The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 19, 2005, 05:10 PM   #1
Old Dragoon

Reloading question..

Is there a difference between Large Pistol Primers and Large Rifle Primers for standard loads?? I have almost 1000 Winchester large Rifle Primers. Outside the box and on their own, they appear to be the same size as Large Pistol Primers, Dia, Depth ??? Can these be used in Large Pistol Brass? Too Hot or the same??
Old December 19, 2005, 05:21 PM   #2
Oldelm

Howdy Old Dragoon,

"Rifle primers use tougher cups than pistol primers because the firing pin blow of rifles is usually harder than the firing pin blow of pistols. Rifle primers also contain more priming compound than pistol primers, since rifle cartridges typically contain more powder than pistol cartridges."......

http://www.chuckhawks.com/primers.htm

Hope that helps.......oldelm
Old December 19, 2005, 05:30 PM   #3
Old Dragoon

Yep. it helps. I won't need Pisto primers for a little while. Got 2000 cases primed and waiting to be loaded. so I'll just set on these LRP's and use them with rifle cartridges.

Thanks.
Old December 28, 2005, 04:37 AM   #4
Hafoc

By the way, the softer cup on the pistol primer is a good thing. It allows the primer to deform under lower pressure than it would take for a rifle primer. That's good for a gas seal when the cartridge fires.

I've read of using small rifle primers in some high intensity handgun loads, things like 9x23 Winchester or some of the competition .38 Supers. I gather that it's not so much that the pistol won't fire the rifle primer, although that could happen too. But if the primer is too hard, it won't deform enough and it will push back when you fire.
Old December 28, 2005, 05:59 AM   #5
Ozzieman

I have also used rifle primers on hand guns but

Only in Contenders.
The larger mag cal like 44 when the loads were WAY up there, I diddnt like the way the primers looked so I tried rifle primers.
The gun liked them and I had no problems, being harder I diddnt get the flatening of the primers and the dimple in the primer diddnt show the stress that I got with hand gun primers.
I will add that these were very high pressure loads and would probably be unsafe in a wheel gun.
But MAN were they impressive.