The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 4, 2013, 07:06 PM   #1
paulsnapp

When to size and lube bullets?

After I am done casting a few hundred bullets, how long should I wait before I size and lube them? Right away are they softer and size better? A wait period for them to harden for better sizing? Is there a wait period that is too long that they become too hardened for best sizing? Thanks for any advice!
Old June 4, 2013, 08:14 PM   #2
chiefr

You can wait forever to lube and size after you cast. You do not want to lube warm bullets as the lube has low melt point.
If you casting for black powder carts and use Lyman BP Gold or SPG lube, you will find an even lower melt point.
Old June 4, 2013, 11:17 PM   #3
Grump

Store them bare and size/lube a week's or a month's supply for your reloading volume.

Over at CastBoolits, there are at least 3-4 proven homebrew mixes that don't drip in the heat, and most smell better than RCBS and Lyman's lubes. Some can be bought from vendor sponsors there. I've had good luck with TAC#1 from a user there named RandyRat.

But experimentation is close to finished on 2-3 other lubes that absolutely will not drip even if left on the dashboard on a hot sunny day. Try 138°F. One of them does NOT produce cold-weather first shot flyers from multiple rifles and shooters from last winter's testing.

IME, the slight additional hardness 3+ days after casting really makes no difference in sizing. But if you have a push-through sizer, remember to put a lubed one through every 10-20 bullets to keep things nice.