The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 22, 2011, 04:41 AM   #1
HAMMER1DOWN

.300 WM sniper project

So I have a Howa 1500 rifle in .300 win mag. I wanna turn it into a heavy duty sniper / hunting rifle. Weight don't bother me, I carry heavy firearms all the time. So who can suggest a good heavy contour barrel with or without fluting, and a good stock? I am lookin into McMillian fer the stock, but not sure about the barrel. I already have a custom trigger and a good scope.

I wanna have the rifle be able to hit MOA or better out to and including 600 yards, I reload so I can wrench some accuracy from there. Also would like to know of any good gunsmiths in CO/MT area?

Thanks,
HAMMER
Old July 22, 2011, 08:21 AM   #2
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Lots of choices

Well your choice of Caliber is a sound one for your Project , IMO . A Douglas XX in a heavy Sporter contour 26" long should serve you well ! There is a Myriad of Stocks to choose from . Look for the fit and Features that suit you and go from there . Any Stock made for The Wetherby Vanguard will fit your Rifle , you may want one with a Varmint Barrel channel to accomidate the heavy Sporter Barrel and provide proper clearence ! Just my thoughts .
Old July 22, 2011, 08:01 PM   #3
hhunter318

Also take a look at Pac-Nor Barrels. They do good work at a reasonable price. I just bought a .284 31" select match grade heavy palma barrel from them. Was very pleased.
Old July 22, 2011, 08:23 PM   #4
HAMMER1DOWN

Now as for length of barrel, I am lookin at not movin around a lot, sittin in hides and such. Soo what length can I get away with in the WM before its "to" long?
Old July 23, 2011, 02:48 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Suggest that you have only one firm make your barrel and fit the barreled action to a stock.
Old July 23, 2011, 08:50 AM   #6
kraigwy

This guy built Pulma Rifles for the US Team. If you're talling about accuracy he'll do you right.

Not in Mt or CO, but right between the two in Western South Dakota

He post here, might even try PM'ing him (Longrifle). Might want to talk to him before you buy a barrel.

Chad Dixon
Owner, Gunmaker
LongRifles, Inc.
3570 Mayer Suite "B"
Sturgis, SD 57785
www.longriflesinc.com
[email protected]
605.720.1929 fax
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old July 23, 2011, 09:34 AM   #7
mapsjanhere

Don't listen to Kraig, or your simple sniper project ends up like this.
Old July 23, 2011, 05:27 PM   #8
hhunter318

My smith told me that if you buy a long tube, use it. So if you buy a 30" tube, don't chop it to 27 or 28"( I know you have to cut so much off each end, that's not my point). If you go long, say over 26", it's best to bed the first few inches of the barrel to support it, in my experience anyways. I don't see why you couldn't get away with anything between 22 and 30". Guess it's all preference and according to your setup.
Old July 24, 2011, 04:42 AM   #9
T. O'Heir

"...a Howa 1500..." It's already a 'heavy duty' hunting rifle. How much money do you want to spend?
A Howa 1500 is the same rifle as a Weatherby Vanguard, so when you go looking for barrels, etc. anything made for a Vanguard will fit a 1500.
You'd be far better to reload for it though. Think 190 grain match bullets for target shooting. Same weight class in a hunting bullet.
Old July 24, 2011, 09:58 AM   #10
hooligan1

Mapsjan, thats one killer piece of steel man. I would like to see someone really "deck out" a Howa and post pics!!! I can't afford that kind of rifle but my eyes appreciate lookin'em over cool pics man!!
Old July 24, 2011, 08:17 PM   #11
HAMMER1DOWN

Well I ain't to worried about price, I want a riflr that I can be confident will make that first cold bore shot at 600+ yards. I like that rifle that Kraig posted but want something more along the lines of adjustable stock. I want to put as long of a barrel as resonably possible (was thinking 28-30" or rifling) but wasn't sure how much of an advantage that would be over say 24-26" barrels.
Old July 24, 2011, 09:46 PM   #12
mapsjanhere

With the magnum calibers there's no disadvantage to using the maximum length the barrel comes in, but really, anything you can get past 28" you can probably also get from a grain extra powder. I went with the 300 RUM over the 300 WM due to the beltless brass, I'm not a big fan of reloading the belted cartridges. If you have the money, Chad is the guy to talk to, and you don't need an adjustable stock if it's a custom made to your dimensions.
Old July 25, 2011, 12:38 AM   #13
hhunter318

It's not held in as high regard as the McMillans, but I own a Choate Ultimate Sniper with my Rem 700 SA riding in it with the PacNor 31" barrel. It's got the aluminum V-Block for perfect alignment of the action. I bedded the first 3" of the barrel channel due to the long tube. With the new barrel I had to do some inletting but i'm happy with the stock. They're relatively inexpensive being a hair over $200. It's got the adjustable length of pull and cheek piece.
Old July 25, 2011, 09:23 AM   #14
kraigwy

Quote:
I like that rifle that Kraig posted but want something more along the lines of adjustable stock.
Nice looking rifle, but it isn't mine, its mapsjanhere's.

This is my long range 300 WM, I doubt you would like it, it's pretty much limited to prone shooting. It's a Winchester action, Single Shot. 29 inch Douglas premium barrel, Bishop stock. Set up for 1000 yards, using both iron sights and scope for Any rifle/Any sights, and Any rifle/Iron Sights.

I built it my self, it shoots pretty good but I doubt its up to the quality of Longrifle's work.

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old July 27, 2011, 05:14 AM   #15
HAMMER1DOWN

Sent an e-mail to Long Rifle Inc. Lets see what he can tell me for suggestions on barrel and stock.. I am pretty excited to have a custom rifle in my "armory"! Especially one I can show off and know that NO ONE else has!
Old July 29, 2011, 05:52 PM   #16
hooligan1

Sweet Captain Stuart!! very sweet.