The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 10, 2000, 10:26 PM   #1
mineralman

Does anyone here hunt with a handgun? What kind? and for what sort of game? I personally use an H&R model 999 for squirrels and other small furry things.

~~~Mineralman
Old January 10, 2000, 11:20 PM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Moved from Handgun to Hunting Forum.
Rich
Old January 11, 2000, 12:41 AM   #3
bergie

Howdy,
I'm not really a dedicated handgun hunter, but I have done some. Have shot quite a few bunnies and squirrels with various .22's, Ruger, & Browning semiautos and and old H&R revolver. Have also taken a whitetail doe at about 20yds. with my .357, and a buck at about 10 with my .45.
Bergie
Old January 11, 2000, 02:47 AM   #4
JackNKoch

I'm not much of a hunter. I have taken a couple of whitetail deer with handguns, though. I used a Ruger Redhawk with 5 1/2" bbl and open sights on the first one. A Colt .357 (model as well as caliber) with 4" barrel and adjustable iron sights took the second deer. 240 grain JHPs and Federal 125 gr JHP. I've shot other critters with handguns, but not necessarily in the sporting tradition. Blasted cottontail with .25 ACP for example. Shot a shrew with a .22 Mag Single Six. Treed opossum with Ruger Mark II. And birds. Soooo many birds. Including Victory model .38 S&W with Wonder Sight. CCI shotshells out of a High Standard derringer. CO2 powered BB pistol. Well, you get the picture. I know of several people who truly handgun hunt deer, squirrel, and raccoon. Scoped Thompson-Center Contenders in .300 Whisper and Anschutz in .22LR to various magnum revolvers and semiautomatic rimfires.
Old January 11, 2000, 08:23 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

Only own handguns (real ones, not single-shot short rifles).

Use a: .357Mag (4" GP100 or 7.5" Redhawk), 10mm Glock, 5.5" 41, 44, or 45LC Redhawk for deer, 45ACP Witness (groundhogs), and a 38 Super(?!) for coyotes.

When I go where bears are I carry minimum 44 Mag.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old January 11, 2000, 11:31 AM   #6
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

"Only own handguns (real ones, not single-shot short rifles)"

Careful there. You could start something.
Old January 11, 2000, 12:46 PM   #7
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

I've used a ruger mk2 (5.5 bull barrel) for small game for years. I've carried a 44 vaquero as a sidearm for big game for five years or so. (you gotta have BIG pistol for big game in colorado). I've zapped jackrabbits and Prarie Dogs a plenty with that 22 pistol though. No mods except for custom cocobolo target grips.

But I hunt with a BUNCH of handgun hunters for big game. and they have been known to carry everything from 454 casulls, 475 linebaughs to 30-06 contender encores, not to mention wildcat XP's in calibers I've never heard of (you know SURE it started out as a 6mm/08 ackley improved until I talked to Bob over at the skunkworks.. now its a 6.5mm jdj ackerman hybrid with a... blah blah blah...) Those guys have more money than sense.. but MAN they can shoot. Ruger Blackhawk "hunter" models are very popular in my camp too. But dogging with these guys is an experience you have to SEE to believe.

Dr.Rob

Old January 11, 2000, 04:13 PM   #8
Robert the41MagFan

I love to handgun hunt.........

You have a particular game in mind, I have the right tool.

Robert
Old February 2, 2000, 05:39 PM   #9
sjones

Yes, I hunt with a ruger bisley 45 colt with a 7 1/2 inch barrel and iron sights although I am thinking about adding a scope. I also reload all my own ammunition which is fun by itself.I guess you could call my ruger a real gun,I sure wouldn't want to be on the recieving end of it.
Old February 2, 2000, 11:19 PM   #10
StraightShooter

Robert,

I'm with you, I love to hunt with a handgun! I use a Ruger Super Redhawk SSK custom in 44 mag. What type of 41 mag do you favor?
Old February 3, 2000, 04:54 AM   #11
Robert the41MagFan

StraightShooter,

I have three Smith & Wesson 657, the latest is this one that was aquired over the holidays. A Classic Hunter II with porting.

Robert
Old February 4, 2000, 02:53 AM   #12
Rob Pincus

here's my wife's first handgun kill:

I've used a Model 29 and that 10mm above to take several deer.....
Old September 6, 2000, 07:20 PM   #13
jtduncan

I just took out my Glock 19 with a .22 lr Advantage Arms conversion kit on it last week for some rabbit hunting.

Great accuracy up to 25 yards so far - only could test it in an indoor range.

Didn't run into any rabbits but flushed 5 grouse and bagged two with my Rem 870.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter - TFL/GT/UGW/PCT/KTOG
Old September 6, 2000, 07:23 PM   #14
jtduncan

What a nice hog and she took it with a Glock 29 in 10mm? Wow!

I don't think we have hogs in Western Washington.

I wonder could I hunting with my Glock 30 if I shot with some enhanced cartidge like .40 Super or .400 Corbon? Who knows?

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter - TFL/GT/UGW/PCT/KTOG
Old September 6, 2000, 07:52 PM   #15
BadMedicine

I don't specifically hunt with pistols, but I kill alot of stuff with them. I won't be caught in the woods without my Ruger MKII .22 semi-auto. I always have it on my belt, fishing, boating, even hunting big game. I like to carry a box of these "no-Gunpowder" .22 bullets. They're very quite, sound like you lightly claping your hand. Then I can shoot grouse or snow-shoe, and not have to worry about scarying bigger game in the area. I was a little worried about how powerful they are, I shot one into a 2X4 and it went more than half an inch in. Not great, but fine for plinking small game.
Old September 6, 2000, 08:50 PM   #16
Fisher

I’ve hunted with pistols for probably about ten years now. I first started hunting with a .357 colt python and bagged my first deer with a handgun. After that I experimented a bit with other calibers, S&W 41 magnum, S&W 45 long, S&W and Ruger 44 magnum and Colt SAA 45 long colt. All were very good guns and calibers to hunt with but I finally ended up with the Contender in 44 Magnum. Better accuracy, ability to change barrels/calibers inexpensively and much higher velocities and greater range were my deciding factors.

Since my decision to go with the contender I have added several barrels to my collection. The .22 for squirrel hunting, .222 for varmint hunting, .357 maximum also for deer hunting and the .35 Remington I hope to use for hog hunting in the future. All these barrels are scoped. Everyone has there favorite guns whether they are wheel guns or hand cannons. I still have my Ruger super black hawk and take it out hunting on occasion. But, when I need to but that bullet in the right spot to take an animal down with one shot. I use my contender. Not because it’s the only pistol that can do it, but because that’s the pistol I feel most comfortable with.

[This message has been edited by Fisher (edited September 06, 2000).]
Old September 6, 2000, 11:03 PM   #17
KilgorII

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jtduncan:
What a nice hog and she took it with a Glock 29 in 10mm? Wow!

I wonder could I hunting with my Glock 30 if I shot with some enhanced cartidge like .40 Super or .400 Corbon? Who knows?

[/quote]

I believe that is a Fullsized Glock model 20 with a 6" hunting barrel. But I could be wrong.

I think the .40 super would be you best bet as it has way more power than the .400 corbon and is sold with Triton's Quik-Shok.