The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 1, 2009, 11:32 AM   #1
cheryldes

Gun Safe Advice Please

I live in a very small apartment and am looking to find a safe to protect my guns(4 pistols and a shotgun). I cannot attach anything to the wall or floor and it can't be super heavy because I am on the secnd floor. I am not really worried about a break-in where I live. So, could you plrease advise me on manufacturers that would deliver something that will hold the guns mentioned? I am a novice to this so please help. A gun safe is also required where I live in MA. Thanks so much. Cheryl
Old March 1, 2009, 12:26 PM   #2
Pahoo

Then I would think you could get by with one of the "Stack-On" models or equal. You can find them just about anywhere. I refer to these as metal cabinets rather than a safe but you can lock them. You did say your were not afraid of a break-in and it still meets your requirements.

Frankly, I never thought I'd ever recommend one of these but it will fit the bill.

Be Safe !!!
Old March 1, 2009, 08:34 PM   #3
1goodshot

Home depot had some sentry safes that looked like the might work.
Old March 1, 2009, 08:39 PM   #4
JagFarlane

Then I would think you could get by with one of the "Stack-On" models or equal. You can find them just about anywhere. I refer to these as metal cabinets rather than a safe but you can lock them. You did say your were not afraid of a break-in and it still meets your requirements.

Frankly, I never thought I'd ever recommend one of these but it will fit the bill.

Be Safe !!!

Yup was going to bring up the Stack-ons. They more or less fit the bill for what you want, are a decent price, and I believe Dicks Sporting Goods carries them in stock.
Old March 2, 2009, 09:52 AM   #5
cheryldes

Thanks for the recommendation. I looked them up online and yes, they are just what I need. Any concerns about moisture? I don't use much heat, but do use A/C during the summer. Your help is appreciated. Never owned a safe or anything like it before. I looked at Home Depot and Lowes. They don't sell them in MA. Can you direct me to a site that will deliver right into my apartment for a reasonable price? Thank you all for your help. Cheryl

Last edited by cheryldes; March 2, 2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old March 2, 2009, 12:08 PM   #6
Pahoo

Cheryl

There is more than one way to skin this cat but for the small size and the few number of firearms you intend to maintain, I would omit any protection or minimize. Dessicants might be in order and a Golden rod might be over-kill in this application. I monitor my safe's internal humidity so you might want to buy one as well. For now, just keep an eye one them.
I would compliment you on taking steps to secure you collection.

Another point to consider is that you have to accomodate and future purchases. Strange how your safe will shrink when you get the bug !!

Be Safe !!!!
Old March 13, 2009, 09:34 AM   #7
cheryldes

Well, my Stack-on Security Cabinet came today. Fits the bill perfectly. Just want to say "thanks" for the recommendation. It will hold my guns and satisfy Massachusetts gun law at the same time. Will be getting a small amount of desiccant in a day or to. Does anyone know what to do with the big sticker on the front of the door? Seems as I pull it off, it is leaving a mark. Anyone have this same problem? It is minor, just curious. Cheryl
Old March 13, 2009, 12:24 PM   #8
protectedbyglock

Use some of that "Oops" stuff to get the sticker residue off. Grocery store or walmart will have it. Works better than goo gone.
I just used some to get the stickers off of a new dishwasher. Worked great! I thought I ruined the stainless, but some barkeepers friend shined it right up!

Glad you got somewhere to keep your guns. I need to buy yet another safe in the next couple of weeks, too.
Old March 13, 2009, 02:15 PM   #9
cheryldes

Company says some of the stickers were put on before epoxy??? and that is why there is a difference in color when you attempt to take it off. Anyone ever heard of this? Does anyone have one of these Stack-On lock cabinets? Sounds strange to me. Thanks Cheryl