The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 4, 2014, 05:39 PM   #1
pathdoc

Out in the cold!

For reasons connected with child safety, I keep my guns and all the reloading paraphernalia out in a shed rather than in the house. With a bleak winter setting in, said shed is becoming somewhat inhospitable in the evenings (hell, at any time), and the thought of installing some heating comes strongly to mind.

I'm seeking advice on what's both best and what's NOT advisable. Clearly anything with a naked flame is a no-go; with powders and other flammable stuff about, I just don't want to take the chance. I'd considered an electrically powered oil heater because it would just gently radiate heat & take the chill out of the air without exposed elements or anything potentially hazardous like that.

Most of what's in the stores is fan-driven heaters which blow a stream of hot air, but I'm not keen on them in case they create draughts which mess with the powder scale, although if I pointed the fan away from the loading bench it might work.

One of these days I'm going to get the shed reworked and possibly even install a rangehood for indoor lead-bullet moulding work (a somewhat different topic), but until then I'm just seeking a stop-gap.

Advice, anyone?
Old January 4, 2014, 06:28 PM   #2
4EVERM-14

Consider looking at the industrial supply companies.[Mc Master -Carr, MSC, Grainger] They offer a number of unit heaters with a variety of heating sources and mounting options. Gas, electric, propane. A thermostat control can keep the chill out and can be increased when you decide to work in the room.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old January 4, 2014, 06:55 PM   #3
Gunplummer

I don't know how big your shed is, but I have been using a kerosene heater in my basement for extra heat for years. I keep a pan of water on top and it keeps the heat from getting the area above it too hot. I never have more than one can of powder on the bench at one time anyway-too easy to mix powders that way. You are not working with dynamite. Just be clean.
Old January 4, 2014, 07:28 PM   #4
pathdoc

Thanks for advice so far. Electric is probably best as the shed isn't hooked up for anything but that, and will certainly be the least complicated option.

While I consider myself "experienced' in terms of having put together quite a few hundred rounds of rifle & shotgun ammo with no harm done, part of me knows I'm really not much more than a newbie - I'd rather assume the presence of great risks and ask/take things slow than forge bravely on and/or trust in my guardian angel (knowing that said angel is possibly doing double duty and may not always be there).
Old January 4, 2014, 07:58 PM   #5
Bill DeShivs

Oil-filled heaters work great.
Old January 4, 2014, 08:04 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...pace%2Bheaters

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...=space+heaters
Old January 5, 2014, 12:26 AM   #7
hoghunting

Quote:
Oil-filled heaters work great.
I agree with Bill as the electric oil filled heaters will do a very good job of taking the chill out of the shed. I've had one in my garage for years and it works perfectly.
Old January 5, 2014, 08:03 PM   #8
McShooty

Another vote for the oil filled, the radiator shaped ones. I have a Honeywell in my 10 x 12' gun room in my garage. I have it on 24/7 in the winter with never a problem. All my guns and my reloading bench are in this room. It is a comfy place to work on guns and reload.