The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 20, 2012, 08:41 AM   #1
johnwilliamson062

Recoil pad.

I had a BT99 with an interesting Recoil pad. When you fired the gun would slid up a set of rails transferring the energy upward instead of straight back. I am sure any avid trap shooter know the type I am talking about. Anyone know what they are called? More than one brand? FOr more than BT 99. Had a guy offer me $75 for the one I had, but was able to sell the whole gun for $300 more than I paid so it went all together(hoping to get a BT 100 down the road). Really liked the recoil pad though.
Old March 20, 2012, 10:59 AM   #2
BigJimP

I'm waiting for the "old guys" to respond ....because I have no idea what you're talking about ...??? .../ but its interesting...
Old March 20, 2012, 11:42 AM   #3
oneounceload

You're older than I am Jim, and you shot trap whereas I didn't.....YOU should know......

I have seen many recoil devices on guns over the years, but not where the gun was sent upwards - don't think I would like that coming up and into my cheek - my shoulder has more bearing surface than my cheek does. Can't even think of any who did -Gracoil, G Squared, JS Air, Soft Touch, etc......
Old March 20, 2012, 12:46 PM   #4
BigJimP

Just because I have 3 dedicated Trap guns....doesn't make me a Trap shooter...my parents were married !! ....

But I still don't know ...what he saw either...
Old March 20, 2012, 02:27 PM   #5
zippy13

When I shot ATA, I saw a lot of strange stuff. Some super specialized trap guns look like they were from Mars, and beyond. I don't recall seeing anything like I envision from your description; but, I know, there's a lot of gear I've not seen. Some custom devices were limited production and, before the internet, had little general exposure. I have two types of reciprocating recoil reducers but there are no rails involved and the their action is not vertical. The only thing I can think of with "rails" are some of the adjustable recoil pad mounts, but they are locked in place when you shoot. If you get a chance, I'm sure we'd all like to see some pics of that BT99.
Old March 20, 2012, 03:34 PM   #6
olddrum1

What JW62 mentioned is a BT-99 Plus. Adjustable rib, cheek piece, and recoil system. Also made this in a Citori called a Citori Plus. Invector Plus chokes. 32 and 34 inch barrels on the BT-Plus. Never saw any 30 inch barrels on the BT. If your going to own a BT this is the one to look for. I would do pictures but we are reorganizing the music room and have a couple thousand records parked in front of the safe.

Last edited by olddrum1; March 20, 2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old March 20, 2012, 04:07 PM   #7
BigJimP

Oh, ok ....if John was talking about the BT-99 Plus....that makes some sense...

http://www.gunauction.com/search/dis...temnum=9559134

Here's a link with some photos of a BT-99 Plus...but the recoil reducer in that model didn't go up and down ....it moved fore and aft..../ and it was always my assumption that system was mfg'd by GraCoil ..but maybe not. So maybe John saw some custom setup ...still don't know...

Obviously Browning still makes a BT-99 with a gracoil in it ...the gold model for around $ 3,750 - $ 4,000 around here...and I see a few of them around...but I like the older BT-100 better too ( if for no reason other than the removeable trigger group in the BT-100 ).

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...7&tid=057&bg=x

I can't find an option for an adjustable rib anymore on Brownings site ...don't know when that went away ....but I know other companies like Krieghoff are still offering it...in their KX-6 line of guns ...
http://www.krieghoff.com/index.php/c...ngle-shot-trap

Last edited by BigJimP; March 20, 2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old March 20, 2012, 04:15 PM   #8
oneounceload

What you are showing Jim are the types I was thinking about along with the JS system that Zippy knows more about and the G squared Shockmaster where the comb and butt plate are one unit and move back in unison
Old March 20, 2012, 04:55 PM   #9
BigJimP

Yeah, I'm still not sure what John saw ...or what someone told him ...

we might be way out on this one.....but a shotgun recoiling vertically ...makes no sense to me either...
Old March 20, 2012, 05:01 PM   #10
zippy13

Ah, it's a conventional reciprocating recoil reducer -- not what I was envisioning from the OP's description.
Old March 20, 2012, 05:08 PM   #11
olddrum1

I think that the 99+ may have been the last to have the adjustable rib option.
Old March 20, 2012, 05:14 PM   #12
BigJimP

You're probably right ....( I don't remember...) ....

but then I'm happy with my Citori XT's ....

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...2&d=1330983608

and my BT-100 ...even though I don't shoot it hardly at all....

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...4&d=1330983608
Old March 20, 2012, 05:25 PM   #13
zippy13

Hey Jim, how about using the space under your BT-100's rib for advertising your company? Then you could write-off your shooting (if you don't already)?
Old March 20, 2012, 05:46 PM   #14
oneounceload

Quote:
I think that the 99+ may have been the last to have the adjustable rib option.
Seems some of the sporting folks are trying to push them for sporting guns - Cesar Guerini has one, I believe Kreighoff, Blaser and a few others offer some form of them as well.
Old March 20, 2012, 05:49 PM   #15
BigJimP

I always thought my entry fees were a "charitable contribution" ....to you " big dogs " isn't it ....
--------------------
No, seriously ....I've participated as a sponsor on some sporting stations in a few shoots, as a company ....

and with the youth shooting groups...with a little cash ..../or buying a few cases of shells...
------------------
but the more "low key" I can go, the better I like it ... ......I'm just a "pup" in the "big yard" guys like you play in buddy ....and its a priveledge to participate...
Old March 20, 2012, 06:01 PM   #16
TheKlawMan

Quote:
Just because I have 3 dedicated Trap guns....doesn't make me a Trap shooter...my parents were married !! ....
It only counts if they were married to each other, Jim.
Old March 20, 2012, 06:37 PM   #17
BigJimP

Well they weren't married early on ..../ but grandpa and his shotgun ...fixed that I think .... ....
Old March 21, 2012, 08:49 AM   #18
johnwilliamson062

I didn't see it I owned it! Should have kept the thing when I sold the gun or at least written some model numbers or such down.
I used Remington nitro pheasants for shoot offs and the thing was still so soft to shoot.

Thinking about this further I am confident the butt shot down, not up. I remember it being up, but i do not remember bruises on my cheeks, and as pointed out up would cause bruises. It was angled, so it wasn't straight down. Maybe 60*
Rails also may not be a good description. Maybe more like dovetails.
Not the BT99+ pictured. No gap. No piston or spring involved either. Had to push the thing back into place between shots.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; March 21, 2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old March 21, 2012, 09:25 AM   #19
johnwilliamson062

How about a good trap specific forum? I don't know of any?
Old March 21, 2012, 10:37 AM   #20
BigJimP

shotgun world....has some big Trap specific boards...

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/index.php

I sure wish you had a photo ....I'm really curious now ...
Old March 21, 2012, 02:04 PM   #21
M4BGRINGO

This is the setup I have on my Browning. One day I need to take a picture of my gun, but it has this same setup on it:

I can shoot this gun all day long, or until I run out of shells. Have put over 250 rounds through it in a single day and my shoulder didn't know I was shooting!
Old March 21, 2012, 03:57 PM   #22
tAKticool

LimbSaver completely changed my shotgun and views on them

I just wanted to chime in here.

My experience with shotguns was always only a few shots here and there. First time I cranked off 250 rounds or more was in like end-of-nice-weather-season 08, end summer early fall something like that. My buddy had a hankering, so he took me to a public shotgun skeet range here in Jersey (It took us like 3 weeks to find one, the first trip out we drove an hour to find it was closed permanently, [we considered shooting anyway but didnt want to tempt it, i mean it was in the middle of the woods and all who wouild we bothered, nthing actually "closed" or anything right? lol], second next weekend, we were pitched to find they wouldnt allow lead shot, only non toxic steel, and we had like 500 rounds of freshly bought lead birdshot. finally third trip we found o0ne)... and we went to town.

I should mention, I assumed he had a thing to shoot out the orange things. LOL I am told, they're called clays or skeets or traps or whatever not orange things, and we got another orange ething to throw them. As in, a plastic little hook thing to manually throw thm. Oh how quaint. And he breaks out his "baby!!!" a 13-15 year old , over under, busted shotgun with a crack in the handle of the stock. I am not at all comfortable with this because it seems like its an older shotgun to begin with (his first), its looking broken and Im afraid it could rbeak big time during fire. Oh so he breaks out his "Remington 1100" - apparently his stepdad (a retired police captain and force XO) bought it in the 70s as he wanted the "best" and that was it at the time, the latest in autoloading shotgun technology.

Well that shotgun was amazing. IT was so soft shooting and so smooth I had no idea that a 12 gauge would hurt in a pump and buckshot etc. Shooting the 1100 with birdshot/target loads was a pleasure.

Well fast forward a couple years. My M930SPX with buckshot downright wasn't fun. I mean I was getting it hard, and I didn't really enjoy shooting it. And I also thought, I am not so sure I could now regard this a my HD weapon because, it's not easy to shoot or control for me (Im not such a big dude at 5'8" 140-150lb) and I dont want to hesitate at the moment or get knocked off target/hurt after the moment.

LimbSaver changed everything- I had read a lot of great things, figured it couldn't hurt for like $40 bucks and man, did it make a difference. HUGE Difference!!

My M930SPX now would be my weapon of choice on point for a SEAL Team if I was in that line of work. I mean it was so awesome, I am fully fine with magazine tube after magazine tube fulled of 00 buck, then 100 rounds of Birdshot straight throiugh, at the range. I also added an Aimpoint Micro and I'm crazy great with it now. Not to brag or toot my own horn, but my retired cop Dad even said, you look like you're some special forces type with that thing. AWESOME. I would not buy another shotgun without added a LimbSaver, and I will someday be adding a Benelli Supernova Tactical, probably comfortech, it'll also get a LimbSaver, and the M590A1, when I get that It'll have em too.
Old March 22, 2012, 01:34 PM   #23
johnwilliamson062

They easily IDed it at shotgun world:
http://www.griggsrecoil.com/products/products.htm

A bit more than a limbsaver, but a cheap accessory in the world of trap.
Mine was the cheaper model.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; March 22, 2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old March 22, 2012, 02:13 PM   #24
BigJimP

Ok, its a product similar to a jones pad ...or an adjustable butt plate...

so its adjustable ...so it directs the recoil where you want it ....vs having any mechanical device that moves with the gun like a GraCoil, Soft Touch, JS air cushion, etc..../ the GraCoil has the adjustable butt plate option as part of their system as well....

looks like a good product....

although I think the GraCoil gives you better recoil control ..with the adjustability as well.
Old March 22, 2012, 02:33 PM   #25
zippy13

I'm curious about the recovery time for a quick second shot with the Griggs rig. It might do wonders for singles but suck for doubles.

I'm skeptical about their claim: There is NOTHING in this WORLD that eliminates recoil as well as the Griggs Recoil Redirector. If this were true, don't you think we'd see a lot more of them?