The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 26, 2007, 04:56 PM   #26
T-Ray

my comment said nothing about wounding an animal and i would never do such a thing. i meant kill it (with an air rifle) and then set it up as bait. again, it said NOTHING ABOUT WOUNDING, rather killing. by air rifle i meant 750fps or more. again, thank you for the remark
Old September 26, 2007, 05:55 PM   #27
williamd

About 6 - 7 years ago it was estimated that San Diego County had 1/2 million coyotes. The population has not gone down, they have adapted. So, I estimate Imperial and San Bernardino counties at 1 million each, Riverside at least equal to SD. We skipped SD County for the latter two when hunting them. Have an old Navy buddy who lives in Brentwood and complains that the deer eat his ivy (two legal bucks in the group!) and the coyotes eat his cats. His wife liked to watch the coyotes until one joined her in the backyard when she was in the hot tub! She later called animal control who replied they could do little .... just cautioned her. They can't respond to the many raccoon, possum and skunk in-the-house calls. A few cougar in that area, too, so she may have more excitement coming. And, more cautioning. Plenty/many coyotes around, Bobcat, too. I just backed off personally. But, never hike the back country unarmed.
Old September 27, 2007, 03:40 PM   #28
castnblast

About the Asshat comment...good way to get banned. BTW, what is an asshat anyway? Also, this is just another prime example of assuming things...we all know what happens when we do that, for those of you who don't know, or havent heard, or you have lived in a closet for 100 years and never get out much, here it is...I'm pretty sure 99% of you have heard it, but it's worth repeating...especially given the relevancy to this topic...Assume

makes (ass) out of (u) and (me) =ass-u-me...
Old September 27, 2007, 05:34 PM   #29
Anthony2

Help with 'Yote hunting...

I've got a couple of threads going called Coyote trolling that might help a little...Just use the search feature...That'll help to broaden your horizons...

I've had great luck just using a fawn in distress call and a mouse squeaker...Although you have to be careful using the fawn call..My father and I were nearly stomped to death by two very protective does one morning...I learned then that a bow stand makes things much safer...

Or at the very least less heart pounding....

"Baaa or Freedom!" - Ted Nugent

"Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth." - Ghandi

"The Addiction to Guns, The only addiction to ever SAVE a life!"- Me
Old September 27, 2007, 05:46 PM   #30
castnblast

Better yet, those fawn calls do a number on large cats too...You just thought the does were scary...
Old October 2, 2007, 10:03 PM   #31
T-Ray

castnblast,
i also wondered what it meant, but knew it wasn't exactly a kind comment. go to urbandictionary.com it tells you the meanings of all of today's slang.

it means you have your head up your butt therefore wearing it as a hat. i think that if you use the saying that you are one yourself, but that's just me (on my way to validictorian). it's not like i'm anything special or smart or anything like that
Old October 3, 2007, 06:08 PM   #32
ourayguy

Why would you want to kill a coyote? I can't think of any other animal that symbolizes the American West. If you're not hungry enough to eat it you shouldn't take it's life.
Old October 3, 2007, 06:26 PM   #33
hpg

Quote:
ourayguy Why would you want to kill a coyote?

You are kidding? right?????????
Old October 3, 2007, 08:20 PM   #34
hunter33

Ourayguy lol you must be kidding right?? if not i think your on the wrong thread...its a sport man 1 that i love very much
Old October 4, 2007, 12:14 PM   #35
ourayguy

If you want to shoot something that much go play paintball and blast away at your friends. I don't think it's sporting to kill just for the thrill of it.
Old October 4, 2007, 05:32 PM   #36
hpg

The man doesn't have a clue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hpg
Old October 4, 2007, 06:11 PM   #37
hunter33

Man you have no idea...
Old October 4, 2007, 08:06 PM   #38
FirstFreedom

I'm going to go out on a limb here:

1. Find 'em.
2. Shoot 'em.

JK, you've gotten some great advice.

Coyotes get to be a nuisance in many places, and "need killin" - need their numbers thinned. It's not just for fun. It's to help control their numbers, which in turn is beneficial to sububurn small household pets, quail, rabbits, deer, ranchers' calves/colts, and other desirable critters. I agree you need a reason to shoot something, but in many places, there's good reason to shoot coyotes, IMO. Sure they symbolize the America West. So does the rifle, which has served well in killing them all these many decades.
Old October 4, 2007, 11:17 PM   #39
T-Ray

well here's just one reason off the top of my head:

I like to eat hamburgers. Hamburgers come from cows. Coyotes kill & eat cows. I would rather eat the cow than have a coyote eat one.

There you go.

btw- hunting forums are gonna be loaded with people that love to hunt things just as comedians love to tell jokes (again, off the top of my head).
Old October 6, 2007, 09:14 PM   #40
castnblast

I think ourayguy is a troll from PETA...
Old October 7, 2007, 08:30 AM   #41
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Wellllll, I see that once again it's Remedial Reading time around the breakfast table.

"another way you could do it is shoot a rabbit with a pellet gun, then set it and the call up and get in a stand 50 yds away. should work like a charm."

I read this as meaning that the rabbit is to be killed in a silent manner so any coyotes in the vicinity don't hear a shot. The dead rabbit is then to be used as a scent bait.

ourayguy, if you think folks "kill for the thrill", are you so brave at heart that you freely insult such Bad Guys? That comes across as being brave enough to cross-dress and go to a biker bar!

Seriously, though, coyotes are harmful predators when their numbers are not controlled. Think what it means to an ecosystem when one man can kill 2,000 coyotes in a relatively small area. And consider familial feelings at losing pets, or the financial burden on sheep and goat ranchers.

Ranching example: I know of a rancher at Uvalde, Texas, who put 1,000 goats on his 7,000-acre ranch. The first year, he got a 60% kid crop. For the next year, he did an extensive predator-removal effort. The next spring he got an 80% kid crop. 200 goats at $50 each = $10,000 pay raise, which not only paid the school taxes on his land, but left a few thousand for "Momma and the kids." (800 goats' worth of income still ain't much when you're talking a capital value of land of $2.8 million...)

Art
Old October 7, 2007, 09:47 AM   #42
Mainah

I don't hunt coyotes, but I don't have anything against killing them. I do have a problem with people who complain when coyotes kill their cats. I own three cats, and I keep them all inside.

The way I see it when you let a cat out it is part of the ecosystem, it'll kill a bunch of birds and whatever else it can catch. But that works both ways.
Old October 13, 2007, 08:19 PM   #43
williamd

Ourayguy must be a vegetarian. He will be that skinny guy you can kick the sand on and take his girl! I still thing he is us!

I am not much of a coyote shooter any longer but have done-in my share and some. Getting enough in our neighborhood (and I live in the city limits) of late that people are complaining about losing cats ... coyote bait in my opinion. Next door neighbor has Alpacas on his 4 acres and has recently acquired two really big, really pretty and friendly English Mastiffs to keep the coyotes at bay. Makes for some nice singing in the middle of the night ... especially when my two pointers are inside the house!

Admit I have taken the 222 and the 223 to the local range and checked the sighting recently. I had a Brittany attacked by a coyote and do not want that to happen again. So thinning may be necessary.
Old October 14, 2007, 09:49 AM   #44
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

ourayguy has trolled through in past threads. He has emotion-based opinions, only, and is uninterested in any factual explanations. Responding is a waste of time.

Art