The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 21, 2010, 02:19 PM   #1
Fingers McGee

New Toy

Latest acquisition, blank cylinder Uberti L&R made in 2007.

Now have 2. Other one is from 1977. Both of them get shipped off to the gunsmith to get 6 more bolt cuts on each cylinder, defarbed, and remarked like this original Augusta revolver from 1864.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old April 21, 2010, 03:39 PM   #2
Doc Hoy

FM

Sweeet!
Old April 21, 2010, 05:09 PM   #3
bedbugbilly

Ahhhhh . . . Fingers . . . I'm pretty sure that they are illegal to possess in the fine state of Missouri . . . . so you'd better box 'em up and ship them directly to me for safe keeping immediately . . . we wouldn't want you to get in trouble for having 'em!

Nice looking pistols! Excuse me while I go wipe the drool off of my chin!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old April 21, 2010, 05:55 PM   #4
Fingers McGee

No BBB, I got spechal permission to have em since my GGGrandfather was in 3rd Texas Cavalry.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old April 21, 2010, 09:20 PM   #5
ClemBert

A beauty! Congrats!!!
Old April 21, 2010, 09:58 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

I'm curious Fingers . . . . . do you see any noticible differences in these compared to the '51 Navy? By that, I mean any little minute difference that you would notice if you had one of these and a '51 Navy in your hand and you fired them? I guess I'm talking about the 'function" of 'em. I know the obvious - round barrel versus octogon, etc. Just curious. I have a love affair with the '51 Navy but these really appeal to me for some reason - probably because of their history and well as their resemblence to the Navy. Don't know if I've asked this very clearly but I think you'll understand what I'm talking about.

By the way - you're right - you automatically get a "pass card" on possessing these - your g-g-granddaddy earned that right for you! Thanks!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old April 21, 2010, 10:29 PM   #7
Fingers McGee

BBB,
The only difference I can see is cosmetic - round barrel vs octagonal. I dont have a scale to compare weights; but just hefting one of each I don't notice any appreciable difference. Kinda like the '51 vs '61 Navy. I've always loved the '51; great balance, natural point shooter, looks good - but, I shoot a pair of '61s all the time now. They balance and point just like a '51, they just look sexier. I'm hoping that once I get these L&Rs worked over & tuned for SASS matches, they'll be as good as my '51s and '61s.
Old April 21, 2010, 11:28 PM   #8
CajunPowder

Excellent close up photo

Fingers:

That's an excellent close up where the cylinder meets the forcing cone, (the flash gap). If I ever got one of those I would hold the replica to that tolerance!

I can see the tiny fissures and metal fatigue at the end of the cylinder now THAT is some sweet history.

If ya ever sell it, be sure an tell me who ya sold it to, when he goes to work, if he has dogs, what kind of alarm he has ... you know ... the USUAL!
Old April 22, 2010, 01:59 AM   #9
azsixgun

Beautiful Uberti!

Now I've got to ask, why the twelve bolt cuts? Never saw that before...
Old April 22, 2010, 08:07 AM   #10
madcratebuilder

Quote:
They are used as safety notches.

That going to be a nice set when you get them done.
Old April 22, 2010, 04:19 PM   #11
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azsixgun
As MCB said, they are safety notches. The CH Rigdon and Rigdon & Ansley revolvers were based on the Manhattan revolver which had 12 bolt cuts. Instead of a notched hammer and pins on the back of the cylinder, Manhattan got a patent for an improved safety system by using 12 bolt stops. Was easier cut 12 notches - since you were cutting 6 anyhow - that it was to add an extra step in the manufactring process for the hammer and cylinder to cut the notch and add the pins. Obviously, it didn't catch on.

CajunPowder,

I wish the original was mine. It's a picture of one I got off of an auction site.

FM

Last edited by Fingers McGee; April 22, 2010 at 04:28 PM.