The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 9, 2009, 07:44 PM   #26
m&p45acp10+1

If you were in Texas I would suggest joining the military reserves. It sounds crazy but in the law you can get a CHL in Texas at 18 if you are active duty,reserve, or honorably discharged veteran. It takes 1 more page of paperwork, and a letter to the state that proves you fit the critera listed above. Go to a class that provides the handgun for the test, submit the aplication with payment, and wait. When it comes in you can use it to purchase your hadgun legaly from an FFL. I personaly know 3 people that have done so.
Check your state's laws to see if they are similar. (They vary from state to state).
Old December 9, 2009, 10:38 PM   #27
seniordep2010

Well I am enlisted in the U.S. Navy and ship in Aug 2010 for basic.
Old December 10, 2009, 08:42 AM   #28
Brit

Nobody will carjack you at sea, you are home free.

Gun in car? to be able to use one if some one enters your car? Not much of a chance, your big problem, if and when you leave a firearm in a car, at School especially.

OC Spray in Drivers door panel, use left handed, practice with the inert spray prior to carrying the real thing. Quick spray, leave.

The weapon between your ears is the way to go! Situation awareness can be enhanced by looking at everything around you, REALLY looking, always.

Good luck.
Old December 10, 2009, 12:05 PM   #29
schutzen

CCDW Permit

Be very careful about carrying a ball bat, tire knocker, nu-chucks, etc in your care. Many states, mine included, regard them as deadly weapons and the penalty is the same as for carrying a pistol. In Kentucky the permit is a Concealed Carry Deadly Weapons Permit.

On an added note, once you reach Active Duty you will be prohibited from carrying or possessing deadly weapons in your vehicle or in your barracks.
Old December 10, 2009, 02:00 PM   #30
seniordep2010

Brit, I'm not exactly worried about someone in my car, that was just an example of the crime going on in my area. I still want to be prepaired though. And I 'm not really going to leave my gun in the car, when I'm going somewhere I'll take it with me, and when I get home I'll bring it in the house. I won't leave it in there over night or anything and I WILL NOT take it to school. I am far from being that dumb.
Old December 12, 2009, 05:51 AM   #31
Brit

Good thinking 2010.

Two years ago a Buddy and I went to Frostproof FL, to shoot a USPSA match, we took our guns into the motel, next morning, K9 and on foot Deputy's all over!

Gun Smith lost his guns, and his laptop, all his customers credit card details in it! I cringe when I hear of the stuff people leave in cars (did not think you would though!) I once had two likely lads I gave a lift too suggest they might take my van on the East Lanc's Road in the UK. Back in 1960, coming back from a Military Pistol shoot, when I told them my Browning 9mm trumped their suggested knife! Big change in attitude.

Even in the downpour they were avoiding, the next traffic island was far enough, that was before the "No handgun" madness they are now in.

Gun crime is through the roof in the UK now! Love Florida!

You don't know what "Land of the Free" means till you have lived in other Country's.
Old December 20, 2009, 01:05 AM   #32
Balog

I open carried everywhere in AZ starting at about 18 or so, after a little run in with some white supremacists who objected to me kissing on a Mexican. No one ever cared, even grocery stores fairly late at night. But AZ has probably the highest cultural acceptance of open carry and good laws about it so ymmv.
Old December 21, 2009, 07:19 AM   #33
Brit

A looong time ago, a friend and I were carrying in Phoenix, stopped to chat with a motor Officer about the perception of Open/concealed carry.

He asked about the cost of our belts, holsters, and how much our .45 1911s cost.

That's "partly concealed" he said He said a "Gang banger with a .32 in his pocket with different brands of ammo in the mag?" That's concealed"

That made sense to me.
Old January 2, 2010, 05:21 AM   #34
Brit

I had forgotten this... When the carry of concealed firearms first was passed in to law, we were at a LEO/Firearms Instructor program in Arizona.

One of the Dade County Deputy's told us of the first case.

A Taxi Driver picked up his first fare of the night, and while still outside the cab, back door open, the "Fare" produced a stolen S&W pistol, and demanded money.

"You are my first customer, I only have my float, $26 dollars" The would be robber pointed the S&W, pulled the trigger, safety on, no bang.

The Taxi Driver pulled his .45 Colt, and shot the robber 7 times! He just kept bouncing against the cab, 7th shot he fell down.

He was asked why he shot him 7 times, "I did not know you could load, put the safety on, the replace the round in the magazine, then you would have 8, till the cops showed me!"

See, you learn something new every day.

Last edited by Brit; January 2, 2010 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Spell
Old January 2, 2010, 07:48 AM   #35
LordofWar

.22LR is a good starter calibre (for Plinking).

Go 9mm & above for the car. Whatever you carry do get used to the basics of weapon safety. Carry with an empty chamber for atleast a few months & spend as much time as you can at the range during that time.
Old January 2, 2010, 08:26 AM   #36
KenpoTex

Quote:
Carry with an empty chamber for atleast a few months & spend as much time as you can at the range during that time.
I think that is horrible advice. Certainly, one should understand and apply the fundamental rules of firearms safety...ALWAYS. However, one should also understand that a quality weapon will never discharge on its own. No need to handicap yourself by carrying a weapon that is not ready to use.

Matt K.
Old January 2, 2010, 02:38 PM   #37
Straightshooter629

Quote:
Brit, I'm not exactly worried about someone in my car, that was just an example of the crime going on in my area. I still want to be prepaired though. And I 'm not really going to leave my gun in the car, when I'm going somewhere I'll take it with me, and when I get home I'll bring it in the house. I won't leave it in there over night or anything and I WILL NOT take it to school. I am far from being that dumb
Aside from the age issue, a shotgun, shortened or otherwise, may be great for a home defense weapon, but a bad choice for defense in a vehicle. There is no good way to safely secure a shotgun in a car, and still have it readily availble for depolyment. Also, how do you plan to "Take it with you" when you leave the vehicle? The shotgun is going to be very diificult to conceal as you walk through the local Wal-Mart, and leaving a weapon visilbe, even in a locked vehicle, is just an invitation to have your vehicle broken in to. One last thing...remember that carrying concealed is more than slipping a pistol in to your waistband. It is a complete change in lifestyle and philosophy, so you must give it a lot of thought, which you have done by asking questions...good luck.
Old January 3, 2010, 10:58 PM   #38
kilimanjaro

I suggest you acquire a CCW permit before carrying a weapon, either openly or concealed.

A shotgun is a lousy defense weapon while you are inside a vehicle. A handgun isn't much better if the assailant is in the car with you.

In the meantime, keep your car doors locked, and consider that your car is your weapon and your means of escape.
Old January 5, 2010, 04:38 PM   #39
r.w. schrack

One thing to think about, If your vehicle is broken into you will be short some weapons plus might be held accountable if anyone is injured with your weapons. My advice is wait till you are of age to carry.
Old January 9, 2010, 10:18 AM   #40
highcaliberprovider

I too live in NC. Yes it is legal to carry a handgun if you're over 18 but concealed carry is simply not an option in any form. But, keep in mind the NC definition of concealed. In a locked glove box is not concealed. That having been said, if you're under 21 your best bet is the intimidation factor of a weapon. A shotgun in your vehicle, while ineffective, is far more intimidating than a handgun in your glove box. You may never have to use it at all if it is in plain view. Also, provided your handgun is legal, don't discount "cowboy carry." Again the intimidation factor here is what you are after. Given your age, I would recommend training yourself with a blade. This was my solution until I was old enough to get my CCW. A good blade that is easy to access is more effective, and legal, than a firearm that may take a minute to get to. If your under 21 any firearm will draw unwanted attention from the authorities, even if your not doing anything wrong, and especially if your in a crime riddled area.