The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 8, 2010, 02:00 PM   #1
doctorj77

Winchester Model 77 wont fire

I recently acquired a model 77. Looks to be in really nice shape for its age for $150. Seemed like a fair deal. Well first off, when I pull the bolt open, and if the mag is inserted, the bolt will hold open. I thought these models weren't supposed to do that. Hence why they had a bolt retaining pin just forward of the ejection port.

Anyway, when the clip is full, the bolt doesn't hang up on the clip. But it was jamming upon feeding. So I played with the feed-lips on the mag, and got it cycling manually without issue. But then I noticed it occasionally wouldn't eject an empty. Now I'm thinking this is primarily cause I'm hand cycling.

But when I went to fire it, "CLICK". Nothing happened. So I took it apart completely. I really like the simplicity of this rifle. I looked up a diagram on Numrich, and I noticed that the timing rod was missing the spring, retainer, and retainer clip. Plus, when I turned the receiver upside down, it looked like a little piece of metal came out, and appears it came off the timing rod.

So I ordered those parts, including another timing rod from Numrich. My question is, what does the timing rod do exaclty? And without the spring/retainer what effect would it have on the operation? I'm sure it has everything to do with not firing, I can see the firing pin striking through the hole. But its like the bolt isn't coming all the way forward to the chamber.

Thoughts?
Old February 9, 2010, 09:27 AM   #2
doctorj77

Just to illustrate what I'm talking about, this picture shows the items missing from the timing rod

timing rod spring
timing rod collar sleeve
timing rod collar retainer