. Hard to program too. Just junk in my opinion.

The Wild Game takes good pictures in daylight and good IR pictures, but the IR flash could be wider to better cover the area photographed. Times between pictures could have a wider variety of settings too.

Trigger times on all 3 could be faster, but as is was satisfactory for me. Price of these was in the $100 range.

As a side note I have found that deer, and other critters, with the exception of coyotes, don’t seem to pay any attention to a flash picture at night. Many times same place, same deer, same critters, flash or IR made no difference to them.
Old November 3, 2011, 09:23 PM   #4
603Country

I've got some Moultries of various model numbers and one Leaf River. I had one Bushnell that got drowned in high water and I had one SniperCam that I never could get working and never could get any help from their customer dis-service department. The Moultries and the Leaf River all work fine, but I have the same complaint about all of them - slow trigger time. I had a big 10 point walk past me on Monday evening and then walk past the Leaf River camera. I saw the flash, but got no picture of the buck, since the trigger time let him get completely past the camera before it triggered the picture and flash. But...one good thing about all of the cameras I have is that battery life is great. Everything is fine but the trigger time.
Old November 4, 2011, 12:29 AM   #5
Luciano

Wildview has the fastest trigger time out of all lower end cameras.
Old November 4, 2011, 08:13 AM   #6
highvel

I have two of the Moultree M100's and like em! There may be better ones but these work well for me.
Trail cam, video with sound, hybrid and plot cam modes.
I especially like the "Plot Cam" mode where you can set it to take pic's at certain times automatically without needing to be triggered. It keeps track of sunrise and sunset and adjusts accordingly.

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old November 4, 2011, 10:53 AM   #7
spclPatrolGroup

I only use moultree IR cameras. Never seen a picture where it appears that the deer has been spooked by it.
Old November 4, 2011, 11:10 AM   #8
rk11

I purchased a bushnell trophy cam a couple of months ago and i like it. It is my first trail camera so nothing to compare it to. The pics do have a "washed out" effect at dusk and dawn but otherwise pretty good. Day pics are better but night pics are still good. It is an infrared cam so there is no flash and i have several pics of deer with their nose right up to the camera. Battery life is ok. I tend to leave it out for about a week at a time, went about 4 weeks before changing batteries the 1st time while running on 4 aaa's. You can use 8 aaa's for better lifespan. It also has a built in viewer. This is good for quick reference but small. I hook the unit up to a computer to go through the pics. I set it up for 8 megapixel pics on 10 second intervals with low sensetivity. This gives the best results for me. I decided on this camera after reading several reviews @ trailcampro.com. Check out the website, it might help.
Old November 4, 2011, 11:30 AM   #9
PigFarmer

I use the Wildview, easy set up and good clear pictures. Big fan.
Old November 4, 2011, 09:13 PM   #10
Win73

I have 4 Moultries, 2 IR and 2 flash. Neither one seems to spook the deer. I like the flash type better for night pictures. With the IR at night, you just get black and white. With the flash you get color.

I had a Wildview but I took it back because it wasn't satisfactory to me.

I had a Moultrie flash type that the flash quit firing. It would still trip and take good day pictures but the night pictures were just black. The warranty was one year but the camera was a year and a half old. Moultrie's web site said it normally was not economical to repair one out of warranty. But they said if you wanted to send it in they would check it and let you know how much it would cost to repair. If you didn't want to have it repaired, they would send it back to you. I figured why not, and sent it to them. A couple of weeks later, they sent me a new one! And no charge! The old one was a D4 (four megapixel), the new one was a D5 (five megapixel).

And talk about not spooking:

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old November 5, 2011, 11:51 AM   #11
TX Hunter

Thanks Guys,

From what I have heard, I think I will get a couple of Moultries, they sound like they are very dependable, and affordable.
I hope you all have a good Hunting Season.
Old November 19, 2011, 05:33 AM   #12
donaldbracy

I own four of them and by far the leaf river and the cudde back are the best I have used they are alittle more than you want to spend but they are worth it I have cheaper ones but they are just that
Old November 20, 2011, 04:26 PM   #13
onewing

I required one that filmed in HD video.with sound and completely black light. I think the only one that will do this is the top of range bushnell. I've owned 2 bushnell trophy cams, and am happy with them. Strangely the cam with built in viewer triggers slower then the one without so I'd avoid that.
Old November 20, 2011, 07:49 PM   #14
TX Hunter

Well

I bought a Couple of Camaras, one is a Tasco, and the other one is a Multree.
I just put the Multree out and have not checked it, but I have had the Tasco out for a week and a half or so, and gotten several pictures.
The Deer seem to be stirring mostly at night, but I did however get a big Ten Pointer Friday. That deer was only the second deer I have seen all season.
I will have to post a picture when I get them up loaded.
My Father in law got a Primos Truth Cam 60 and it takes awesom pictures.
I really apreciate all the advice you guys have given me.
My Wife is Frying up some Back Strap as we speak.
This was my first ever buck with more than Eight Points !!!!
Old November 20, 2011, 10:14 PM   #15
pbratton

I put up a Bushnell this year... This one came home with us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SUNP0263.jpg (143.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg SUNP0159.jpg (231.8 KB, 18 views)
Old November 24, 2011, 06:53 PM   #16
TX Hunter

The Tasco has failed within a couple weeks. Changed batteries and its still dead. Its going back to Wallmart. Glad i got the extended warranty