The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 8, 2012, 12:56 PM   #1
azmark

Made my choice for hiking carry,etc.

I wanted a smaller, lighter gun to carry on hikes and was checking out small revolvers. Just for giggles I picked up a Sig P250 subcompact at the local PX. My search was over. It's heavier than a j-frame, but the trigger puts the Smith to shame. The grip frame is a little short as you would expect, but it's not a handicap at all like it is on a baby Glock. The shape and texture of the grip feels just right. I chose 9 mm because practicing with factory ammo is affordable, plus there are lots of different ammo choices out there.

Now I find myself wanting to get one of their 'Caliber Xchange' kits. I can basically have a second gun for $239. Caliber choices are 9 mm, .357 Sig, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP. I do like .45 ACP but would like opinions on the second caliber for overall use; hiking, possible predators (all kinds-I live a stone's throw from the Mexican border), and just general fun. I will get either a compact or full-size frame for the second configuration if that would affect your opinion.
Old December 8, 2012, 01:07 PM   #2
Hiker 1

I don't think you can go wrong with a .40
Old December 8, 2012, 01:10 PM   #3
Hiker 1

Are you carrying your piece on your pack belt?
Old December 8, 2012, 01:26 PM   #4
azmark

I'm going to get a shoulder holster no matter what. My body shape is such that anything I've worn on my belt pulls my pants down unless I cinch my belt uncomfortably tight. My hikes are short enough that I don't carry a pack.
Old December 8, 2012, 03:28 PM   #5
jasmith85

Quote:
possible predators (all kinds-I live a stone's throw from the Mexican border)
I would go with 45 ACP. I'd want the largest round I can get for chupacabra.

Seriously though, you might want to look into whether or not you can buy a 40 x-change kit then just buy a 357 Sig barrel. I have no experience with the p250 but if its like every other Sig that should be all it takes to change and would give you 2 extras calibers at a lower price than buying two of the kits.
Old December 8, 2012, 06:09 PM   #6
RC20

My choice would be 357 Sig capable and the first choice.

Go with the 124 and that pretty well gets you awfully close to 357 magnum.

Frankly I would not bother on a different caliber. The only one of the 9mm, 357 Sig, 40 and the 45 that gives a significant better performance, ie. penetration in some materials) is the 357 Sig.

You will fine yourself sticking with one caliber as you will want to know and shoot it well I suspect and the other barrel combo will go unused.

Nice thing on the 9mm and the 357 sig is they share bullets (if you reload)
Old December 8, 2012, 07:11 PM   #7
lamarw

I have the P250 in the full size .45 and the 9mm sub-comact like you. I also have a compact 9mm X-Change kit I will probaly sell if I ever get a round to it. You may want to buy the X-Grip for your pistol and a compact magazine. It eliminates the pinky overhang for some of us. It also provides you with three additional rounds with pretty much only the extra weight of the ammo. The magazine grip extension and compact mag are of little extra weight.

With the current low prices of P250s, I would say buy the entire new pistol as opposed to the X-Change unit in the other caliber.
Old December 8, 2012, 07:16 PM   #8
thedudeabides

As a hunting/hiking sidearm, I'd go either with 10mm or 45 ACP +P...and full size.

But I have bears to worry about.
Old December 8, 2012, 07:19 PM   #9
wpsdlrg

I have a P250 Compact....and I like it very much. An inexpensive, yet well made SD pistol. Great trigger (I don't give a c#&p what anyone says - it IS a great trigger).... and easy to learn. Very reliable and very accurate.

I have put about 850 rounds through my P250, with NOT ONE malfunction of any kind. I am even starting to load cast bullets for it..... and still no problems, even with the "dirtier" characteristics of cast loads.

You made a good choice. Enjoy.
Old December 8, 2012, 11:44 PM   #10
azmark

I decided to do a bit of research on the .357 Sig and trying to compare it with the .45. I don't particularly like the recoil characteristics of the .40 but the 45 doesn't bother me. Do you guys think the .357 Sig or the .45 would be more effective against a large animal if I had to shoot it? Chances are slim a wild animal would actually approach, but we do have wolves, mountain lions, and black bears here.
Old December 9, 2012, 01:03 AM   #11
Hiker 1

Pistols are never optimum against large animals but any caliber north of 9mm should suffice.

If you go with a shoulder holster, spend a little time practicing your draw. It's very easy to get tangled up.
Old December 9, 2012, 01:27 AM   #12
azmark

Thanks for the tip, Hiker. I have never used a shoulder holster.
Old December 9, 2012, 04:23 AM   #13
Rifleman1952

Azmark: Some of my all time favorite hikes were around Sedona and the Grand Canyon. I tend to be more concerned with two legged predators than the four legged variety, even when out in the wilderness. From that perspective, just choose the caliber you shoot best. When it comes to the type of dangerous game one might encounter in Arizona, I would prefer a .357 magnum revolver or a 10 mm semi-auto pistol; but I would probably choose the .357 sig if I were selecting a conversion barrel option for your new P250.
Old December 9, 2012, 11:15 AM   #14
lamarw

Attached is a picture of my two P250. The full size .45 ACP is in the Krammer Horsehide IWB and the 9mm sub-compact is in a belly band as my daily carry. I would recommend either pistol for your purpose, but I would not recommend either of these holsters for hiking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Small & Big.jpg (188.7 KB, 25 views)
Old December 9, 2012, 12:10 PM   #15
azmark

I absolutely agree that the .357 Magnum is superior to the semiauto rounds we've discussed. I have a 6 in. GP 100. It weighs something like 45 oz. That's double what my Sig weighs. If I could carry the .357 comfortably there would be no reason to choose anything else. I could have chosen a .357 snubby but the recoil would be unpleasant enough to discourage much practice.
Old December 9, 2012, 12:20 PM   #16
Tactical Jackalope

I'd definitely say 10mm if you're worried about animals. If it wasn't a deciding factor, I'd go with the good ol' .45 With 3 mags. One with FMJ's, one mixed and one all hollow points.

Call me crazy.
Old December 10, 2012, 01:57 AM   #17
Lost Sheep

"What Recoil? When I shot, I didn't feel or hear anything."

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmark
I could have chosen a .357 snubby but the recoil would be unpleasant enough to discourage much practice.
Practice with 38 Special (or downloaded .357 Magnum) that shoots to the same point of aim, or close enough.

If you ever have to shoot for real, the recoil will not be a bother.

Lost Sheep