The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 26, 2012, 09:04 PM   #1
iraiam

Hornaday recipe change

They did it to me again, I have the latest hornaday loading manual now, one of my long standing recipes has been changed quite a bit.

6th edition Recipe 45 ACP
Hornaday 230 grain XTP, HAP, FMJ-RN,FMJ-FP
HS-6 Powder MAX of 8.7 grains

New recipe is a MAX of 8.2 grains, a full 0.5 grains lower.

I guess it would not be a big deal except I have several hundred rounds loaded at 8.5gr. both XTP-HP and FMJ-RN, about half of it was loaded as SD for longer term storage, Dang it!!

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old October 26, 2012, 09:32 PM   #2
Sport45

What's the big deal? If it worked in your guns before it will still work now.

Data discrepancies between manuals are common. I use the latest data with my newest powders, but don't worry at all about stuff I've already loaded. And I don't change loads that work for me.
Old October 26, 2012, 09:46 PM   #3
Colorado Redneck

Decreasing powder charges

I have noticed in comparing load data from various editions of Hornady that the loads for come calibers have been cut down. Some explain this as being related to testing technology, ie strain gages.

I seldom load to max, other than during load development. But having said that, it is interesting that some calibers are now less effective than they were years ago. The 270 Winchester is an example. In the oldest Hornady manuel I have they had several powder loads that would send the 130 gr. spire point out at 3200 fps. And there were a couple of powders that mailed the 150 gr. spire point over 3000 fps. Today, they have just a few powders that exceed 3000 fps for the 130 gr., and nothing over 3100 fps. and not a single load that is close to 3000 fps for the 150 gr. Also, 130 gr.factory ammo was sold at 3140 fps for many years, but now, excepting high performance ammo 3060 fps is the standard. So was this change of data based on documented failures?

Being an old cynic, I think not.
Old October 27, 2012, 04:38 AM   #4
jwrowland77

I wouldn't worry about changing my load until you bought a new lot of powder. If you still have plenty of the powder you used to get your load, your good. The powder used burn rate doesn't magically change just because a new manual came out.

If you have your load you like to use, use it until new lot of powder is bought then work your way back up like always.
Old October 27, 2012, 09:48 AM   #5
rg1

The 45ACP XTP bullet by Hornady has changed in shape a little from the era of the 6th edition until today's 8th edition. Don't know if this has anything to do with the change in load data or not?
Old October 27, 2012, 10:15 AM   #6
tobnpr

I don't handload for our pistol calibers, but...while I cross reference the bullet manufacturer's data for the heck of it...I rely on the powder manufacturer's data, typically Hodgdon's website for me.
Old October 27, 2012, 01:29 PM   #7
iraiam

Quote:
The 45ACP XTP bullet by Hornady has changed in shape a little from the era of the 6th edition until today's 8th edition. Don't know if this has anything to do with the change in load data or not?
The Hornaday books list all 4 of their 230 grain jacketed bullets with the same recipies, there is not a seperate recipe for each bullet. I have several hundred rounds that are 3/10 of a grain above the new max, and 2/10 of a grain below the old max.

At this point I'm just going leave the loaded SD ammo, and modify the charge for new ammo or possibly switch to a different powder all together based on velocity loss.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason