The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 8, 2007, 07:06 AM   #1
cajun47

tips on hog hunting needed.

i'll be using a s&w .44 mag. its a very large area of high land(several square miles) in the swamp in louisiana.

whats the easiest way to kill hogs? can i bait an area? with what?

or do i just walk around?

i never deer hunted much, only squirrel, rabbit, duck.
Old October 8, 2007, 09:41 AM   #2
FirstFreedom

The easiest way is to hunt at night, with a light (if legal). These are nocturnal animals, who don't move around in daylight much. So yes, most people bait them and ambush them at the bait, at dusk or dawn. Best of all, bait them and hunt at night. When you hear them on your bait, turn on your riflescope varmint light. Gotta have the wind in your favor - they smell and hear very well.

You can bait them with just about anything under the sun. A lot of people will bury a mixture of corn, beer, milk - something to make it ferment and smell really strong to attact them - burying it makes it last much longer since they have to root it up to get to it. I've heard of quite a few people who will bury fish heads/guts, or their deer guts. But just regular corn from a feeder works well too.

Look here:

http://www.texasboars.com/
Old October 8, 2007, 04:46 PM   #3
crowbeaner

The easiest way to drop a hog is to shoot them in the ear. They drop like apples, and one is all it takes, giving you the chance to get another. I watched a kid around 10 or so take two BIG ones with a .223 and that's where he hit them as in BANG FLOP BACON. Hope this helps. CB.
Old October 8, 2007, 05:33 PM   #4
john in jax

As ar as baiting goes, check the rules and regs that apply to that area. Many states allow you to bait hogs, but not all.

If you are allowed to bait them in the area you are going to hunt it is as simple as buying a bag of feed corn and pouring long "strings" of corn down your shooting lanes. Or you can spend the $$$ on feeders.

One method that I'm told work well requires more work but sounds real interesting. Cut and cap a few sections thin walled 4" PVC pipe in 2'-3' lengths. Take these sections out in the woods with some post hole diggers and plant them (vertical) so the open end is at ground level or above. Fill with corn and (as mentioned above) pour beer, milk or anything else you can think of they might like over the top. I don't know anyone willing to put that much work effort into it, but fellow TFL'ers claim that the hogs will eat the pipe, root a crater in the ground, do whatever it takes to get at that fermenting mess.
Old October 8, 2007, 05:54 PM   #5
cajun47

thanks everyone. very helpful. it would take forever to get any tips like this from the locals. they dont want to make it easy for anyone.
Old October 8, 2007, 08:07 PM   #6
fisherman66

John's description of the pvc tube feeders is a good idea if you want to establish a pattern of feeding activity (just limit how much corn will actually come out - less is better). If you can only spend one day in the location spreading the corn out across game trails might be a better way. It will really depend on the way you hunt and how much access you have to the area. Some people will even bury the corn with a little diesel fuel mixed in. The pigs will spend more time getting to the corn and may wallow in the mud as well.
Old October 8, 2007, 09:04 PM   #7
Yithian

Not sure why but the best bait here in North Texas seems to be deer corn soaked in Diesel fuel or BigRed soda-pop.
Dig a hole about two feet deep with a post hole digger and fill it to the rim and more.
Those hogs will stay there, or nearby, for a very long time while they work on opening up the new wallow hole.
Old October 8, 2007, 09:27 PM   #8
bswiv

Never baited them but have shot a bunch here in Fl. It's a lot more fun to walk them up. We find that a WINDY day, especially a COLD one late in the season when all the leaves are out of the way, is best. Move slow and listen a lot. It's far more exciting than sitting over bait..................harder though..........but then hunting is not to be confused with shooting or with killing, it's much more.
Old October 8, 2007, 09:43 PM   #9
Hawg

Be very sure of your shot. Make a bad one and they will come after you and those tusks will rip you up. Might want a climbable tree handy, just in case.