Share your favorite venison recipes!

Grilled Steaks
3/4 of a inch thick deer ham or loin steaks

Marinade:
In a three-cup sized mixing bowl, combine:
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 - 2 tsp. A-1 Sauce
About 7 shakes of Worcestershire sauce
1 garlic clove (or as much as you like!)
About 4 shakes of Tabasco sauce (optional)
Water (about 1 to 1-1/2 cups, or enough to nearly cover the meat)

Marinate for 2-4 hours. Start the grill and cook over hot coals until meat is slightly pink in the center. Don't overcook or you'll end up with tough meat. YUMMY! (this will be my lunch)

Quickie Steak Sandwiches

thin venison strips
pepper
salt
onions
mushrooms

Cut the venison into thin slices

Pre heat the frying pan on high with olive oil for 1 minute
Add the mushrooms and onions and stir for 1 minute
Turn heat to medium/high and add the venison
Add salt and pepper and stir fry until done

Add to steak rolls and enjoy! Takes less than 10 minutes to prepare
Old October 20, 2001, 12:13 PM   #2
Mad Max

That sounds pretty good! I have to say that my favorite way to use venison is in jerky. It lasts the longest and is delicious with cold beer. I butcher my own deer, and cut the meat into thin medallions or strips. Then I lay the strips out and press fresh ground black pepper and garlic salt into them. Next, I put a couple of pounds of the seasoned meat into a big ziploc bag, and add Kikkoman soy sauce(NOT LaChoy!) until the meat is just covered. You dont want too add too much, or it will make the meat too salty. I usually let it marinate for 12-24 hours in the fridge, then use my food dehydrator to dry it for about 8 hours. Jerky makes good christmas presents, and is about as addictive as crack. I suggest using a food dehydrator rather than trying to use an oven or a smoker -- maybe add a little liquid smoke to the marinade for that smokey flavor.
Bon appetite!

"I don't mind it when stupid people say stupid things. Stupid people should be encouraged to say stupid things, that way we always know who the stupid people are." ~ Ted Nugent - Fox News, 2002.

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death."
[Albert Einstein, "Religion and Science", New York Times Magazine, 9 November 1930]
Old October 20, 2001, 06:03 PM   #3
Kingcreek

ArmySon, That mainade looks pretty close to my secret marinade but I know you didn't steal my secret recipe 'cause if you did, you would know to use apple cider instead of water. best darn base for jerky marinade too. Just be sure to let the cider age till it starts to get some bite to it.
There you go. But promise to keep it our little secret, OK?
Old October 20, 2001, 11:53 PM   #4
C.R.Sam

I use pretty close to Son's marinade cept I like the taste of Tobasco Habeñero better than the regular Tobasco.

Same great for dead pig too.

Sam
Old October 21, 2001, 10:52 PM   #5
ATTICUS

This is a keep it short and simple (K.I.S.S.) recipe that I started using a couple of years ago.

1) Marinate venison chops in Ken's red wine/vinegar salad dressing for at least two hours.

2) Grill over charcoal for a few minutes on both sides- serve medium rare.
Old October 22, 2001, 12:11 PM   #6
Bottom Gun

Here are two very simple recipes I’ve used for years:

Speidies

Cut meat into 1-1 ½ inch cubes.
Marinate overnight in:

1 cup vinegar
1 cup red or white wine
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp oregano
1 oz cooking oil

Grill meat on skewers like shish-ka-bob and serve on Italian Bread

Swiss Steak

Cut steaks ½ to ¾ inch thick and place in crock pot with a jar of spaghetti sauce. Add mushrooms, oregano, etc and season sauce to taste.
Cook at least 4-6 hours on low setting until meat can be cut with fork.
Serve with spaghetti or other pasta.
Old October 24, 2001, 01:11 PM   #7
Long Path

Good luck with chicken fried.

I surprised myself last month by making the best chicken-fried I've ever made, with a big haunch from a large doe I shot a year or two back. (We shrink-wrap our meat, and the meat last forever in the deep freeze. It's amazing.)

My wife took great care to remove every last bit of silvery-white connective tissue. (This may have been the real secret to our success.) We then cut 1/2" steaks that we soaked in milk overnight. I'm not sold on this necessity, but I can't argue with our results.

We then simply put them on a cutting board, put a handful of flower mixed with fresh-ground pepper and garlic powder over them, and beat the flower into the steaks with the back of a butcher knife. Flip the steak, do it again.

Fry in a skillet with medium hot oil, drain over paper towels. Serve with cream gravy.

I've never had better.
Old October 24, 2001, 09:49 PM   #8
HerrJaegermeister

Venison parmigiana

Have you ever had veal parmigiana at a good Italian place?

Try this with venison:

Use prime steak or back loin pieces cut just over a half inch thick

Pound just a little flatter with meat tenderizer hammer (With my Iowa and southeast Minnesota deer, a lot of tenderizing is not needed.)

Dip meat in beaten egg and then coat with Vigo Italian Bread Crumbs and parmigian cheese. 3 to 1 mixture

Cook in frying pan in olive oil on medium high heat. DO NOT OVERCOOK!!!!!!!!!

Serve with pasta and a good sauce (I use my homemade sauce from the bumper crop of Roma tomatoes in my garden)

Serve with pasta on plate, place the meat on the side and cover both with the sauce. Sprinkle cheeze over the plate.

Enjoy with a good Chiante (a red Italian wine)

Your wife or girlfriend will be impressed with your cooking prowess