The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 7, 2010, 09:28 PM   #1
Fat White Boy

Calififornia Hog Hunt

My son and I got these 2 Boar near King City, California on Saturday, April 3. They each were in the 200 pound class. We both have model 70's. Mine is in .270 Win(130gr Barnes X bullets) with a 3-9X40 Nikon Buckmaster, his is in .300 Win Mag(180gr Barnes X bullets) with a 3-9X40 Leupold. Range was 135 yards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1549.jpg (251.6 KB, 160 views)
Old April 7, 2010, 09:42 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Nice to see ya'll both got one!
Both might be a good bit under 200# but that makes them both better eatin' hogs anyway...
The distance of the carry to the truck adds pounds every step...

When the carry is over 2 miles, a 60 pounder on the hook was a 400 pounder on the shoulders...
Brent
Old April 8, 2010, 01:31 AM   #3
Scorch

FWB, you did good! King City is the right place!
I think I should come visit right around suppertime sometime soon! Just one question: how come you made your son haul out the bigger one?
Old April 8, 2010, 11:23 AM   #4
Fat White Boy

The picture is deceiving. Actually, when we first saw them, we thought they were smaller but when we got up to them, they were bigger than they looked. And once again, the photo angle makes one look larger than the other. We were lucky, they were standing by a fence line and there was a trail we could get the truck on to get them. We used Nessen Schmidt Guide service. He has access to 100,000 acres of cattle ranches.
Old April 8, 2010, 12:21 PM   #5
taylorce1

Love to shoot some more pigs again. Just not too many in Colorado unless I go shoot my brothers! Nice job, like the .270 Win for pigs, that is what I used on my last pig shoot.
Old April 8, 2010, 04:11 PM   #6
GunsAreGood

Very nice haul. I need to get out and fill my pig tag before it expires in June I believe. Once again very nice and good work.

If guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns
Old April 8, 2010, 10:52 PM   #7
Fat White Boy

I have used that .270 to take 5 or 6 pigs. Even with 130gr bullets, it is very effective. This hunt was in a lead-free zone so we used Barnes X bullets. The guide doesn't like solid copper bullets. He says unless they hit bone, they just punch holes. In this case, he was right. Both shots were through and through. Fortunately, they were well placed, so the pigs went down right away.
Old April 10, 2010, 09:05 PM   #8
TXGunNut

My brother and I are going next weekend. Annual Feb hunt was cancelled due to snow. Been hunting with Bill for years. True gentleman and great guide as well. http://www.silvercloudranch.net/Frame-3.html
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old April 11, 2010, 12:48 AM   #9
Fat White Boy

Not meaning to rub it in, BUT...Well, maybe a little... I just picked up 50 pounds of Swiss Sausage, 20 pounds of loins/backstraps and about 40-50 pounds of trimmings from the guy who processed the two pigs we got last week. I will make breakfast sausage, Italian and hot links out of the trimmings. Good eats on the grill!
Old April 11, 2010, 01:00 AM   #10
TXGunNut

FWB, buy a meat grinder and learn how to package wild game! 'Net is full of good sausage recipes and tips. You'll pay for the equipment in 2 critters or less. I can bone out critters in the class of your pics in under two hours, all it takes is a good knife or two. Grinding sausage and adding spices is a wonderful adventure and you'll soon find a "signature" blend or two. When you DIY, you control the quality!
Old April 11, 2010, 11:55 PM   #11
Fat White Boy

I already have all that. The Swiss sausage the man in King City makes is famous in the area. I do own a grinder/stuffer and I do make my own sausage. My wife likes my breakfast sausage, my son likes my hot links and I like a couple of others that I make. That's why I had everything but the loins and ribs deboned and packed in 5 pound bags. I will mix it with the same amount of commercial pork to make sausage...Good stuff!
Old April 17, 2010, 09:53 AM   #12
TXGunNut

Not familiar with Swiss sausage. Care to enlighten us?
Trip this weekend got cancelled due to heavy-duty storms in TX panhandle so main ingredient still on the hoof, for now.
Old April 17, 2010, 05:04 PM   #13
Fat White Boy

The man's name is Leno Maninni in King City, Cal. He processes most of the pigs taken by the guide service we use, Nessen Schmidt Guide Service. Leno mixes the wild pork with an equal amount of store bought pork. The wild pork is lean so he adds the store bought for juice.

It has Garlic, salt, pepper, red wine and a couple of other spices, I didn't see when he made the mix. He uses natural casings, making 4-5 oz links. He won't hand out the recipe and I didn't ask, out of respect. Leno refuses to go commercial with it despite numerous requests from local stores. I tasted it about 20 years ago when I first hunted with Nessen. I didn't use him for a few years, two years ago, I started going with him again. I was more than pleased when I saw Leno...

Last edited by Fat White Boy; April 17, 2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old April 17, 2010, 08:03 PM   #14
TXGunNut

Thanks, FWB. Sounds like you found one of life's little treasures.
Old April 18, 2010, 12:18 AM   #15
rdoggsilva

Pig hunting is the only thing I miss about California. Use to do alot of it on the central coast. Here in Utah they are few and far between.