The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 3, 2015, 11:30 AM   #1
Dragunfire

A good walking around gun.

I'm new to this forum but have visited it a lot and I am always reading up about guns.

The reason for my post and joining now is a question I have and wanting some opinions. I go out walking around a lot on our land a lot, especially at night so there are always critters. I am a big fan of a bolt action and That's where I want to stay. I want something smaller, like carbine size or a scout. Right now I usually take my CZ bolt in .22 or my Remington 770 in .243. I want something easy to carry and that won't get in the way for crossing fences or going through brush. I also want it in 5.56 since I have an ar-15 in the same caliber and I'm a fan of that caliber, it will do everything I want it to, from shooting armadillos, skunks, possums and the possible coyote, etc.

Now I am just wanting some opinions on what you guys think or what else might be out there I haven't considered. I have been looking at the CZ 527 in 5.56 or the Mossberg MVP Patrol in 5.56.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old February 3, 2015, 11:50 AM   #2
Ruger480

Have you considered a handgun? It sounds closer to what your looking for than a long gun.

I know you want something in 5.56 to compliment your AR but honestly, if you already have one of those, its going to be tough to beat.

I'm guessing your down south so snakes may also be on the list as well.
Frankly, I think you'd be best suited with a revolver in .357 mag. S&W 626 or a Ruger gp100. This gives you the option to load snake shot, 38 spc rounds or 357 for larger creatures.

Last edited by Ruger480; February 3, 2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old February 3, 2015, 11:52 AM   #3
603Country

I had a Ruger Compact that was great for walking around, and my Ruger Hawkeye in 223, which is SS/syn is quite light and easy to tote around. I'm going to a shorter barrel on the Hawkeye for a little less weight.

As far as light and handy, that Ruger Compact is hard to beat.
Old February 3, 2015, 12:01 PM   #4
precision_shooter

I vote CZ 527.

I have the Mossberg MVP Patrol and the CZ 527 in 7.62x39.
The CZ is quite a bit lighter than the MVP and has a better trigger. Not that the MVP trigger is bad, it's not.

Ease of mounting optics goes to the MVP since it comes with a picatinny base and can use any standard weaver style rings. The CZ uses proprietary rings or you can do like I did and by a base that converts it to Picatinny to use any rings you want.

Accuracy is almost a wash between the 2, with a slight edge to CZ.

The factory sights are better on the CZ. The front FO sight on the Mossberg is too large IMO.

CZ has the better action - Mini Mauser. The Mossberg, while it works and doesn't bind, is a little rough.

Fit and Finish definitely go to CZ. Nice Blued finish compared to the Parkerized finish on the Mossberg.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old February 3, 2015, 12:06 PM   #5
Old Stony

I recently bought a Ruger scout rifle in .308 to use for hog hunting at night. Just waiting for the rings to mount my night scope. I have been working up a load for it, and it has really surprised me how accurate it is with that stubby little barrel. I just got a second one yesterday in .223 that is going to end up with my buddy, but I expect it to a surprise too....given the great performance of the .308.
I took off the forward rail and put plugs in the screw holes. They come with regular Ruger rings to mount a conventional scope as well.
Old February 3, 2015, 12:11 PM   #6
Dragunfire

I have considered but a lot of the shots I take are upwards of 75 yards. I do carry a Ruger Security Six and it works great for a lot of stuff.

As far as using my AR, I just love taking a bolt action out and I also want dependable accuracy at further distance than I can get out of my AR. And I live in Oklahoma so yes, snakes can be a problem

Thanks for the opinion.
Old February 3, 2015, 12:29 PM   #7
Mosin-Marauder

Ruger American Ranch sounds good. Takes 5.56/.223. Threaded Barrel, Stainless bolt, Synthetic Stock. Detachable Mag. Pretty handy little gun due to it's shortish barrel.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old February 3, 2015, 12:46 PM   #8
Panfisher

Handle several short compact bolt guns and pick the one you like best. Dont rule out a Handi rifle either unless you are set on a bolt fun. As for using the AR which would be my choice if you aren't gerring enough accuracy at under 100 yards something is amiss. My AR is one of my more accurate rifles. 10 round mags make it more ergonomic to carry around.
Old February 3, 2015, 01:14 PM   #9
Dragunfire

I haven't even seen the Ruger American in the ranch version. It looks good and is the size I want. I'll have to look it over some more but from just a quick search I couldn't find any for sale. Odd.

My AR is accurate enough atb100 yards, I should be more clear about that. I just love shooting a bolt action rifle, it feels good in my hands and there's just something about working the action on a bolt gun feels good. I do love my CZ .22, its just such an excellent gun and extremely accurate. I had a Mossberg MVP in the Varmint edition but its to much gun to carry around all the time. Other than the weight of the thing and length, it was a blast to shoot, especially with a 25 round magazine in it.
Old February 3, 2015, 03:04 PM   #10
chris in va

If you go the 527 5.56 route, be sure to get the latest 1:9" twist version. I'm looking to get one myself, to compliment my x39 version.
Old February 3, 2015, 03:19 PM   #11
Doyle

There is also the new Savage Hog Hunter that comes in .308 and .223 with a relatively short barrel.
Old February 3, 2015, 03:44 PM   #12
CowTowner

I have 2 walking around guns. A Ruger Blackhawk in .41 Rem Mag and a Marlin 1894 FG chambered in the same caliber. It just depends on where I'm walking and my mood for the day which one gets carried. Sometimes, both!
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old February 3, 2015, 04:25 PM   #13
zachattack2

I think you should get the Mossberg MVP Patrol. This is a very high quality gun and perfect for what you want it for.

With it's 16.25 inch barrel and 32.25 inch overall length it's perfect for in the woods, climbing through bushes and over fences.And you can put an amazing 11 rounds in the mag.

The .223/5.56mm is a perfect caliber for what you want. It is very powerful and is good for long range if you ever needed it. Ammo is dirt cheap, you can buy surplus ammo for $4.95 a box and the better stuff for $10 a box.

Sincerely,
Zach
Old February 3, 2015, 05:31 PM   #14
Dragunfire

Chris, I had looked at them and that's the route I would go of I go CZ. I love mine, its such an excellent gun. I also have I CZ 75B in 40 caliber. Awesome handgun.

Doyle, I like savage as well, the Stevens 200 is also one of my favorite rifles. Did not know about the hog hunter, will have to research. Thank you.

Cowtowner, I've never had a gun with that caliber, is ammo hard to get ahold of? I'm assuming its pricey.

Zach, I agree with you on the MVP patrol being a perfect fit, especially in 5.56. I'm just having a tough time deciding because I've had an MVP before and really liked it but also I have a CZ in 22 and love the accuracy and dependability of it. I just think the MVP is such a good fit because unlike the CZ's polished walnut (beautiful) stock, I wouldn't worry about scuffing up the MVP.
Old February 3, 2015, 05:53 PM   #15
CowTowner

Quote:
Cowtowner, I've never had a gun with that caliber, is ammo hard to get ahold of? I'm assuming its pricey.
It isn't a real "popular" caliber.
First, there's no such thing as a .41 Special that the .41 Rem Mag was based on. Elmer Keith designed it to be a magnum.
Second, ammo can be found for it. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...121&c=95&s=979
Is it cheap? Nope. That's why I load my own.
Third, it do kick a bit, it do.

But IMHO, it shoots flatter and hits darn near as hard as a .44 Magnum without as much felt recoil.
It's a great round. And if you really want to knock the snot out of something, it will do it. These help:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/673...oint-box-of-20
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old February 3, 2015, 09:18 PM   #16
bamaranger

walkabout rifle

You are looking for a rifle "....as light and no more cumbersome than a walking stick...", which was Jeff Cooper's description of his scout rifles. That said, a conventionally configured bolt rifle is what you seem to be leaning towards, and I will not say anything more to sway you towards a scout. And honestly, though I like scouts, I find I don't need .308 horsepower for much of anything I do besides deer.

I will mention that any rifle with a healthy detatchable box mag, like the MVP, seems to have that box right at the balance point, where I want to grasp the rifle in a simple, one handed trail carry. And that big box seems to be clunky and awkwards/in the way a bit of the time too! So get ahold of an MVP and see if it indeed will be as simple to carry as you want.

As far as tidy, conventional bolts go, don't rule out a Rem Model 7, and the YZ/ Interarms/Charles Daley/Rem 798 Mini Mauser bunch. Same rifle, different importers. I used to use a Marlin 94-.357 as my walkaround long gun, but unscoped, (w/ peep) I now find it hard to shoot as well as I'd like (55+ eyes). My .223 MiniMauser has filled the role admireably. And I can shoot it farther, and more accurately than I ever could the lever carbine, much as I liked that traditional number.
Old February 3, 2015, 10:05 PM   #17
bamaranger

while I'm at it

Sorry Doyle, gotta contradict you on this one. And I like the Hog Rifle from Savage.

I hunt mine here on whitetails. It is simple, durable and accurate. The accu-trig makes it easier to shoot well. The blind magazine is great, no mag to lose. Ideal for out of a shoot house, blind, treestand (short hike to it) and in/out of the truck.

It's short, medium heavy barrel is handy, would handle a suppressor well, but I would not call it light, though its "short and stout" con figuration makes it seem lighter than it is....for a bit. And I bet the version in .223 is even a bit heavier than my .308, more metal in the barrel, smaller bore.
Old February 3, 2015, 10:47 PM   #18
jaysouth

This is "lil tooter"

H&R Topper in 30-30 with 16 1/2" bbl.

When 'walking' I carry 170 cast loads at 2,000 fps for big critters. And should the need arise, I have a 120gr. cast load at 1,000 fps for little critters.

Old February 4, 2015, 07:48 AM   #19
Picher

One of my favorite walkabout rifles is my Tikka T3 Lite in .243 Win. It carries very well at 7.4 lbs with a 3-9x Leupold VX2. Barrel is 22", but could be shortened, as necessary. Accuracy is sub 1/2 MOA with handloads.

A T3 Lite, Stainless/Synthetic in either .223 or .243 would be fantastic.
Old February 4, 2015, 08:22 AM   #20
DPris
Member Emeritus

I've had the Savage Hog Hunter, the Mossberg MVP Patrol, and the CZ 527 here.
Of the three, if you want quality, hands down the CZ 527.
It also does not have a long mag in the way for carrying.
Extremely handy little gun. All new ones now should have the 1/9 twist.

Second choice would be the Savage, light & accurate, no extruding mag.

Last would be the MVP. Quality's OK, just heavier & the mag is not hand-carry friendly.
Denis
Old February 4, 2015, 08:25 AM   #21
jimbob86

Quote:
I also want it in 5.56 since I have an ar-15 in the same caliber and I'm a fan of that caliber, it will do everything I want it to, from shooting armadillos, skunks, possums and the possible coyote, etc.
Other than "I want another gun.", why can't your AR be your "walking around gun?
Old February 4, 2015, 08:29 AM   #22
DPris
Member Emeritus

If you're talking about gun-in-hand walking, the AR is nowhere near as comfortable in hand for long periods.
Denis
Old February 4, 2015, 08:32 AM   #23
jimbob86

Quote:
If you're talking about gun-in-hand walking, the AR is nowhere near as comfortable in hand for long periods.
Some of us lived with Uncle Sugar's version for long periods ..... I had the full sized sized -a1 and -a2's .... an M-4gery feels like an old friend to my hand.
Old February 4, 2015, 08:42 AM   #24
Doyle

Bamaranger, you're right about the Savage Hog Hunter being heavier than it needs to be. I really question their logic in putting such a stout barrel on it.

Dragunfire - I've got the perfect rifle for you but it isn't going to be cheap. Remington just announced that they are bringing back a shorter version of the Model 7. It will be about the same size as the original model 7 (which is MY walking around rifle with an 18.5" bbl) but will have a lamanated stock.
Old February 4, 2015, 08:46 AM   #25
DPris
Member Emeritus

JB,
I carried a 16 (full-sized, not even an A1) just about daily at work for Sam for 4 years.
I repeat my earlier statement.

No AR variant fits the hand & carries as naturally as that little 527.
Period!
Denis

Tags
bolt action , carbine , scout