The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 17, 2009, 11:42 PM   #1
Wrothgar

How bout this holster?

For an XD 40SC? I know its cheap, but that's what I'm looking for. I'm taking my CHL class this weekend. Is there a big difference between this cheap IWB holster and a more expensive one?
Old August 17, 2009, 11:51 PM   #2
javabum

for 10 bucks its worth a shot without spending a fortune.
but yes there are better out there....
but you need to find what works for "you".no one can answer whats best for anyone.
BTW,good luck in the class.ask lots of questions...its the best way to get the answers you seek.

NRA Life member
Old August 18, 2009, 06:47 AM   #3
Kreyzhorse

There is likely a reason it's cheap, that's because its cheaply made.

Not to say it won't work for you, but you'll find that for a few bucks more, you'll find a holster that will work well for you and hold up much longer.

I'd look at www.donhume.com as a good place to start. They make good leather holsters that will hold up and retain your gun better and are priced fairly. I mentioned that Don Hume is a good place to start because most of us have a box full of holsters that just didn't work for us for one reason or another.

Additionally, don't forget that if you start carrying, a good leather gun belt really makes a difference in carrying and concealing your gun. Trust me, you don't want to be constantly adjusting a sagging gun belt.
Old August 18, 2009, 10:05 AM   #4
eppler

I carry an hk usp 45 compact and have holsters that cost 150.00 to 17.00 dollars and the best one is the cheapest it is made by elite. Also carry my hk tactical 45 in one.

heres a link

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...Fbch_pants.jpg

Fountain firearms sells them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bch.jpg (13.5 KB, 18 views)
Old August 22, 2009, 08:19 PM   #5
Peter Weber

I have the AceCase IWB tuckable holster for a Kel-Tek. First off, it's made roomy and generic enough to accept the gun with the Lazer. It fits well, and I eventually forget it's there. The gun fits well, and doesn't shift or come out.

Now, the bad news. I have difficulty re-holstering after drawing the gun, unless I remove the holster from my waistband and re-insert the gun before re-attaching the holster. Since I'm a rather newbie to carrying a hand gun, I haven't a clue if that's normal or not. For me, it doesn't seem to be a problem ... so far. If I ever need the gun, putting it away, isn't my primary concern.

One more bit of advice ... when buying from "Cheaper than Dirt", look to get more than just the holster. I paid $17.00 in shipping for a $9.95 holster because I wasn't listening to the rep. Next time, I loaded up to make the shipping worth while.