The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 19, 2001, 09:31 PM   #1
ATTICUS

Did I miss a bargain?

I was at a gargage sale the other day and this older lady was selling a Winchester model 97, 12 gauge. The blueing was not good but it seemed to be in pretty good shape otherwise. The action was nice and tight as well. She was asking $365 but I'm sure she would have taken $20-$30 off for a serious buyer. I ran home and got the bluebook out and it listed the value at $350 or so for 50% blueing. I didn't go back to pick it up, but the next day I went to a gunshow and saw two for sale, similar condition, for close to $600 each. Waddya think...should I have bought it?
Old June 19, 2001, 11:18 PM   #2
PreserveFreedom

If there is any doubt, you did the right thing. Keep in mind, people tend to charge way more than they should at a gun show because of the convenience and the fact that people get all caught up in the commotion and pay more. The only advantage of a garage sale gun for an average price is that it is paperless.

Old June 20, 2001, 06:54 AM   #3
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Several years ago I got one that seemed OK. Live fire proved different. Several critical parts were worn and the cost to fix was too high. Sold it at a loss. You may have missed a good deal but you also may have missed losing a bunch of money.

Giz
Old June 20, 2001, 08:07 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Garage sale guns can be major bargains, or major pains. My Mom, long ago, was a yard sale fan and she picked up a "Little" shotgun for me. A 20 ga Savage/Fox double, it was. She showed it to me and asked what it was worth. I told her, "About 10 years with the Feds if they catch ya". OA length was about 20" and if loaded, someone might see the shells in the chambers from the muzzle end. I don't know the statute of limitations in such matters, but the thing's been buried in pieces for decades...

OTOH, a friend of Mom's picked up a cased S&W American in 44. Great condition, I believe she used it to pay for her kid's first year of college.

On this 97, I would have offered maybe $200, and figured I could get that much out of it for parts if it was borderline junk.
Old June 20, 2001, 08:08 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

And, ANY old firearm should be checked out by a competent smith before firing.....