The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 4, 2006, 08:15 PM   #1
andrewd523

Check This Out!

I figured I would start my first thread with something that would catch others attention. I am relatively new to shooting, but am learning at a cheetah's pace. I have a remington 870 Express Super Mag synthetic. I was looking to get a Knoxx SpecOps Stock http://www.knoxx.com/kSTORE/viewProd...fb3e000ea8ec88

Is this something good to start with? I also have a 20" Hastings slug barrel. I love to shoot clays when I can not hunt. Are these two additions I have good starts? Anything you would recommend? I am also getting a red dot site. I have read many Dave McC threads, and it seems like he knows his stuff!

I have been reading all the shotgun threads, and have been nothing short of being impressed. If you think I am going about my setup the wrong way let me know, the primary use of this gun will be for deer (slug barrel), clays, birds, etc... If you think I am in the right direction please leave one as well.

Have a great up and rapidly approaching holiday!
Old December 4, 2006, 08:19 PM   #2
Maser

As a new shooter, anything that helps reduce recoil and eliminates possible flinching which can lead to bad accuracy or in a shotguns case, bad leading in clay targets.
Old December 4, 2006, 09:47 PM   #3
'75Scout

I have the CompStock which absorbs about half as much recoil and its a great product. Remington likes the Spec-Ops stock so much they are starting to equip them from the factory with them. The videos aren't fake. And if you plan on shooting anything other than light bird shot you will be glad you purchased it.
Old December 4, 2006, 11:08 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Before buying anything, get a mess of light loads and get your form down. A few thousand rounds from now, you'll have a better idea of what is needed and what is not.

Re the Knoxx stuff, I've no personal experience with them. I've also no beef with using technology to supplement expertise.

And thanks for the compliment.....
Old December 5, 2006, 11:08 PM   #5
andrewd523

I ordered my SpecOps stock today. Well to put myself on a list, they are backordered. So in the meantime I will take your advice Dave, and just keep on shooting. The reason I got the stock was so I would be able to shoot more. I can't shoot more than 60 3" shells, and my arm is DEAD. So I figured this would allow me to shoot a whole lot more than that! Thanks for all of you who responded to my first thread, you will be seeing a lot more of me! Thanks
Old December 6, 2006, 09:04 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I can go to the range, shoot a couple hundred 7/8 oz loads through a 7 lb bird gun, and not be tender after. There's no big red S on my chest.

3" loads are for specific tasks, mostly waterfowl and turkey. I shot 10-12K shells in the last two years. Maybe 20 of them were maggie numbs. Most of the rest were 7/8 oz creampuffs.

By using mags at this point, you're handicapping yourself. They are for later and for seldom use.