The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 3, 2013, 01:43 PM   #26
AirForce2

7mm-08 Elk Which Bullet "NOT TO USE"

I did a test in appx 2003 at my friends house:
-Rem Model 7 Youth 7mm-08 w/18 inch barrel
-Fact Remington Core Lokt 140 gr
-Fact Fed Prem Nosler Partition 140 gr
-Fact Win silvertip 140 gr
Chrono was pretty close fps between loads

2 sep targets 4 rounds each at either 100 or 200 yds (can't remember but think was at 100 yds, sorry)
-dug out of the hard sand and corelokt's were missing way more bullet retained versus the nosl partition. I'd say with 4 of each brand in my hand of the brands the corelokt & silvertips had solid appx 40-50% bullet loss/fragmentation worse than the nosler partition which only lost appx 20%. The sand hill was soft for a couple inches, then was very hard pack gravely sand at 3 inches or deeper.

I've shot 3 avg size cows (not small & not the largest but good size) with my 7mm-08 since with nosler partition and from 40 yds on one, 200 yds on 2 others, one of the 200yd was a high neck shot dropped, another was 200 yds thru both ribs/lungs & full passthru.

The core lokt & win silvertip might kill them all, but your going to do better with premium bullets. If you dead center the primary leg bone on an elk, the cheaper bullets likely will never go thru the leg bone or cause a long chase with that, so keep that in mind. The elk shoulder blades & rib bones are nothing but the leg bones are pretty hard & thick. My gun/scope combos usually print 2 inch groups at 200 yds and I'd have not worries taking a 300-350 yd shot. I'm going to try the 150 gr accubond long rang bullets this year. Might give me the 140 gr speed with heavy bullet. At times I do carry my .270 WSM for a little more long distance comfort. I messed up my Rem model 7 youth gun a few years later by "free floating the stock" and didn't know it and after replacing the barrel bolt scope etc found free floating the stock really messed that gun up. Now have new 7mm-08 Ruger American Compact 7mm-08 with the Redfield Revenge 6-18X42 or 44 w/accurange and it's nice. 1st run has my 150 gr accubond LR, fed match prmr, varget 43 gr grouping good at 200

Tags
7mm08 , elk