The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 25, 2012, 10:58 AM   #1
pabuckslayer08

Who makes a stainless walnut gun still

Well I'm trying to find a gift for my dad in hopes of eventually getting him on a trip to Canada. I know synthetic is best but I want him to have a nice walnut gun with the rust resistance of stainless. I know the x bolt stainless hunter but it got discontinued an the only other I've found is the cdl sf limited gun. Not sure on cal yet I know he's a die hard 30 06 fan but I'm thinking I should get him the 300 ultra or rem mag
Old October 25, 2012, 11:22 AM   #2
BillM

Savage 14/114 American Classic Stainless

Ruger M77 Laminate and stainless

Browning X Bolt White Gold

Remington Model 700 CDL SF
Old October 25, 2012, 02:14 PM   #3
Metal god

Holy cow other then the Ruger those are some nice rifles . Browning is my fav what a gorgeous rifle . I love the 700 for it's classic look and the savage is pretty nice as well .

What are you going up north to hunt ? Those are some heavy recoiling calibers you have in mind . Great for the bigger game but not so much on the older shoulder . If thats the caliber thats needed thats what you should get . It would be unfortunate if he were only able to injoy it for a couple of seasons do to it becoming more and more uncomfortable to shoot . I'm really becomming a fan of the 7mm mag . Plenty of punch with a little less recoil .

Just a thought , hope it helps .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old October 25, 2012, 02:34 PM   #4
taylorce1

Winchester was making a Stainless Laminated M70 called the Alaskan pretty sweet rifle and in the 06, but I was eying one in .375 H&H a while ago. Alas out of my price range for what I was willing to spend on it. Winchester used to do a Classic FWT in SS pretty nice looking rifles and if I could find one that wasn't outrageously priced in .270 I'd have one.

If I really wanted a SS and wood stock the easiest thing to do is just buy the rifle you want in SS regardless of the stock. There are several factory take off stocks as well as wood stock suppliers that offer basically drop in stocks for rifles like the M70, M700, and M10/110. I wouldn't rely on current production to come up with the rifle I wanted. I'd just buy a used SS rifle or new production Ultimate Shadow M70 Winchester, SS SPS M700 Remington, M77 Hawkeye AW Ruger or a Weather Warrior M11/111 Savage, order up a Boyd's laminate or walnut stock in either a classic or prairie hunter and be done for around $100 more.
Old October 25, 2012, 03:38 PM   #5
pabuckslayer08

Good ideas guys I kind of like the savage actually. Recoil really isn't much of an issue an at this point the animal is unknown. I'm hoping a caribou black bear an salmon trip but it could vary to a moose trip
Old October 25, 2012, 04:36 PM   #6
PTS1

In addition to those alredy mentioned, Weatherby has a vanguard with walnut and stainless.
Old October 26, 2012, 12:50 AM   #7
warbirdlover

There's the Tikka T3 "Hunter" series with walnut stocks but not sure if they make a stainless version.

Oops. Yes they do...

http://www.tikka.fi/t3models.php?hunterss
Old October 26, 2012, 04:03 AM   #8
mete

Kimber has their Classic Stainless.
Old October 26, 2012, 06:21 AM   #9
MrBorland

The Sako 85 comes in stainless/walnut.
Old October 26, 2012, 06:33 AM   #10
jmr40

I think the ss/walnut part has been answered, but for this.

Quote:
Not sure on cal yet I know he's a die hard 30 06 fan but I'm thinking I should get him the 300 ultra or rem mag
Stick with a 30-06. He probably does not need anyhing larger and unless he has shot the magnum rounds a lot probably won't like them.
Old October 26, 2012, 08:27 AM   #11
Magnum Wheel Man

well... if it doesn't have to be a current production, perhaps you could find one of these on Gun Broker... or ???

about a year ago, I was in my local Gun Store, & this rifle caught my eye... gorgous wood, nice stainless, fluted barrel, jeweled bolt, etc... I picked it up, & it was an unfired 100th aniversary of the 30-06, in a Remington 700... never even had a scope mounted on it... I was able to do a trade for a Remington 700 Mountain rifle in 30-06 & just a little cash for the rifle... I still haven't shot it, would think it was made in 2005 or 2006, since that was the 100th year of the cartridge...

oh... BTW... it had a really nicely engraved mag floor plate stating 100th aniversary of the 30-06 cartridge... maybe not special to too many, but it's one of my favorites, & so far only a wall hanger for me ( I have several bolt action 30-06's so I don't "have" to shoot it ) but may someday, just because it's such a nice rifle... if you could find a rifle like that, I'm guessing it would be your fathers new favorite...

here is one listed on Gun Broker right now... that looks just like mine, when I bought it...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=313005829

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; October 26, 2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old October 26, 2012, 12:45 PM   #12
dgludwig

I don't know if they are still in production or not but I have a Savage Model 116 SE rifle that is walnut and s/s.
Old October 26, 2012, 01:58 PM   #13
DTrain

Man I love stainless and Walnut! That Savage in .243 is pretty tempting to me!
Old October 26, 2012, 04:52 PM   #14
pabuckslayer08

I bet that tikka is a real tack driver
Old October 26, 2012, 09:07 PM   #15
ttheel

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...id=035&tid=235

Browning x bolt white gold all the way. A thing of beauty.
Old October 27, 2012, 10:29 AM   #16
gman3

I recently bought a Winchester Mod 70 Featherweight Stainless with an awesome piece of walnut, brand new in the box from a dealer on Gunbroker. .30-06 with 22 inch barrel. It was a 2012 shot show edition, and I believe there were several others available for sale.

I have always wanted one, and when I saw it, I just had to have it. Shot less than MOA out of the box with 165 grain handloads, without any tinkering.
Old October 27, 2012, 10:41 PM   #17
1hogfan83

Tikka? Tack Driver? It rolls off the tounge.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old October 27, 2012, 11:48 PM   #18
Sport45

Quote:
I know synthetic is best but I want him to have a nice walnut gun with the rust resistance of stainless.
It's a personal thing, but I think blued steel and walnut looks much better. Do you think he's going to be neglecting it? With just a little care blue steel can last for generations.

And with enough neglect stainless firearms will rust.
Old October 28, 2012, 07:20 AM   #19
pabuckslayer08

No I don't think it will be neglected but it may go a week in wet conditions
Old October 28, 2012, 08:22 AM   #20
jmr40

If you want something that looks cool, the SS/walnut guns certainly are. If you want something for wet, harsh conditions they don't make a lot of sense. The walnut is the weak link.

A blue metal finish over time in wet conditions or hard use will show scratches and surface rust much more easily than SS. But it takes a lot of long term neglect to reach the point where it effects the guns function. Even a SS gun neglected that bad will give you problems.

Wood on the other hand will often go from being perfect to useless in a matter of minutes, even seconds with no warning. No matter what you do, there is simpy no way to waterproof a piece of wood, and even if you did, it would not address the real problem.

Any wood stock has about 15-20% of its weight as water sealed inside the stock. If they removed any less at the kiln the wood would snap like a matchstick. Even if you completely seal the wood to prevent more water from getting in, this internal moisture expands and contracts as temperature, humidity and altitude change. This causes POI changes and occasionally split or cracked stocks.

The ultimate bad weather guns are syntheic and stainless. If I had to pick just one feature I'd 10X rather have a synthetic stock with blue metal for bad weather than a walnut stock and stainless metal.
Old October 28, 2012, 09:55 AM   #21
taylorce1

Walnut isn't that weak of a link you can seal it up and a good full lenght glass bed job will keep it from warping enough to keep it from POI shifts. Wood stocks have been used on rifles for longer than synthetic and the warping issue isn't a new one, people have still hunted and shot in competitions with success with wood stocked rifles for years.

Truly the most stable stock is a synthetic that is laid up and not injection molded, followed by a lamianted wood stock, and then a traditional wood stock. A laid up stock synthetic stock will still expand and contract a little with extreme temperature changes, but because it is basically laminated as well and the grains aren't all running the same direction it isn't going to be able to move as much. However we are talking hunting rifles and a properly sealed and bedded wood stock shouldn't change your POI by more than 1/2" in the most extreme temperature variations.

Just look around at everyone that hunts, I'd bet the vast majority of them still hunt with a wood stock, and do so in extreme temperature and humidity shifts all across the world. I've hunted upstate NY, to Sout TX, all of Colorado, and the coastal rain forrests of Southeast AK. I can tell you all rifles and pistols will rust regardless of being blued or SS and there isn't one of thoese places I wouldn't take a wood stocked rifle. You should check your zero every time you travel to hunt just to be sure something didn't change during travel.

The best way to have a rifle not rust in a humid wet climate is to have the metal coated. Black T, Cerakote, Gunkote, and a host of others all prevent rust better than bluing or plain SS. Matte/Satin finish SS rifles surface rust just as fast if not faster than blued rifles in my experience. The reason for this from what I've been able to find out is because manufacturers don't change out their sandblasting media when they give them the matte finish. The media has small particles of chrome moly in it from blasting CM barrels and actions and it gets imbedded in the pores of the SS rifle. Thus causing your SS rifle to get surface rust.

I've experienced this twice in Alaska once with my buddies SS Contender pistol and my SS Encore rifle. First time I went I carried a .30-06 ADL and it showed no signs of surface rust after a week and my buddies Contender pisto almost rusted shut and we oiled our fireams daily, he just forgot the hinge pin and he kept his pistol in a holster. This last time another friends wood and blued A-Bolt fared much better than my SS Encore for five days of hunting in AK. Both times neither of my rifles showed surface rust until after I got home to CO, but the Encore had more area affected by the surface rust.

I guess my point is that you have to take care of it regardless if the rifle is SS Synthetic, or SS Wood. However wood stocks may take a little more maintenance but that doesn't mean that they can't be hunted with in all enviroments. If SS and wood is what you want then get it because while it take a little more maintenance you can still hunt successfully with it.
Old October 28, 2012, 12:10 PM   #22
Keg

I would have to go with the Tikka T3.....Unless I ran across a good used Win 70 classic FW......
Old October 29, 2012, 11:26 AM   #23
Ben Towe

Laminates don't suffer the same problems as regular wood stocks due to the method of construction, so if you want the wood look and the ability to rely on it in damp conditions that's your only option. There are a plethora of laminate stock options on the net, from gorgeous to hideous.
Old October 29, 2012, 04:33 PM   #24
warbirdlover

Laminated stocks CAN be beautiful. I put my Ruger 77 MkII in a Boyds and had it pillar and glass bedded and the barrel free floated. One hole groups.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg aplus.jpg (105.3 KB, 194 views)
Old November 4, 2012, 08:35 AM   #25
Rjmurrayjr

Kimber makes a stainless/ walnut stock