The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 22, 2012, 10:31 PM   #1
cptaylor

Newbie with a shotgun

I've got a 20 gauge that's probably 20 or more years old. I'll have to check make and model if needed. Anyway, it wasn't used for quite a while so when I got it, I cleaned the best I could. Everything worked great, its an auto ( I think) cause as soon as you pull the trigger, it kicks out the spent shell, loads a new one, and I can keep firing.

Recently though, when it kicks the spent shell, the shell get's caught, it doesn't kick completely out. I took everything apart and cleaned it up again, reassembled. Same thing.

So, I'm thinking something isn't quite right, maybe worn, I missed something during cleaning, or the shells I'm using just are crap. I didn't start noticing thins until I bought new shells. The ones I used before I fired in it 20 years ago, no problems, and last year, no problems. yeah, I know, firing old amo is bad, but I had a box and used for repractice.

Any suggestions on what to check?
Old March 22, 2012, 10:45 PM   #2
the rifleer

If you are using light loads that may be the cause of your problems. Knowing make and model would help a lot. You say you cleaned it, I assumed you use some oil too? it doesn't take much oil, just a light coating where there are moving parts.

Check and see what size chamber is has. If it has a 3'' chamber, try some 3'' shells.
Old March 23, 2012, 12:50 AM   #3
TheKlawMan

It wouldhelp to know the make and model shotgun.
Old March 23, 2012, 10:44 AM   #4
zippy13

Greetings, and welcome aboard.

Sorry to hear of your problem.
Quote:
It would help to know the make and model shotgun.
^^Yep.^^
Old March 23, 2012, 01:41 PM   #5
markj

just last Sunday my brother and I stgepped outside and threw some blue rock. He bought some 12 ga shells, both of our 12 ga semi autos would not cycle them shells, were 2.5 dram eq. I use 3 1/4 dram eq and those would cycle. I have a remington 11-87 he has a berreta 3901 I belive.
Old March 23, 2012, 02:32 PM   #6
oneounceload

Quote:
Check and see what size chamber is has. If it has a 3'' chamber, try some 3'' shells.
Why? It should fire standard ammo just fine - I have a semi with a 3.5" chamber that will never see anything heavier than a 1oz target load - its usual diet is a 7/8oz light target load - works just fine. Still sounds like a bad gas port or its a Remington and the gas piston parts are in incorrectly

Quote:
just last Sunday my brother and I stgepped outside and threw some blue rock. He bought some 12 ga shells, both of our 12 ga semi autos would not cycle them shells, were 2.5 dram eq. I use 3 1/4 dram eq and those would cycle. I have a remington 11-87 he has a berreta 3901 I belive.
Is there a question you're asking here?