The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 9, 2014, 01:07 AM   #26
ninjarealist

After watching too many Hickok45 videos I'm less surprised by this than I should be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFd3kF6LHz4
Old December 9, 2014, 05:31 AM   #27
1stmar

If you can see the head of an uspsa target at 100 you have great vision
Old December 9, 2014, 06:40 AM   #28
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNS
Luck?

I really don't think so. He made the shot on the first try.
IMHO the fact that he did it on the first try simply reinforces the notion that it was a lucky shot. Even if one practices at 100 yards, the ability to score hits at 100 yards is heavily predicated on knowing the exact distance and having known reference points by which to judge the not-insignificant holdover. Here we have a police officer who almost certainly does NOT train with his duty sidearm at 100 yards, taking a shot at an unknown distance, and scoring a hit on the first shot. I respectfully submit that without luck, that's flat out impossible.
Old December 9, 2014, 07:46 AM   #29
RaySendero

Quote:
JWT wrote:

Skill?, luck?, or a bit of both....

JWT, MH, AB and jmr,

Not knowing the officer, My gut feel is "LUCK". However, I have a friend and shooting buddy that could make that shot consistently. So I know one could be trained and practice to that level.

He is an retired military combat pistol instructor - He taught special forces pistol for his last 4 yrs. He's an unbelievable shot - Could consistently hit the 200 yd rifle gong standing 2-hand more than most could hit it standing off hand with their scoped rifle. Many times at the range, I've seen him win a bet from an unbeliever who spoke too soon - "Oh No, that's not possible"!
Old December 9, 2014, 08:58 AM   #30
Skans

Quote:
Almost unbelievable to me. But my hat's off to him...
It's a conspiracy. There was second shooter hiding on a grassy knoll behind a picket fence.
Old December 9, 2014, 09:12 AM   #31
boltomatic

How about hitting a target 3/4 of a mile away traveling at a speed of 20mph?

http://tracking-point.com/precision-...tactical-stock

For the low price of $30,000!
Old December 9, 2014, 09:54 AM   #32
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
IMHO the fact that he did it on the first try simply reinforces the notion that it was a lucky shot. Even if one practices at 100 yards, the ability to score hits at 100 yards is heavily predicated on knowing the exact distance and having known reference points by which to judge the not-insignificant holdover. Here we have a police officer who almost certainly does NOT train with his duty sidearm at 100 yards, taking a shot at an unknown distance, and scoring a hit on the first shot. I respectfully submit that without luck, that's flat out impossible.
So basically, you are arguing from the position of ignorance about the officer's shooting abilities, what it takes to shoot 100 yards (and no, you don't need to know an "exact distance" to make such a hit at that approximate distance as noted), the officer's ability to assess shooting distance, and the officer's understanding of his local environment.

Okay, I respectfully understand your perspective.
Old December 9, 2014, 12:57 PM   #33
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNS
So basically, you are arguing from the position of ignorance about the officer's shooting abilities, what it takes to shoot 100 yards (and no, you don't need to know an "exact distance" to make such a hit at that approximate distance as noted), the officer's ability to assess shooting distance, and the officer's understanding of his local environment.

Okay, I respectfully understand your perspective.
You are correct on two out of four, and I respectfully submit that the fourth isn't a valid factor.
  1. Correct, I don't know the officer's shooting ability. Neither do you.
  2. Incorrect. I do know what it takes to shoot at 100 yards. Been there, done that. How about you?
  3. Correct, I do not know the officer's ability to correctly assess target distance away from a shooting range. Neither do you.
  4. ??? I don't see what the officer's "understanding of his local environment" has to do with making a first-shot hit at a distance of 312 feet -- one-handed, while holding onto two horses with the other hand.
Old December 9, 2014, 01:41 PM   #34
45_auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stmar
If you can see the head of an uspsa target at 100 you have great vision
The head of a USPSA target is 6" x 6" (well, actually 5.9" x 5.9").

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/939...rget-cardboard

Seems to me it would take some pretty sorry vision NOT to be able to see it at 100 yards.

A standard skeet clay pigeon is 4.3" in diameter, those are probably one of the most common targets on the 100 yard berm!

Last edited by 45_auto; December 9, 2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old December 9, 2014, 07:40 PM   #35
Rembrandt

Here's the story about LT Owen J. Bagget, a WWII Bomber Pilot who shot down a Jap Zero with four shots from his 1911.

http://www.guns.com/2011/09/07/how-a...-zero-fighter/
Old December 10, 2014, 02:45 PM   #36
STEINER

Remember the Mustang Ranch brothel in Nevada?
Twenty years ago the hired bouncer there pulled off a shot like this OP.

A professional boxer was beating one of the girls and the bouncer
took a shot from a very long distance. I don't know the distance but it
was a couple hundred feet or longer.
I think he used a short 38 revolver.
He killed the perp. Must have angled it at a forty five degree line.