The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 12, 2013, 10:07 PM   #1
jaughtman

Loaned out the BHP this weekend....

So, I was at the range with a friend this weekend and was really only going to shoot the new Garand I got a week ago. I took my BHP as the only pistol with me. My friend went only with pistols and I loaned him out the BHP while he was on the "pistol only" section of the range. He came back and said "hey, shoot my P229 and tell me what you think". So I shot it and put 3 out of 5 in the X ring at 10 yards, then swaped to the BHP and put 5 out of 5 in it. Then handed it to him and HE put 5 out of 5 in the X ring, and only a couple from the Sig in the X ring. He said "must be the thiner front sight on the BHP because the Sig is a much more expensive gun". Yeah, that must be it.....LOL

J
Old March 12, 2013, 11:36 PM   #2
predecessor

Love the BHP! The balance is incredible and the trigger if smithed correctly can be golden. I own 3 Hi-Powers and 0 Sigs if that tells you how I feel about the two

But NIB stock Hi-Powers run $850 nowadays and after the trigger work you are looking at over a grand to get running with a BHP. So price point is about the same nowadays.
Old March 13, 2013, 08:08 AM   #3
jonnyc

They are sweet. I have 7 HPs and no Sigs. I don't see that changing any time soon..........except for maybe adding another HP or two.
Old March 13, 2013, 08:14 AM   #4
BerdanSS

Gun dealer told me one time "sigs are the Cadillac of firearms" yessir.........a broke down over rated hoopdie they are

Gotta love the HI power.
Old March 13, 2013, 08:28 AM   #5
Tactical Jackalope

Love my High-Powers. Awesome little range guns

Accurate as can be from the factory!
Old March 13, 2013, 08:32 AM   #6
ScottRiqui

How much do the BHP triggers improve with use? I only have a few hundred rounds through mine so far, but I want to wait until everything's "broken in" before I consider taking it to a smith to have the trigger massaged.
Old March 13, 2013, 08:39 AM   #7
Tactical Jackalope

They're good just the way they are. I don't think they need a trigger job really. Unless you personally want one.

As for how long? I'm not quite sure. Mine have been great this whole time. But I haven't shot more than 1,000 out of each of them.
Old March 13, 2013, 09:18 AM   #8
chewie146

The hi-power has a strange way to trip the sear, and that is one of the few complaints about the design. It has to do with the mag disconnect.
Old March 13, 2013, 09:30 AM   #9
Tactical Jackalope

^ yeah..never liked that in a defense firearm. Then again, I don't like the external safety in one either. Which is why my BHP's are range guns.

I heard that it's easily changed though. So that the hammer can be brought forward and the gun can be fired when the magazine isn't inserted. I just don't see a point in doing that to one of my range guns.
Old March 13, 2013, 11:44 PM   #10
IMightBeWrong

SIGs and BHPs are both fine guns, but in different ways. Either one will hammer nails in the right hands, but the BHP is a more refined weapon in my opinion with a nicer feel in hand and a far nicer trigger. SIGs come across as utilitarian weapons in my eyes suitable for modern military and law enforcement. When I feel like going big I often carry my P226 IWB running 18rd Mec-Gar mags that fit flush. That's a lot of firepower.
Old March 14, 2013, 12:49 AM   #11
chris in va

Come to think of it, I see very few Sigs at our matches. My 220 was a terrible competition gun, despite trying it a few times.
Old March 14, 2013, 01:25 PM   #12
Chesster

Never bought a new BR/FN HP. Always found great deals used from those who traded in on the latest wondernine. Have bought a new FM or two. The MKII and T series are my favorites.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old March 15, 2013, 08:18 AM   #13
Pilot

My totally stock, 1994 Browning Hi Power Silver Chrome 9MM, complete with gold "pimp" trigger is my most accurate centerfire handgun, and I have Sigs, CZ's, HK's, Berettas, etc. They are wonderful pistols, somewhat lost in the age of Tupperware, but still relevant for home defense, range and carry.
Old March 15, 2013, 08:59 AM   #14
Mr Budha

As someone who is relatively new to firearms, any suggestions about acquiring a Hi Power?
Old March 15, 2013, 09:39 AM   #15
predecessor

As with ever other current production pistol, there are none available from distributors at this time. Hi-Power production and importation is relatively small to begin with so finding a new Mark III at a dealer near you will prove extremely difficult. However, there are plenty of them available on the auction sites. Find one you like and you will be singing it's praises on this board in no time!
Old March 15, 2013, 07:16 PM   #16
WIN1886

While I love my Browning High Power.....the stock trigger pull on mine is not that great and I do get bit in the web between my thumb and finger by the hammer once in awhile when cycling the action ! These issues can both be resolved and having removed the magazine disconnect helped somewhat with the gritty & hard trigger pull ! As for accuracy , it will group very well for self defense use but I have .22 caliber and .45 acp match semi-auto pistols that will consistently group way better than the BHP will ! The BHP is a very well made , high quality service pistol.....that's how I see it !
Old March 15, 2013, 08:52 PM   #17
WVsig

Quote:
As someone who is relatively new to firearms, any suggestions about acquiring a Hi Power?
Buy one used...

They can be had for $600 or less if you are patient.