The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 2, 2013, 03:41 PM   #51
seeker_4

Bersa opinions

Being quite a Bersa fan I enjoy reading about Bersa, and find some of the things said here a little confusing. I bought a Bersa BP9cc after shooting a friends and gave it to my fiance for CC, and liked it so much I ordered another one for me. Initial break in was about 250 rounds, and since both have had another 500 plus rounds fired through them. They have always functioned to perfection.
I'm a retired LEO, former rangemaster, firearms instructor, OPOA competator and one of the questions I have always been asked is which firearm is best. My answer has always been the one you enjoy shooting the most, because that's the one you will shoot the best with.
I truly have no qualms recommending the BP9cc and have had a couple friends want to order them, just hard to find lately. Price has gone up in the last 6 months on Bersa like every other brand out there. Two of the local gunsmiths I know well and one carries a Bersa BP9 for his CC.
I think you get get some faults with any manufacture, but I think 2 in a row must just be bad luck. How old were your Bersa's??
Old February 2, 2013, 03:55 PM   #52
Skadoosh

seeker_4 wrote:
Quote:
I think you get get some faults with any manufacture, but I think 2 in a row must just be bad luck. How old were your Bersa's??
Bad luck? I dont think so.

Two in a row...at least to me...doesnt mean bad luck. One broken Bersa, well I might be convinced that it was bad luck. But two in a row? Nope. Sorry. To me two for two indicates poor materials and/or manufacturing.

And they were straight out of the box new with less than 250 through each.
Old February 2, 2013, 07:43 PM   #53
seeker_4

Bersa opinions

I guess one more queston...how far apart were the serial numbers? Maybe bad batch? Wish I knew the answers. I told my fiance what you wrote and we'll keep a close eye. Maybe we just (and happily so) got some really good ones... our serial numbers are only 4 apart since they came from the same dealer. Since you're not shooting them, send em back and find out. Be a great time to check out the lifetime gaurantee. Her response.... "well. lets go shoot some more and see what happens". Hopefully they'll stay the good ones, but really... over 750 rounds flawless so far. and we both like the feel and looks. Normally, if they put out one bad in 1000.. that's the one I get. Then too, maybe the Bersa gods just.... like us?
Old February 2, 2013, 07:54 PM   #54
Cluck Me

I have around 700 rounds through my Bersa, all trouble free. Look up Theis holsters for a good IWB CC holster.
Old February 2, 2013, 08:02 PM   #55
seeker_4

Holsters...that is a consideration. I'm getting a few in the drawers I don't care for. I made ours and I'm not a holster maker so they could use a little help. But a friend told me Glock 26 holsters fit the BP9cc like they are made for it. Has anyone else tried that? If it's true it would open a pretty big door out there. I know, plenty of Bersa holsters, but not for BP9cc so far.
Old February 2, 2013, 09:05 PM   #56
ttarp

I wouldn't worry too much seeker, the majority of Bersa owners are satisfied with their handguns. Or else those who have bad experiences keep to themselves more, there are a few unhappy customers in this thread and many happy ones. Bersa's are cheaper, a Walther PPK feels like a high quality handgun to me, the Bersa just feels cheaper, but barring the "lemons" they shoot well and last a long time.
Old February 3, 2013, 07:58 AM   #57
327 FM

Don't listen to Skadouche, he's just a hater.

Bersa makes excellent pistols.
Old February 3, 2013, 08:01 AM   #58
327 FM

Bersa makes excellent pistols
Old February 3, 2013, 08:11 AM   #59
Skadoosh

Quote:
That's real classy 327. I guess we should lower our expectations of you from now on.

If I was a hater, I certainly wouldn't have purchased two Bersa pistols. I gave Bersa more than a fair shake. I am reporting my experiences which happens to contrast with the prevailing opinion. How does that make me a hater?
Old February 3, 2013, 08:27 AM   #60
327 FM

You are a hater because you keep posting about how much you hate Bersa. If you want to voice your opinion, fine. Do it once and then move on.

If someone asks their opinion on a gun I don't care for because of a bad experience I had, I would make one post explaining why and then just move on. It's really that simple.

I'm sorry you two bad experiences with Bersa. But the vast majority of Bersa owners love their their guns.

Every manufacture of every kind of gadget and gizmo out there occasionaly lets some of inferior quality get past them. It happens.
Old February 3, 2013, 08:47 AM   #61
Skadoosh

Quote:
You are a hater because you keep posting about how much you hate Bersa. If you want to voice your opinion, fine. Do it once and then move on.

If someone asks their opinion on a gun I don't care for because of a bad experience I had, I would make one post explaining why and then just move on. It's really that simple.
Except that I was asked direct questions by other members in this thread...as well as directly challenged. Much in the same way you read my post and then responded to my post.
Old February 9, 2013, 10:58 AM   #62
seeker_4

Not challenging anyone...trying to help. We did go out and put in another 200 rounds in each. What could I say, she wanted to"burn a couple caps". I'd still get hold of Eagle Imports... you paid, they need to get it right. Maybe it's also a tribute to Froglube since I've gone that route with everything.
I'm not saying Bersa is the greatest since God made women, but I carry mine, used it flawlessly and have full confidence in it. My lady gets too attached to it, makes me jealous a little. Well, not really.
I did pick up a holster yesterday (Galco PLE for Glock 26) and I have to say.. if it wasn't made for the Bersa BP9cc, it should have been. Slightly snug for now but I haven't really worked it yet. Leave it sit for a couple days in freezer bag and then wax paper it... I did come to the full conclusion the Bersa Gods do like us.....
Old February 10, 2013, 01:11 AM   #63
michael t

Quote:
Bersa sent me to a (not so) local authorized gunsmith. He had at least three other Bersa's in the back on his workbench awaiting repairs at the time I went to see him.

After some discussion, the gunsmith let slip that he was ready to tell Bersa to take a hike...that he was no longer going to service any of their firearms. He went on to say their pistols were constantly in his shop under warranty for breakage repairs or other issues. At any one time, he never had less than two in his shop for one thing or another. Broken Bersa were eating into his real money making work; hand tuning and customizing bolt rifles, 1911's, S&W and Colt revolvers.
I heard a story like this once only was at gun club in AZ . Different board name but same basic story

So tell me what warrenty center was it

Bersa/Eagle Imports has a list of warrenty centers and they go down list . They don't show favor to any one .

Iam sorry your story doesn't fit .In what I know from working with the people at Eagle for nearly 10 years now.

The pistol would have been fixed . At present I own bersachat.com and befor that bersatalk. I know the people at Eagle and some of the warrenty people. They stand behind the warrenty.

Last edited by michael t; February 10, 2013 at 01:22 AM.
Old February 10, 2013, 08:52 AM   #64
OEF-Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty View Post
Bersas are not lower end...just lower cost. They don't have huge advertising budgets or overhead.

Awesome firearms...period.
Agreed, if I didn't trust the Thunder .380 I wouldn't have given one to my wife as her every day carry. They are well made reliable and easy to shoot. She was putting all the rounds in an 8" target from 10 yards on day one.

She had only shot a pistol once before when she was a little girl. After some safe handling and proper form/grip instruction and lots of scenario practice, I now know she is able to put up a fight.

Edited to add: Never a hiccup with any ammo we tried. We have had this gun for 6 years and I know it's easily had 700 rounds through it though honestly I haven't kept count. I do know we have shot up a 500 count bag of bullets I got from Midway and loaded up plus several boxes of different sd rounds we bought to try out. We settled on Hornady critical defense.

Last edited by OEF-Vet; February 10, 2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old February 10, 2013, 10:08 AM   #65
UtahHunting

Quote:
Agreed, if I didn't trust the Thunder .380 I wouldn't have given one to my wife as her every day carry. They are well made reliable and easy to shoot.
My thoughts exactly. The Thunder .380 has been my wife's carry weapon for over 4 years now. We have shot every type of ammo including steel cased tulammo without any problems. She like the gun so much she bought the same model in .22 caliber.

I have nothing bad to say about Bersa. The only downside if there is one at all is the spare mags are a bit pricey but don't let that keep you away. These guns are an excellent value. Reliable at a decent price.
Old February 10, 2013, 10:51 AM   #66
Kreyzhorse

Just an update to my original post, but my buddy was never actually able to find a Bersa locally. Shops that were normally well stocked had no idea when they would actually get another shipment in.

Rather than wait, he finally found a shop that had a fresh shipment of Rugers arrive and he jumped on a LC9. The shop received 13 guns and they were all literally sold within the first 3 minutes on the shelf.

The store opened at 10am and word was out that they had received a shipment the night before. The shop literally had a line of people outside the door waiting for them to open. My buddy arrived at 10:02 and bought the last gun. Crazy times.
Old February 10, 2013, 02:15 PM   #67
lee n. field

Quote:
Just an update to my original post, but my buddy was never actually able to find a Bersa locally.
Life in this particular crazy period. Right now, I wouldn't lay my hopes on getting a single particular make and model. Rather, take what you can find to fill whatever niche you're trying to fill.

In sane times, around here, I see Bersa .380s decently available, but the only Ultra Carry I've ever seen is the one I bought second hand.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "