The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 22, 2009, 11:30 PM   #1
TargetTerror

Remington/Enfield 1917 scope mount question

I've got a sporterized Remington 1917 (which I understand is a US 1917 Enfield made by Remington). It came with a nice monte carlo style stock, which I had a limbsaver recoil pad installed on. The rear sight was completely removed, and it was fitted with a Lyman commercial style peep sight.

I'd like to put a scope mount on this rifle and use it for deer hunting. I'm particularly interested in the S&K Insta Mounts, as they requiring no additional gunsmithing, and I could easily switch back and forth between the scope and the peep sight.

I'm a little confused about how the Insta Mount installs on the 1917, and about the original rear sight assembly itself. Were the ears literally part of the receiver, or did they attach in some fashion? There are no ears at all on my rifle. The right side of the receiver looks unblemished, and there are some tooling marks/scuffs on the left side around the bolt release. Also, there is 1 tapped hole on the top of the receiver where the rear sight was, and 2 tapped holes on the right side where the Lyman side screws in. Are all of the those holes original, or were the 2 on the side drilled/tapped for this sight specifically?

Will the Insta Mount fit without the ears being present?
Old April 23, 2009, 01:24 AM   #2
HiBC

Hi,First off,I suspect you have something quite nice,worthy of doing things right.

And,since you are not too sure about the ears,this is a bit unfamiliar to you.

That is OK,we all start someplace.Lets treat it nice.

Some folks,maybe Insta mounts ,make mounts to take advantage of the original steel.Find a picture of an original P-17 and you will see the original rear sight was integral with the rear bridge,and a good combat sight.In the business of building sporters,most folks found them kinda ugly,and gunsmiths building sporters removed them,and reshaped the rear bridge.

Now,this is somewhat in the evolutionary path of the early remintons,like the 721.It is/was quite easy to set up an Enfield to take Remington 700 bases,if that was the plan of the smith who reshaped the bridge.

My recomendation is to put in the effort to find an old smith who has experience building custom rifles old school,show him what you have,and work together to find out what will work right.I think you will end up with some very conventional rings and bases screwed to the bridges.

Best of luck.
Old April 23, 2009, 01:35 AM   #3
Tikirocker

G'day,

Sadly your ears have been chopped ... that is highly unfortunate since M1917 Enfields are going for good money these days and highly sought after by Milsurp shooters and collectors. Good on you for wanting to use a no gunsmith mount, you will be glad you did down the road.

This forum here ( http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewforum.php?f=36 ) will answer your questions in depth and is full of blokes with M1917's, very knowledgeable as they are collector/shooters.

Best, Tiki.