The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 11, 2012, 02:44 PM   #1
willmc33

Good starting point in the Ar15 platform for around $1,000.00??

I am looking to get into an ARs style platform rifle and I know absolutely nothing about them so I needing to be schooled somewhat. I am wanting one of good quality and is basically good as is. I will possibly add electronic sights down the road or change stocks etc.. but I want one good to go as is. So Far I am leaning toward getting a Colt M4 Carbine. If I am missing something or there are better options for around the same price pleaselet me know. Thanks in advance for any help given/knowledge shared.
Old November 11, 2012, 02:48 PM   #2
customaquatics

why a colt? to me a PSA is better an there $750 here.
23 year old NRA member AKaholic #158907 , 1942 Ex-Sniper Izzy Mosin Nagant, 1970's Marlin 30-30, Remington 870 tatical, Charter Arms The Pink Lady 38 Special.
Old November 11, 2012, 02:52 PM   #3
Quentin2

Your thoughts on Colt are sound. Their 6920 and 6720 lightweight version are excellent choices for an M4gery. I'd also look at BCM's midlength ARs which are equal to Colt but offer the midlength gas system in a 16" barrel instead of Colt's carbine length gas.

The comment on PSA tends to be valid, they offer a lot for the money but I wouldn't go as far to say better than Colt. I have BCM, Daniel Defense and PSA and am impressed with what I got for a couple hundred less.
Old November 11, 2012, 03:25 PM   #4
Creeper

Quote:
Your thoughts on Colt are sound. BCM's midlength ARs which are equal to Colt but offer the midlength gas system in a 16" barrel instead of Colt's carbine length gas.
Either are excellent choices. Just to toss something new into the mix, I had an opportunity to shoot, disassemble and inspect a Scionics "Patrol Rifle I". I was pleasantly surprised with this 16" barrel /mid-length gas system rifle. I found the sample to be quite accurate and very well built. NP3 Bolt carrier, Magpul furniture and BUIS, 5lb single stage trigger and all built to milspec. A bit more than a grand, but I think, in the increasingly deeper sea of ARs, worth taking a look.
Old November 11, 2012, 05:10 PM   #5
RT

http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail....er=COLT-LE6920
COLT-LE6920 Price $995.95