The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 10, 2013, 08:11 PM   #1
Winchester_73

Colt 1911 function problem

Recently I bought a 1943 Colt 1911A1. I ended up changing out some parts, and now when the trigger is pulled with dry firing, the hammer does not always fall all the way down. It often gets caught in the half cock notch.

When I got the gun, I noticed that it had a 1911 short beavertail grip safety, so I changed that. Then I found out in its SN range, it should have a wide spur hammer (from the Poyer book), so I bought one of those. I then had the sear spring engaged improperly, during a re-assembly, and broke it. So I went to my 1911 parts box, and pulled out another sear spring. Now, after all of those changes, the hammer falls to the half cock notch approx 30% of the time. I have not fired the gun.

What is likely the culprit here? What should I look for on the parts IE alterations? The parts looked like GI stuff that had light wear, to my eye.

The gun is pretty nice, and the slide matches the SN. It has a light spot of pitting on the slide, and a few spots on the front strap, but I got it for a very fair price.

Old March 10, 2013, 09:13 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Exactly what parts have you changed? Just hammer, grip safety, and sear spring?

If that's all, then IMHO the most likely culprit is the grip safety. The "new" one may not be allowing the trigger to travel as far back (aft) as the original. What I would do is change only ONE part at a time, test, and evaluate. For starters, keep the "new" hammer and sear spring, and replace the original grip safety. See what happens.
Old March 11, 2013, 06:00 AM   #3
1911Tuner

Half-Cocked

Disconnect problem.

Either the disconnect/sear overlap is insufficient, or the center leg of the sear spring doesn't have enough tension to keep the disconnect from being squirted out from between them when the trigger applies pressure.

Check to see if the top of the center sear spring leg is impinging too high on the disconnect spade. That'll do it, too.
Old March 11, 2013, 08:51 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

What is the trigger pull weight? And did you work on the hammer full cock notch or the sear? That sounds like too light a pull.

Jim
Old March 12, 2013, 10:40 AM   #5
Mr Budha

Damn I wish I understand the technical aspects of guns as well as you guys lol. Hope you get it sorted out, that 1911 is a beauty